Friday Morning Reads Quick Edition

March 22, 2013 10:11 am

by Ed · 13 comments

Sorry for the late post. Didn’t expect to go out last night. Yay for that 5:40 alarm clock.

Also, I know it is early but: chag pesach samech.

Music: Kool & the Gang “Summer Madness” Live at the Rainbow Theater in London.

Yeah, so, this weather. It stinks, man. The good news is, this weekend’s rain could bring Lake Lanier up to full pool. That would be the first time since 2011.

Coming late yesterday; a federal judge struck down part of Georgia’s immigration law.

Going OTP might become slightly less odious. GA-400 tolls might be abolished by Nov 23.

If like me you delay the act of registering for stuff til the end, today is the last day to register for the Peachtree Road Race. Look for me on July 4, I’ll be the guy running in shorts and a t-shirt. Also, the shirts this year look pretty hot, so you’ll want to get in on that.

Saxby Chambliss could have expressed his views a tad more eloquently. Some of the memes could also benefit from a little more eloquence as well.

Still need to check out Gio’s. The poultry purveyor got three stars in its review from the AJC. Considering how good Antico is,  that is a slight disappointment.

On the topic of food… your friend and mine at the AJC, John Kessler, published “The Atlanta 50″, a book about Atlanta’s 50 best restaurants. You should check it out. If you were to ask me (you’re not but this is my thread) Yakitori Jinbei and Daddy D’z are co-winners. While on the topic, and yes I know I’m late, RIP to Hashiguchi Jr.

Side note: if you have any interest in the noble art of bonsai, the Atlanta Bonsai Society is bringing in Kathy Shaner this weekend for a workshop. Discussion as usual on Sunday at 1:oo PM in the classroom underneath the cafe at the Botanical Gardens.

Others

This little school you’ve never heard of in Cambridge, Mass., finally made something out of itself last night. Harvard defeated New Mexico for its first ever NCAA tournament victory. How is your bracket looking?

Richard Engel writes for Vanity Fair about being kidnapped in Syria. TL;DR version: it isn’t fun.

If you’re looking to cook something this weekend, make this. Trust me.

These are some decent enough suggestions to improve your cooking.

Ed March 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hmm… if only I had a venue to link to this story… if only….

Jackson High’s Principal Pledges School Will Improve
Having turned-around two Clayton County schools, Stephanie Johnson was brought in this year to shake things up at Jackson High School and transform its culture and academic standing.

The Last Democrat in Georgia March 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thanks for the news, Ed.

Ed March 22, 2013 at 10:26 am

I’m glad I made your life better today.

Ed March 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

Paul Broun interviewed by the National Review.

Things you didn’t know about Paul Broun (who may or may not have been sworn in, has anyone confirmed?): he considers himself a “French cook.”

“I like to cook things with some fancy sauces and stuff that I’ll make at home.”

Also, if he shoots something he’s “gonna eat it.”

John Vestal March 22, 2013 at 10:51 am

Can somebody find out what point Matt Ramsey was trying to make yesterday in the House?

Ellynn March 22, 2013 at 11:08 am

I was already planning on making that cake next weekend. I love that website.

Ed March 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

DUDE. With this and the Nick Cave love, we’re basically the same person on PP.

I’ve had about half of that cake, it is excellent. I would say that you might want to skip the glaze. The cake is moist enough and has enough flavor it could probably stand up on its own.

The worst part about SE is all the stupid-a$$ “12 Food Trucks We Love in Dallas!” or “4 Madelines in St. Louis We Love!” I

Ellynn March 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

I get the SE newsletters so I can link into the food, not the city info.

That’s Dudette by the way…

Where you raised by a Republican and Democrate too? Dinner at my house growing up was interesting.

saltycracker March 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

HB87 takes another hit but the good news is the transporters can afford to pay off more border guards and build better avenues around the fence.
It’s great when the ACLU leads the charge for the exploitation of a group of people at a great public cost.

saltycracker March 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm
Stefan March 23, 2013 at 12:56 am

If they so value Saturday deliveries, I’m fine with cutting Monday instead. Granted, none of this would even be necessary if Congress didn’t micro manage them to death (pensions, mail rate, etc)

saltycracker March 24, 2013 at 8:52 am

There are alternatives to public debt reduction as this community in England is doing – selling off prized public property…….sad and a short term solution:

MattMD March 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I tried that sear steak recipe from the cooking tips article last night. Best steak I’ve had in a long time, it easily rivals the taste of a charcoal grilled steak if you can believe it.

Make sure you ventilate your kitchen (open windows). Do not add the oil directly to the pan, just coat the steak. Watch you’re cooking time if you like it on the rare side, one hour in the oven would be well done, probably 25min for med-rare but your mileage may vary.

Comments on this entry are closed.