GAGOP Round-up: Gonna Be Some Changes Made

I suppose many of the county Republican conventions across Georgia could’ve had Bruce Hornsby’s “Gonna Be Some Changes Made” playing in the background.  I lost my reelection for chairman of the Walker County Republican Party by just a couple of votes.  I’ve come to accept the will of our convention and will continue to diligently work for our Republican Party in the future.  I wish my successor, Glenn Roberts, much luck in his new position.  Our county has the same folks on the Executive Committee, but we now have different roles.  I will now be serving as 2nd Vice Chairman of our county party.  Some counties, however, had some major changes in leadership.

Catoosa County, for instance, has a new set of leadership.  The previous leadership didn’t want to continue to serve this term.  Many tanks to Roger Bowman for his dedication to his county’s party.  I am glad that I got to work with him while he was at the helm of the Catoosa County Republican Party.  Former candidate for District Attorney, fellow ham, and friend Doug Woodruff succeeded Roger as chairman.  I am certainly glad that Doug stepped up to the plate to serve in this capacity.  Congratulations to Doug.  I have no doubt that he will do a great job.  My friend Layla Shipman was elected as the next chairman of the Floyd County GOP.  She did a fantastic job as chairman of the Floyd County Young Republicans and as national committeewoman for the Georgia Young Republicans.  Floyd County will certainly benefit from her leadership.

A political mentor of mine (at least, I consider him as such) Chuck Payne is returning to the chairman role in the Whitfield County Republican Party.  My friend Angela Young won reelection as chairman for the Dade County Republican Party.  She has had an interesting journey as chairman.  She became chairman after John Deffenbaugh resigned to seek the Republican nomination for the 1st district state representative slot.  She also had to battle some Republicans in her own county who had publicly endorsed, donated, and campaigned for the incumbent Democrat sheriff against the Republican nominee for sheriff during the general election last year.  I believe that Angela handled that situation and her county’s Republican Party very well.  I hope the Republicans in Dade County will give her the support she needs for the next two years.

To the new, and also the returning, chairmen across our great state, I hope that you will reach out to all sides of our Party.  We may have differing views on some issues, but we are all on the same team.  We are Republicans…at least we profess to  be.  I’m willing to believe that, and I also believe that we can do better if we work together rather than try to divide and isolate segments of our Party.  We cannot continue to exclude like-minded people just because we don’t see eye-to-eye on every single issue.  I believe we probably agree a lot more than we think…we just get hung up on that last 5 to 20 percent.  Sometimes it’s all in the message.

I believe our conservative message is appealing and sound.  We have a lot of folks my age interested in candidates like Congressman Ron Paul, Senator Rand Paul, and other liberty-minded candidates because they actually believe in limiting government.  Sure, they have zeal and may be abrasive, but we have to work with them rather than against them.  I may disagree with the recent opinions that Karl Rove has expressed about how the TEA Party is a liability to the Republican Party, but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t at least have his opinion heard and given respect.  I believe that if a person disagrees with someone, he should disagree with him respectfully.

The term “unity” does seem to fly around like a buzzword and seems to be mainly used by folks who were victorious in an election.  It’s easier to call for unity when you won.  Losing sucks, but that doesn’t mean to pack up and go home (I was tempted for a few minutes).  It’s best to dust yourself off and try again.  We must have a truce in our party.  We cannot continue to fight against each other if we are expecting to keep Georgia in the Republican category.  Trust me, the Democrats may look like they’re in disarray in our state, but I don’t doubt that they are keeping track of what we say and do.  They are searching for cracks in our foundation so that they can try to make them wider and wider.  Georgia may easily end up like North Carolina, Virginia, or Colorado in the next decade or two if we are not careful.  We have to stop the in-fighting.

It’s time for the old and new guard to stop shooting inward towards their allies and start shooting out towards the real opponents.

1. Scott65 says:

I found the following statement on another web site…but I think it needs to be addressed. This is how the republican party is being perceived…and hopefully will be addressed. If anyone has not read about the Tea Party Patriots sponsored discussion on race (they need to) and it makes this hit home even more…quote follows:

“Republican dogma requires multiple exclamation points of alarm over the United Nations, all of government, Democrats, liberals, communists, atheists, Muslims, insufficiently Christian Christians, Christians of dubious sects, the media, Hollywood, Obamacare, brown people, immigrants, sex, homosexuals, uppity women, all of Europe (both as entity and as abstract concept), everywhere that is not Europe, climate scientists, biologists, environmentalists, economists, college professors, bilingual people, urban dwellers, campaign finance advocates, community organizers, several American cities and certain unpleasant history books.
    No wonder nuts like Wayne LaPierre imagine that an American collapse and dystopia is just around the corner; all of modern civilization is apparently ethereal, or ephemeral, or a cruel plot. We are always one health insurance law away from government-sponsored camps, or one overly-tanned immigrant away from genetic or cultural Armageddon.”

When put in one statement like this…its hard to disavow the fact that the majority of the party feels this way. Just look at the Chip Rogers and the like. I’ve seen this kind of sentiment in posts even on this site…just think about it…the republican party is at a turning point…which way it turns depends on those that participate

• rrrrr says:

Disruptions began when he began accusing Democrats of still being the party of the Confederacy — a common talking point on the right.
      “I don’t care how much the KKK improved,” he said. “I’m not going to join the KKK. The Democratic Party founded the KKK.”
      Lines like that drew shouts of praise from some attendees and murmurs of disapproval from one non-conservative black attendee, Kim Brown, a radio host and producer with Voice of Russia, a broadcasting service of the Russian government.
      Republican

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cpac-tea-party-event-racism–2013-3#ixzz2NlASBixe

The Teaparty and Republican folks are being Screwgoogled straight up with “Bovine Scatisticitis” such as this …

• rrrrr says:

There are real issues that need to fixed to restore luster to the “brands”, but this gaggle of goose chases isn’t it.

2. John Konop says:

Ideology verse reality is what the GOP is facing…..

1) We have an aging population with no savings rate and healthcare cost rising faster than GDP. We cannot afford the Dems plan…..and the GOP healthcare plan would create massive hardship……GOP must stop the talking points and roll up their sleeves and get n the game…..

2) Self deportation is not a real immigration reform plan……anti dream act is just not in reality……we need a system that stop the underground labor, protects the boarders and promotes the best and brightest immigration policy…..GOP get on the game…..

3) We need a realistic forieg policy not the policemen of the world concept…..

4) Decrimialize social behavior……

I could go on and on……but the real issue with the GOP is in the mirror…….if the GOP does not get in the game, it will hurt the country via balance…..ideologues are very popular in a echo chamber….

• rrrrr says:

So to get in the game, party “repairs” are in order..

The repair can be accomplished not just by electing the “R”, “T, or “D” after the candidates’ name, but by scrutinizing the “post elected” candidates’ actions and challenging the same. All so they actually adhere to values they spout verbally, with the actual legislation or ordinances that they both develop and support in day to day operations. Pandering to the “population subset of the month” just isn’t going to cut it either.

The conservative message carries weight – but not when it’s spouted by those under indictment, fighting indictment, resigning in lieu of indictment or sentenced by the FEDS for attempting to profit from selling drugs or votes.

Calling out PUBLICLY against such actions and renouncing the “sin” is what’s needed.
      (While working to restore the “sinner” privately so to speak if it so chooses)
      Seems locally that has been something that’s been missing for far too long.

The Republican convention in 2012 came very close to taking a step in this direction by offering a resolution plank to withhold funding support; however, it was pulled at the last second by some very interesting methods.

Even those that manage to dodge legal tangles can still do major damage by claiming to support smaller government, but passing legislation that in fact GROWS government where it didn’t exist as big before. Or by claiming they don’t support “tax increases” but levy “fees” left and right and then vote to increase said “service fees” on one class of citizen, so they can vote a fee decrease on other group during an election cycle. See all the hand wringing over a few sentences called HB 159, so many are claiming cost increases on services if it passed – on items they claim are clearly not taxes, but are being collected on a property tax bill. Like these same services could not be voted on to “formally” become taxes, if they are in fact truly essential items?

These are a few the areas of focus that will make the difference for the long term, if the public at large perceives both sides are as just as “crooked”, of course they’ll end up voting more for the “crooked side” that at least “appears” to be sharing more of what they believe to be ill gotten gains with them directly…

3. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“Georgia may easily end up like North Carolina, Virginia, or Colorado in the next decade or two if we are not careful.”

…Or Georgia could end up being even more Democrat-controlled than those swing states as Georgia (45% non-white) has roughly 10 percentage points more non-whites than N. Carolina and Virginia (each 35% non-white) and roughly 15 percentage points more non-white than Colorado (30% non-white).

4. Justin Tomczak says:

Props to Nathan for staying involved despite coming up short by a few votes. Well done.

I also want to commend Chuck Payne. He has served as Vice Chair of the 14th District and in conversation he and I had a few weeks back he said he was going to go back to serve as Whitfield County Chair to held strengthen his local party. Chuck is as good as it gets.

• Biggon says:

Nathan and Justin, “thank you!”. I’m just seeking to live by my own words, that politics isn’t just about the next election, but it is to be measured by where the country will be twenty years from now. The greatness of America’s founders wasn’t in that they had a great plan for themselves, but many sacrificed all that they had for a people they’d never know… and those people are you and I. The least we can do is to have the same consideration for tomorrow’s generation… and even beyond.