Want To See A Scorecard Of Votes By Members Of The Georgia General Assembly?

April 9, 2013 13:49 pm

by Nathan · 25 comments

Well, now you can!  Dr. Bert Loftman of Northeast Georgia (was one of ten folks running for the old GA-9 congressional seat in 2010) has compiled a scorecard of how members of the Georgia House and Senate on pieces of legislation.  He has the categories by which he judges the legislation and how the legislators vote on his site.  He gave props to a few house and senate members for very conservatively this past legislative session:

Georgia House

STEVE GOOCH, 51st Dahlonega
BILL HEATH, 31st Bremen
WILLIAM LIGON, JR., 3rd Brunswick
BARRY LOUDERMILK, 14th Cassville

Discuss.

Charlie April 9, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Yet another person creating yet another organization to determine “what I believe” = conservative; what you believe if different that what I believe = “RINO”.

Awesome. That’s exactly what this state needs.

Nathan April 9, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Get your favorite adult beverage ready. It’s going to be a fun election cycle.

John Cook April 12, 2013 at 11:51 am

The criteria for Dr. Loftman’s opinions reflected on the site may cause legislators to consider future legislation from different perspectives. It’s always helpful to try to foresee unintended consequences rather than having to revise or repeal legislation during the next session. Meanwhile, peoples lives and business are impacted while waiting for the next session.

There are links to the Legislature website for every bill considered in the rating. Read the legislation in its final version, as sent to the Governor for signature. You will find that some contain amendments that are absolutely unrelated to the title and summary.

In 2010, House Bill 1055 (Drivers License Fees bill) was amended to include the text of HB307 (Hospital Bed Tax) plus dozens of other bills that increased revenues (taxes and fees) on more than a hundred things including birth/death certificates, fertilizer, organic foods, pet food, court documents, etc, etc, etc. . . .

Mike Hassinger April 9, 2013 at 3:14 pm

When did conservatism become a sliding scale in 2 dimensions?

Lawton Sack (GATA Eagles!) April 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

There is a pie chart.

MattMD April 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I like how he grades from “Patriot” all the way down to a “Threat to Liberty”.

Just another fruitcake, nothing really new to see.

Dave Bearse April 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Wow. I thought you were kidding about the grades until I saw for myself.

Political partisan use of “Patriot” in this manner puts the word on a course to be as meaningless as fiscal conservative.

Cloverhurst April 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

The folks who put this site together, yes including Dr. Loftman are nuts.

This site and google chart have been posted all over Facebook by a guy in Cherokee County named Mikhail Rogelio Kan who can’t spell.

Harry April 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I’m fairly conservative and for example agree with Buzz Brockway votes across the board, yet he received only a gentleman’s “C”. Whoever produced this was libertarian to an extreme. However, as a person with limited time to check on individual records, I find the compilation is helpful.

Charlie April 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Welcome to club RINO Harry. You’ll like it here, though it’s getting crowded.

Harry April 9, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Just because they call us RINOs doesn’t mean we are.

South GA Bulldog April 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I agree. Just another nut trying to tell everyone who they should elect. We have enough Grover Norquist already. Sounds like this guy did so good last time maybe he needs to run again. It really kills me to see people that think just because they run that everyone should listen to them. Most of these types are the ones that get beat. What makes this guy think that he should be the judge and jury?

mpierce April 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

You post on a political blog to attack someone for expressing his political opinion on his website? Seems a bit hypocritical. He certainly provided a lot more information there than you did here. What makes you think you should be judge and jury?

Charlie April 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Every voter gets to be judge and jury. That’s the beauty and the curse of our system.

MattMD April 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

You need to locate a dictionary and look up the word “hypocrite”. That has got to be one of the most misused words in the English language.

mpierce April 10, 2013 at 9:27 am

hy·poc·ri·sy (h-pkr-s)
n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Bulldog expressed his opinion criticizing Loftman for expressing his opinion. Again it seems a bit hypocritical to me.

South GA Bulldog April 9, 2013 at 7:00 pm

It may be a bit hypocritical but I am not the one that is trying to tell eveyone around the State how they should vote. I am just tired of people trying to tell me how they think I should vote when they are from North Ga or somewhere else other than South Ga. They don’t have a clue what is going on down here. I am not trying to tell people how to vote. Mr. Loftman is trying to tell me who to elect. If he was from South Ga then I would not have a problem with him telling me how he thinks I should vote.

Tiberius April 9, 2013 at 8:27 pm

We should use the grades in the opposite way intended and “primary” all the GOPers who scored “A.”

This is especially true in some of the more suburban districts where turnout will be higher in 2014 in 2012 b/c of the Senate primary.

I am glad to see how many “Moderates” and “Replaceables” there are in my north Fulton—Lynn Riley, Wendall Willard, Jan Jones and Harry Geisinger. Any reason to worry about Chuck Martin’s “B.”

UpHere April 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

Harry is my rep and that is downright funny. Harry was a Republican when being a R was not cool. How someone can arbitrarily say he is not is quite offensive.

Tyler April 10, 2013 at 8:48 am

Ed Lindsey is quite possibly my favorite state rep and he got a “D”? Haha, I guess that makes me a filthy lib’ral in Dr. Loftman’s eyes!

Bloodhound April 10, 2013 at 9:44 am

You’re a lover of freedom or a “Patriot” if you voted for a bill that forces someone to get a flu vaccination?

Scott65 April 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I would love to see representatives graded by how the bills they vote for benefit their constituents, and how they dont, or better yet, the votes that blatantly disregard the fact that there even ARE constituents…now that would be a good read

alyssa.kay10 April 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm

How can anyone give Gregory an outstanding rating?! He voted “no” on everything and then showed his fanny by going against the Speaker on the floor! Gregory does NOTHING for his district. In my opinion, the most useless member of the House.

drjay April 15, 2013 at 8:35 am

so is mentioning this scorecard a prelude to the introduction of the official peach pundit legislator scorecard going live here soon?

Nathan April 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

Possibly. We haven’t decided if we’ll use the dartboard method or the stair method of rating.

Comments on this entry are closed.