Plenty of morning reads below the fold, but this video generally sums up yesterday’s news.
- Today is Crossover Day. HouseTV starts at 10am. SenateTV.
- The County GOP Conventions are this Saturday, March 9. Guess who’s going to be a greeter at the Cobb GOP Convention?? I’ll be there bright and early to say Gooood Morning! to cheery activists… and Charlie.
- Speaking of our editor – he’s in Creative Loafing too: “Tough on Crime” no more
- SB 73 would strike the penalty section of the TIA authorizing the TSPLOST rejected by voters in nine of 12 regions last July.
- Georgia tax revenue up 4% to $796.1M in February
- Georgia Senate approves VC fund. Similar legislation was introduced in the state House of Representatives last year but it failed to gain traction amid concerns over a proposal to finance the VC fund through the sale of insurance premium tax credits.
- Sequestration layoffs were bad, but longer security lines at Hartsfield? OH the humanity. “We are so worried and that’s why we are hoping the President and Congress can get their act together … If the lines get too long, it scares me to death,” Miller said. Chin up, buddy. We’ll get through this together.
- A bizarro South Georgia judge takes a settlement to leave the bench
- Politico sees us: Georgia Senate shaping up as free-for-all
- Barack Obama ‘has authority to use drone strikes to kill Americans on US soil’. Wait – whaat?
- You were watching CSPAN with the rest of us, right? If not, you missed Sen. Rand Paul’s filibuster against CIA nominee
- Completely reasonable: “All I’m asking of the president is that he says in public that he’s not in favor of summarily executing people.” Good recap article.
- While Republicans burn up Senate floor, Obama and White House tweet snow day photos
- Syrian Rebels Seize U.N. Peacekeepers. The U.N. is demanding the immediate release of 21 peacekeepers seized by members of the Syrian opposition in the disputed Golan Heights area between Syria and Israel.
- The death of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez likely won’t affect the oil industry much
- It’s called karma: Russian Communist Party demanded an international investigation into the death of Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez, claiming it was “far from a coincidence” that six leaders of Latin-American countries who had criticized the U.S. simultaneously fell ill with cancer.
- Video: Boehner said the decision to cancel White House tours is politically motivated.
- House passes bill to fund government past March 27
- Rep. Ed Orcutt Says Cyclists Pollute The Environment, Should Be Taxed. “Since CO2 is deemed to be a greenhouse gas and a pollutant, bicyclists are actually polluting when they ride.” He’s ridiculously wrong, but let’s be honest – some mouth breathers really should pay more to roam society.
- Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood Wants Its ‘Harlem Shake’ Video Removed From YouTube
- Thermal dieting: Tapping the Power of Cold to Lose Weight
- Video: Pimps find it easy to target young girls based on their social media profiles. It is your duty to get all up in your kid’s (and in my case nieces’) business when it comes to online profiles.