Morning Reads for Wednesday, March 20

On this day in history…in 1854, the Republican Party was founded.

PEACHES

•      The Cobb E-SPLOST passes while opponents lose a little more of their tax-hating hearts.
  •      Just in time for Easter, police rescue over 70 bunnies from hoarder.
  •      Man ordered to pay restitution after using city credit card to purchase a psychic website. Didn’t he see that coming?
  •      The City of Acworth works to become certified for the IMAGE program.
  •      We don’t need no stinkin’ ethics. DA investigates Gwinnett Commissioner.
  •      Andrea Sneiderman drops the civil suit against her dead husband’s brother.

JIMMY CARTER

SWEET TEA

• Ed says:

I KNEW IT!

So anyway, not to be too much of a Debbie Downer but man, as much as I love all the ornamental trees blooming and the bulbs bursting (both really make winter worth it) its kind of sad, man. Its all just so fleeting. Once the wisteria are done (missed their entire season last year) its time for summer.

Anyway, point of this post is it just makes me realize its yet another season in our lives that’s gone as we’re on our inexorable march toward the end.

Happy Wednesday?

• Noway says:

Dang, Ed. Does someone need to come over and take the sharp objects out of your reach for a while? Cheer up!

• Ed says:

I’m quite happy, I think heaven is quite possibly a perpetual spring in the SE U.S. (Yay for not getting allergies!), I just hate to see all the blossoms disappear.

1. saltycracker says:

Passing an E-SPLOST is tax aversion for property owners – we can either try to spread 1% all around or see our property taxes increased even more as threatened. At least if it bothers us we can shop elsewhere.

• mpierce says:

That assumes that the projects were all necessary as opposed to “Wouldn’t it be nice to have a new gym and theater.”

They spent $300,000 to have a low turn out election for a reason.

• Actually, I don’t believe an E-Splost would ever lose a high turnout election in Cobb – say a general election in 2012 for example. It gets almost unanimous support from Obama voters (so it starts with 40%) and still gets about 30% of Republican votes.

It could lose a high turnout primary dominated by Republicans. But again, from a democracy turnout standpoint, that’s not truly representative of the county either.

• mpierce says:

You overestimate the 40% base. A large portion of them are happy to raise others’ taxes, but would vote against raising their own.

2. Ellynn says:

As my Ripon born Great Grandfather use to say… “All the strange things come out of Wisconsin.”

3. gchidi says:

Joe Newton in Gwinnett. Again.

I’m an ethics guy. I think the six-month loophole is questionable law in Gwinnett. Plainly, Gwinnett County needs people kicking over rocks looking for dirt, given the string of county commissioners charged with crimes.

And I like Mike Beaudreau personally — we differ on politics, of course — so I find an investigation puzzling. Traditionally, one breaks the law as a commissioner by taking private money off the books and stuffing it in a drawer, not filing paperwork subject to an open records request. The fact that I like Beaudreau doesn’t mean his expenses shouldn’t be scrutinized, though.

Still … Joe Newton. He’s a notorious political operative. I have had conversations with the man while I was a reporter that made me want to shower afterward. I assume that all of this is either very personal between the two men, or that Newton is on someone’s payroll. And that’s a bigger problem. Because he gives aid and comfort to the enemies of ethics reform with stuff like this.

• gcp says:

I don’t know Newton but Porter is correct to investigate. While it may not lead to criminal charges it needs investigation. Too many screwy expenses here to ignore. I voted against Beaudreau because of this stuff. If a politician has to bill the county to go to a funeral just maybe the prudent thing would be not to attend the funeral or just not bill the county.