Morning Reads 3/27/2013

Good  Morning Georgia!

In the words of Kenny Loggins: “This is it!” Gingrey will announce today, let the bedlam begin.

Read this very jaded article on Georgia Southern’s move to the Sun Belt conference. The author must have gone to Georgia State. All I know to say is “GATA.”

Pecan distributor settles discrimination claim. Pecan logs everywhere are now safe!

Georgia receives a “C+” for spending transparency. Hey, it’s a passing grade, baby.

Did Tennessee’s Governor really tell us to “bring it on?” Oh, it’s already been brought it. And that’s a fact, Jack. Who wants to invade with me?

Two interesting stories out of Columbus. Both involving crime.

That crazy Georgia Senate, giving “ferners” licenses. Oh wait, it’s a sensible law that makes logical sense.

Want the low down on Georgia’s entertainment industry? There is a website for that.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.” say Georgia’s blueberry farms.

Incumbent Protection brought to you by the Georgia Senate. Or hogwash. You decide.

In honor of my family’s new pet, Ellie, this song. Bye folks.

1. Ed says:

Its worth seeing the reactions to an article on “The Hater” blog. As if dudes don’t realize they’re being trolled. They probably don’t. Anyway, my real point is that I think there needs to be far fewer football programs at universities than there are, and certainly far fewer hoping to make the leap to FBS or “bigtime” football. This includes Southern and the real GSU.

That said, and this isn’t homerism, there was more reason for GSU to move up than Southern but I still don’t think it was necessarily in the best interest of the alma mater.

If you don’t think bigtime football can have a corrosive effect on people, all you need to know is Buzz Bissinger has become a bizarre dude. (I have no idea if that is football-related its just the best segue I could think of).

• Ellynn says:

He worked on ‘Friday night lights’ so it’s has some football like reference.

My question… Does this mean The Regents and GSFIC have to build them a bigger GSU stadium now (which we will all pay for somehow of course)?

• Ellynn says:

I was talking about Georgia Southern in reguard to their stadium…

I being from Wisconsin orginally, unless it involves a badger named Bucky, or a nice Jesit college team is involved I could care less which GSU is which.

In my world ‘G’ stands for Packer…

• No, the students agreed to pay an additional fee to expand the stadium at Georgia Southern (henceforth THE GSU). Private donations are being taken to build a football facility with offices, equipment rooms, treatments room, etc. at the opposite end zone from the Gene Bishop field house.

This is ultimately about exposure for the University. The birth of the football program in the early 80’s gave rise to growth at the University. The hope is that the same will happen again by moving up.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Ed, March 27, 2013 at 7:38 am-

“Anyway, my real point is that I think there needs to be far fewer football programs at universities than there are, and certainly far fewer hoping to make the leap to FBS or “bigtime” football.”

…Those are excellent points as I completely, absolutely, positively agree that big-time soccer has a negative effect on people and that there needs to be far fewer college soccer programs.

2. Ed says:

Speaking of athletic prowess at Georgia’s universities, I failed to mention the two most obvious schools: Emory and Clayton State.

Emory made a splash over the weekend, winning their fourth-straight national championship in D-III swimming and diving, while CSU’s undefeated season ended yesterday in the women’s D-II Sweet Sixteen, losing to the Augustana College Vikings (a real powerhouse in D-II women’s hoops).

• Lea Thrace says:

And when they reduce those fines they reduce them by something like 85% most of the time. WTH!

3. Noway says:

Kudos to the wingnut Alabama elementary school principal who is forbidding the use of the word “Easter” in the traditional East Egg hunt. The assault continues….

4. mountainpass says:

The peach pundit daily that the gun bill was being held up by the Senate over campus carry.
    A local news report:
    WGCL Anchor Tracye Hutchins asking reporter Rebecca Schramm:
    “Both the house and senate are dominated by Republicans, so why is there a problem passing it.”

Indeed!

• mountainpass says:

Do they hold the cards over lawmakers somehow? Why are the Senators getting weak kneed? I thought they supported 2A.
        As Meadows pointed out: “They(regents) are not elected, the tail Does Not Wag The Dog!”

• Michael Silver says:

The Regents are doing their part in protecting and defending gun control, not just in Georgia but also throughout the US.

Bloomberg and the Regent’s fellow travelers have been very successful in defeating campus carry efforts in many other states. If Georgia allows Campus Carry, then floodgates will open and campus carry will be enacted in many states. We just need one state to take the lead and Georgia can be that leader!

Along with being defenders of Gun Control, the Board of Regents and Chancellor Huckaby are pushing an immoral and ridiculously stupid position. Their solution to the rapes and violent crimes against students on campus is to send background checked Georgia Weapons Licensees to jail for 1 year. To everyone but the gun-control fanatics in the Board of Regents, that doesn’t make any sense.

Licensees are the solution to crime, not people doing the crime.

• Ellynn says:

If you ever dealt with the people who look at Safety & Risk Management for the the university system you would know they are the leash to this dog. They hold the finacial cost (our tax money) of having to insure a campus with that level of liabity. Not to mention how much it would cost (again our tax money) if they were sued out right. I can see the waiver for this now… “we waive the right to all civil legal proceedings for me or my child being shot and killed on campus by a fellow student who we (UG whoever) knowingly allowed to carry a high power pistal into a dorn and they stumbled accidentally while cleaning said pistal while drunk…”

• Michael Silver says:

The Board of Regents doesn’t care about the safety of our kids. At All. This is all about protecting and defending gun control in Georgia and the US.

The only people that will be allowed to carry on campus are background checked licenses. They are over 21 and with an average age in the upper 40’s. They don’t have criminal records and are responsible adults pursuing an advanced degree.

People like that don’t live in dorms. They were like me. Living in a house, going to night classes, while working full-time as a senior executive, and raising my daughter.

The Senate and the Lt. Gov. are trying to pass a bill that would allow them to burnish their pro-gun brochure claims but at the same time maintain gun control in Georgia.

5. Regarding the Georgia / Tennessee water story… the Times Free Press really needs to update it’s stock photo, or Georgia is really behind in updating our welcome signs with the name of the current Governor. 🙂