Morning Reads 3/13/13

It’s Wednesday the 13th. Cue scary music. Today’s threat: Attack of the Killer Pollen. Seriously, I can barely breathe.

Newsflash: It’s not legal to run multi-state teen sex rings even in Virginia.

Calling Ace Ventura! Who will save Georgia’s bats from disease?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a budget. And it increased.

More on a story I posted about Monday–victory for right to internet in Georgia. It’s the 3,4479th Amendment, didn’t ya’ll know? We can’t let the series of tubes to get clogged.

Lawyers aren’t all bad. For instance, we’re collecting food for kids during the summer. Find a used car salesman that does that!

See any comets last night? I saw a guy who looked like Will Smith and then I realized I really shouldn’t use my cellphone on a plane when the pilot says to turn off all electronics. See what happened?

Georgia Tech responsible for creating jobs? I blame Brockway. Brockway for Senate. Everyone on the “Draft Buzz” bus.

What’s American Studies? I’m ashamed I had to remind myself we had a Coastal Georgia.

Likely a good idea. Concussions can be deadly and sometimes are difficult to diagnose. Where exactly is the intersection of personal responsibility and peer pressure? That seems to be the competing forces. Kids need to be responsible for their acts; but there is so much pressure from peers, schools, parents, coaches, etc, to “win the big one.”

Gingrey admits he was wrong on Akin. He’s running for Senate, fyi.

Taking out the trash. Sanitation company discriminates on the basis of gender.

Music, please. Until next time, this is Ron Daniels signing off.

1. saltycracker says:

Insurance for retirement income;
    What if we mandated a retirement plan funded by earnings and invested only in secure treasuries ?
    What if the trustees spent all the money ?
    Social Security ?

Then consider the booming cottage industry around the disability portion of SS.

Then consider asking why the rascals involved in corporate or public financial messes get fined at worst and avoid jail time.

2. Ed says:

Another day with black smoke at the Vatican… I’m starting to fear I may not become Pope Zosimus-Telesphorus I.

• saltycracker says:

Keep the faith – The Disney network is there and Josh (GMA) put in a good word for “Ed”.

• Ed says:

I hope I am not speaking out of turn but… the only thing better than being pope? Papal kingmaker.

Turns out they didn’t want a return to the Borgia-era (disappointing for me, yes, but understandable). However, I did a good job in finagling the new guy. You will be impressed.

Habemus papam…mox.

• noparty says:

So define “real cultural war” and define “non-crazies.” My guess is that you will use your own personal ideology as your measuring stick.

Positions on social issues that I personally agree with = legitimate culture war. Or excuse me, that should be pressing civil rights/human rights/social justice issue favored by all educated, informed, intelligent right thinking people.

Positions on social issues that I oppose = phony culture war advocated by crazies.

Is that about right?

• xdog says:

Try to get a grip. Try not to put words in my mouth too.

My views are there is no concerted effort to denigrate Christmas or any other religious holiday and that those who think there is are either ignorant, looking for a fight, or trying to boost their ratings. Pick your own position and enjoy Palin’s latest.

3. John Vestal says:

Saw a ‘NOVA’ or ‘Nature’ or similar about the white-nose fungus sometime last year. Very serious threat.

We were probably bracing for pollen on Wednesday, March 10, 1993….when it was low- to mid-70’s in the ATL area.

Three days later (20 years ago today) we were under several inches of snow.

• Ed says:

I REMEMBER THAT! It was awesome! Especially because everybody was like there are no clouds in the sky, its not going to snow!

4. Harry says:

Always good to remember:
    These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. – Thomas Paine

5. Joshua Morris says:

“Find a used car salesman that does that!”

Butch Miller would like to have a word with you.