Smoke Dope? No. Teach Dopes? Yes.

February 26, 2013 11:09 am

by Mike Hassinger · 35 comments

There’s a new poll out from Landmark and Rosetta Stone showing slightly more Georgians in support of a Constitutional Amendment to permit the creation of new school systems than opposing it -but that Georgians oppose any loosening of marijuana restrictions by a margin of 57% to 34%. These results show Georgia (one of the first states in the nation to pass a medical marijuana law) running with prevailing national education trends but counter to national sentiment on the marijuana issue.

Full release and a link to the cross-tabs below the fold.

“A new poll conducted jointly by Landmark Communications and Rosetta Stone Communications reveals Georgia voters are split on the subject of a Constitutional Amendment to allow for the creation of new school systems in the state. The idea of an amendment is supported by 39 percent of Georgia voters verses 41 percent who oppose the amendment.

“Voters who consider themselves to live in Metro Atlanta are in support of this measure by a margin of 48-36,” said Mark Rountree, President of Landmark Communications. “However voters who live outside Metro Atlanta, many of who live in rural areas and in small counties, oppose the measure by a margin of 34-44.”

The idea for a school amendment splits down party lines. Democrats oppose the measure by a margin of 49-31 percent and Republicans support the measure by a margin of 46-34 percent.

“The key to this issue are the independent voters,” said John Garst, President of Rosetta Stone Communications. “They are dead tied at 41 percent approval and 41 percent opposition. If this were on the ballot today the decision would rest with the 20 percent of the undecided Independent voters in Georgia.”

The survey also had bad news for the supporters of loosening Georgia’s laws governing the possession and sale of marijuana. Only 34 percent of Georgia voters support loosening the marijuana laws in the peach state verses 57 percent who oppose relaxing the laws. “Metro Atlantans are more supportive of loosening marijuana laws in Georgia,” said Mark Rountree. “40 percent of Metro Atlantans support loosening these laws while only 29 percent of non-Metro Atlantans do.”

“There is not a single demographic group that supports loosening Georgia’s marijuana laws,” said John Garst. “but as expected the highest level of support come from voters under the age 40.”

Landmark Communication and Rosetta Stone Communications are leaders in public opinion polling in Georgia and regularly conduct joint surveys for WSB-TV in Atlanta.”

Cross-tabs on both polls available here.

Harry February 26, 2013 at 11:34 am

Georgia is actually more socially conservative than I.

John Vestal February 26, 2013 at 11:58 am

But there’s hope for Georgia……which is nice.

Harry February 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I’d be safe and warm
If I was in L.A.
California dreamin’
On such a winter’s day

Just don’t drink and drive.

Noway February 26, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Me, too. Legalize it all. Pot, cocaine, all of it. Open treatment center for those not able to handle their own usage. Tax it to Hades and back, just like you do booze and cigarettes. It sure would lessen prison overcrowding, bringing down those costs drastically.

Rick Day February 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm

the sampling was 800 people, if which 75% were over 40. The question was awkward and leading.

Poll: do you think people should be arrested for possessing small amounts of marijuana?

Poll: should marijuana, as prescribed by a licensed physician to a patient deemed in need, be criminalized?

Do a more accurate cross representation of the age demographic in the poll and watch those numbers change.

Mark Rountree February 26, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Rick, thanks for your thoughts. I actually always do appreciate them.

The demographic weighting was based on a general election demographics in Georgia in a gubernatorial year. People under age 40 actually comprise less than 20% of voters in gubernatorial election years, and our poll of Georgians is designed to reflect this demographic fact.

I appreciate your point on the wording of the question. There is no universally accepted way to ask the question. We used wording that was designed to blend two concepts: we chose words that were not designed to inflame passion (such as “decriminalize”), nor words or terms which would promote support. Your mileage may vary on phrasing, and I respect that.

JayBee February 27, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I have never heard the the term “loosen” used to refer to law reform. Words such as decriminalization & legalization do not inflame passion but reality. I have no idea if the use of any particular word would skew a poll question result. Not sure it matters. I do know that if asked about medical marijuana use all polls across the country show a more favorable result than recreational use. For example AARP has done polling of age 50+ on the issue and up to 65% would support medical while rec. use was 45-55%. Unfortunately a single question poll has little meaning. To fully understand the issue a multi-question poll should be conducted. Something I hope we can accomplish by the summer. Here is a link to a report on what Georgia is currently doing with criminal justice reform. If the legislature and Gov. can “loosen” the penlites for burglar, theft and forgery, then marijuana should also be considered. http://www.pewstates.org/research/featured-collections/georgia-passes-public-safety-bill-85899383862

seenbetrdayz March 3, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Unfortunately, I’m not sure that most people understand what it means to decriminalize something. Decriminalization doesn’t make something legal. It just deals with how violations of the law are handled.

If you run a stop-sign, you aren’t branded a criminal. You did break a law, so a cop may pull you over and write you a ticket. You go pay up in court and everyone lives happily ever after, sort of.

Marijuana could work the same way. A cop sees you smoking a joint, he writes you a ticket.

But that’s not how it works. Now they’ll arrest basement pot smokers, and haul them off to a crowded jail and try to figure out who they’ll have let out to make room for the stoner. Let’s see, who are we gonna parole? Joe the rapist or Bob the pedophile? Gotta make room for a pothead, you see.

wowFAD February 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The cannabis poll was horribly biased. Out of the 800 polled, only 142 were between the ages of 18 and 39, but 209 were OVER the age of 65???

The population of GA that’s over 65 is only 11%, according to the 2012 Census data. Georgia is the state with the 3rd-smallest senior population in the United States, in fact.

Polling numbers:
ages 18-39 … 142/800 = 18%
age 65+up … 209/800 = 26%

It appears as though the folks who conducted this poll are not professionals, as they did not think it ODD that their poll supposes that there are *more* residents of GA that are over 65 than there are between the ages of 18 and 39.

Let me guess… They only called land-lines, not cell phones.

A proper sampling must be stratified and weighted by the *actual* demographic ratios of our state. For example, female responses should be weighted slightly higher than male responses because 51.1% of the population is female, and 48.9% male. Same with ethnicity: white non-hispanic responses would be weighted 55.5%, while African American responses would be weighted 31%.

But that’s only if the sample was collected, PROPERLY and doesn’t have any built-in confounds, like, I don’t know, only sampling people with land-line telephones.

This poll was not conducted or analyzed, correctly.

Mike Hassinger February 26, 2013 at 5:06 pm

@wowFAD – Please note the poll sampled Georgia VOTERS -which is a subset of the population at large. I should have noted that in my own post -it’s kind of a big deal.
You come back with a different weighting using the sample against voters instead of the “demographic ratios of our State” and you’ll have a valid criticism. But not until then.

wowFAD February 27, 2013 at 3:44 am

Mike, thanks for the measured response. Because of your polite tone (measured against the other person who replied), I’m going to be polite in proving, mathematically, that you’re still not getting the numbers right, even if you only take into account VOTERS.

You suggested values should be weighted by voters, so I went ahead and found the voter turnout for all 159 counties in GA, split up nicely by age grouping here:

In exchange for a massage, my girlfriend the beautiful accountant agreed to help me punch in the numbers from the PDF, above (she’s faster on the number-pad). Each page is for each county, the first four rowes of each page are the 18-39 age group, and the 2nd-t0-last row is the 65+ age group. The last two columns on each page have the total registered voters and the total actual voters for each age group. So, for each county, I added up the registered as well as the actual voters for the 18-39 crowd, and put both values into a spreadsheet along side the corresponding values for the 65+ age group.

18-39: 1,991,689 registered and 1,198,170 actual voters
65+: 908,540 registered and 746,899 actual voters.

I encourage you to check my math, but be sure to have a lovely assistant. Just so we’re clear, there are more than TWICE as many registered voters between the ages of 18-39 and about 450,000 more actual voters than the 65+ age bracket.

Yes, it is true the seniors have a higher voter ratio, but not actually higher numbers. So, for the poll to have sampled 209 people 65+, but only 142 between 18-39 is a flawed sampling when weighted against either registered or actual voter tallies.

Did you find out whether or not your poll only called land-lines, yet? Your reply sounded like a plausible explanation, but now that’s been proven mathematically untrue by your own standards.

John Konop February 28, 2013 at 8:07 am

Mike,

I do sampling for risk based analysis all the time, and do think, based on prior data you are correct. What I think that one concept that is off from what I read is that turnout among supportes of the issue may change your results. It is more difficult to measure behavior changes agsinst normal patterns in any analysis. Best example last 2 election cycles with Hispanic and African American turnout and ratios…….Which as you know is why the polling was off…….From what I read in Colorado…..the voters patterns did change when it was on a ballet…..If I did this study I would overlay the differences on voting trends from other states via the issue and apply the logic to Georgia. Obviously still not the best via regional trends may be diferent, probably a better indicator.

As you know this is why parties put ballet issues on sometimes to change demographics……This is common issue when looking at risk via a changing product changing behavior. This is one of the reasons I predicted the last down turn…….you cannot compare short term data on nothing down, with long term data on housing defaults in a market increasing in value faster than the past, and people having not much in the game other than the market going up…..To many moving parts unless I start overlapping,…….and even than you have to be careful……

Mark Rountree February 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

wowFad, thank you for the comment.

The demographic of Georgia’s most recent gubernatorial year is the model that the survey was based upon. If a referendum were theoretically held, it would be on the 2014 general election ballot: also a gubernatorial year. About 18% of voters in 2010 were under the age of 40 and the poll was weighted to reflect this fact. The age weighting is correct for a gubernatorial year.

Second, the opinions of non-active voters are irrelevant to a poll of … active voters. In other words, “residents” of Georgia is irrelevant to a poll of active voters: active voters are the universe of this survey.

Your theory of a secret conspiracy among cell phone users to overthrow marijuana laws is equally unfounded. The age group is the essential factor in accurately conducting general election polling, not the type of telephone they use. The primary problem that occurs when pollsters do “just landlines” is that they don’t accurately reflect the demographic they aim for: in particular, minorities and young people are under-polled. That is not the case here: they were accounted for correctly.

wowFAD February 27, 2013 at 4:05 am

Hello Mark, thank you for the semi-rude response. In no way did I suggest a conspiracy: I simply pointed out a discrepancy I saw in the data. I encourage you to view the polite response I left for the author, who also told me I should consider the VOTER numbers.

Also, thank you for the condescending hypothetical about GA ballot referendums. While all GA State Constitutional Amendments must be ratified popularly on the ballot, I’m aware there is no such thing as a GA ballot referendum. And you’re right: if the issue of medical cannabis legislation came up on the ballot in 2014, that *would* be a gubernatorial race. Pity that no one with a brain in their head would suggest putting an amendment concerning medical cannabis up for ratification on the 2014 ballot; it would be 2016, a general election, like 2012, as I’m sure you know, general elections have a higher voter turnout.

Which is why I did the due diligence your firm was unwilling (or too lazy) to do.

I checked the registered/actual voter numbers for all 159 counties from 2012. For your convenience, the totals are as follows for the two age brackets:
18-39: 1,991,689 registered and 1,198,170 actual voters
65+: 908,540 registered and 746,899 actual voters

Whether counting registered or actual voters, it looks like the 65+ crowd is outnumberd by a rather EMBARRASSING margin for your argument (and your firm), don’t you think? Pretty shoddy work polling 209 seniors and only 142 adults 18-39.

BTW… you didn’t deny that the call list for the poll was ONLY for land-lines.

Yes, I noticed.

wowFAD February 27, 2013 at 4:24 am

Oh, and one more thing. I had a hunch, so I checked the numbers for 2010, as well:

Actual voters total: 2,622,527

Actual voters 18-39 total: 560,378

If you need me to do that math problem for you too…
569,378 is 21.37% of 2,622,527, not 18%.

Feel free to check my calculations, yourself:

wowFAD February 27, 2013 at 4:42 am

Whoops! It looks like I forgot the “other” column.

Actual total GA voters 18-39 in 2010 was 599,372, which is 22.85% of 2,622,527

….still higher than 18%.

My mistake. I shouldn’t have been up so late doing your homework for you, Mark.

Mark Rountree February 27, 2013 at 11:06 am

wowFad, thanks again for your comment.

To restate for purposes of clarity: we poll based on actual elections in which public decisions can be made. 2014 is a gubernatorial election year, hence the demographic of historical turnout models is used for our polling. We did not simply poll “registered voters” because that demographic will be significantly different from those who actually will vote in a non-Presidential year.

We did not call cell-only voters because already weight for their demographic in weighting. I thought I had been pretty clear based on my comment earlier, but you apparently did not catch that. In other words, the under-40 age group, which of course is more likely than older voters to be cell-only, were weighted correctly based on gubernatorial year elections (at about 18% of respondents — which is the same as the actual turnout in a governor’s election year).

You also might check the statewide referenda that Georgia frequently holds. Georgia is not an Initiative state, but it does regularly hold statewide ballot referenda and votes to amend the state constitution. See “charter schools”, for example, in November.

Our job in releasing a poll is to report how the public would vote on an issue or campaign in an upcoming election. It seems you may be more interested in advocacy for an issue that you believe in, and that is fine. But that’s not our purpose.

wowFAD February 27, 2013 at 4:41 pm

“Historical” turnout models sounds like a non-answer inconsistent with your previous statements. You said, and I quote (though I shouldn’t have to; anyone can read it above)

“The demographic of Georgia’s MOST RECENT gubernatorial year is the model that the survey was based upon.” < first line of your first reply, not consistent with this "historical" model dodge.

As already demonstrated: GA's most recent gubernatorial year is 2010…

In 2010, there were 599,372 *actual* voters who got to the ballot box in 2010 from the 18-39 age bracket. In 2010, there were PRECISELY 2,622,527 *actual* voters, in total. Do you dispute this? It's straight out of the .gov PDF I left a link to…

Now, pay attention Mark: 599392/2622527 = .2285 = 22.85%

Which is HIGHER than 18%, so your claim that you based the sampling for this poll on the 2010 voter turnout is BS, as well as your attempt to AMEND what you said to be the turnout from "historical" gubernatorial races.

It's super-cool you had the humility to admit "We did not call cell-only voters" in your most recent comment, seeing as how in your FIRST comment (yes, I did catch this) "The primary problem that occurs when pollsters do “just landlines” is that they don’t accurately reflect the demographic they aim for: in particular, minorities and young people are under-polled. That is not the case here: they were accounted for correctly."
— And as I've proven with simple ARITHMETIC, 22.85% of the voter turnout from 2010 were in the 18-39 age bracket, *NOT 18%*

Wouldn't it have been easier for everyone to just ADMIT from the start you didn't poll anyone who has a cell-phone? Probably not. If you're a pollster worth the name, you are likely already aware of the following CDC report issued in December that says 35.8% of American homes rely soley on cellular telephones:

By your own admission, you under-sampled the younger age bracket based on a model of an election year that has a lower voter turnout (midterm) than in election years. You dodged my guess that you DID NOT call cell phones, suggesting it's conspiracy mongering instead, only to admit to it two comments later.

And you still didn't sample high enough.

Not to get too "conspiratorial" in my advocacy, but I'm fairly certain you latched onto defending that 18% under-sampling and tossed me a plausible answer that *could have been* true, thinking I would not have the diligence to check to see if you're telling the truth. Well, I did check! And you were caught red-handed in a falsehood.

Your firm conducted a very, very POOR survey. Fact. Sorry that I proved it with actual information and not just fluffy talk.

Rick Day March 4, 2013 at 1:15 am

Fully half of American households receive all or nearly all of their telephone calls on cellular phones, according to a new government report released Thursday that confirms the nation’s continuing abandonment of landline phones.
It’s a trend that holds major repercussions for political pollsters who have relied on existing methods for decades — and a wake-up call for an industry that’s increasingly using out-of-date techniques as technology advances.

Tell you what. Tuesday night, I will conduct the same poll at my business. I will get over 800 responses from 18-55 year old’s who would likely vote if the issue came up (as opposed to being motivated to vote in a shoe in), to your very same exact questions. I will also notate the demographics of each one, and phrase the question the exact way the poll did.

Perhaps you could fold my results in with your’s and we can all call it a day :)

JayBee February 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Mark, theoretically if a public referendum was held in Georgia we would launch a voter registration and get out the vote campaign and media campaign that would alter any gubernatorial year voting models. Young voters and new voters would go to the polls for this single issue. Unfortunately, Georgia does not have public initiatives where we could petition to place an issue on the ballot. The only tool we have is a straw poll place on a primary ballot. This issue is in the hands of the few 100 lawmakers under the gold dome. I would like to thank who ever was responsible for the poll question. We are making marijuana a burning issue in Georgia.

Mark Rountree February 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

JayBee, thanks for the comment. You are correct that Georgia does not have public initiative, so the likelihood of this being on any ballot is realistically low. I also agree that if the issue were placed on the ballot by the legislature, or by either political party as a referendum on their primary day, that it has the potential to change the turnout demographic, though it’s more complex to surmise how extensive that change would really be in Georgia in 2014. Well stated.

Three Jack February 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Why do we need a poll to guide us toward doing what is right on a simple common sense level?

Georgia as Mike mentioned was one of the first states to authorize medical marijuana — http://clatl.com/atlanta/doctors-wanted-for-georgias-medical-marijuana-law/Content?oid=7263262 — note that Dr. Paul Broun, Sr. was one of the first to hug Mona Taft who spoke out in favor of the legislation as her husband was going through chemo. Unfortunately we never got around to completing what needed to be done in order to fully implement the rule.

On the federal level, a number of recent bills have been introduced to decriminalize pot — http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/bill-unveiled-to-legalize-medical-pot-88031.html?hp=f3 — this is about HR689, States’ Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act. Also introduced, HR499 Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013, HR501 Marijuana Tax Equity Act of 2013 and HR525 Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013. Most if not all of these bills have only one GOP co-sponsor, Dana Rohrbacher of CA.

Appreciation to Landmark/Rosetta Stone for conducting the poll, but the results should not give cover for the GOP led legislature to avoid the issue. They can either get out front as many other states are doing or wait for the fed to do something that will not necessarily be the best solution for Georgia. They challenged fed laws regarding immigration and healthcare, why not marijuana?

saltycracker February 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Was typing the polls vs. common sense as you posted.
Lots of tax money going under the bridge but why bother if it is another black hole for education. Substance abuse is a health issue.

Many rural school districts should go with some county consolidations.

Three Jack February 26, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Agreed that any tax collections should not be allocated strictly to education. Unfortunately I think it will be a while before we get around to discussing where the additional revenue will go as this is Georgia where Sunday sales just went into effect last year.

Harry February 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Alcohol test

PLEASE DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE.

JayBee February 27, 2013 at 11:04 am

People tend to want to punish others until it is their son or daughter or themselves standing before the judge begging for mercy through tearful eyes. Justice is not always determined by opinion polls. Please don’t be discouraged by any particular poll and just accept the fact that reformers have a big task ahead – educating the public, media and lawmakers why marijuana laws should be reformed. We have legislators who are uninformed that in 1980 Georgia unanimously passed a medical marijuana research act that is still in the books. They are uninformed that 29 grams can get you 10 years in the state prison system. It also should be noted that GA does not have ballot (public) initiatives (referendum). The legislature and Gov. must be educated on the issue. They also need to hear from those who support law reform. Georgia CARE ( http://www.gacareproject.com ) is actively working to change marijuana laws in Ga. We are in the process identifying lawmakers and doing public speaking to groups like Rotary Clubs to get the information out. If you want to change the laws you need to support one of the many orgs. that are working for reform. Reform is happening 1 state at a time. If GA is the last state, so be it. We will have 49 others state helping us! James Bell

John Konop February 28, 2013 at 9:28 am

Good post!

Mark Rountree February 28, 2013 at 11:33 am

wowFad, thanks again for the comment. However, your conclusions and methodology are simply not the most accurate way to gauge the universe we targeted with the poll.

As stated before, the pool of voters we selected was voters who participated in the 2010 election year, which is the most recent gubernatorial year.

• 2010 is … as you apparently missed based on your comments … “historical”. When stating we use historical data, that’s what I was referring to. In your apparent hysteria, you missed my point. But that is fine.

In other words, we base the polling on what we know about recent past empirical data. So we weighted the poll based on voters who participated in the 2010 election year. I trust this point clarifies it for you. You may not like this methodology, but you are free to do your own polling, of course.

• For purposes of accuracy, we also take additional steps in the process that a simple read of election statistics available from Secretary of State’s office, as a statistical archiver, does not. We delete voters from our pool of potential participants whom have moved away or otherwise ceased to be registered. Most of these mobile voters are, naturally, younger voters. We clean up voter rolls and delete people are no longer registered or have moved. Just reading the election results from the SOS site does not provide the proper context for accuracy.

• In fact, regardless of weighting, the election results essentially don’t change. Overall support among among all Georgians for changing Georgia’s marijuana laws is just 33%. Among the 18-40 age group just 35% said they support changing Georgia’s marijuana laws, essentially the same as the overall state average.

Our purpose in the survey is to confirm what the likely election results would be in the next General Election. Those results, as they stand today, are 33% support and 57% oppose. It is certainly your prerogative to make assumptions on what you believe election results would be. But your method is essentially the same problem that the Romney campaign had with their polling: a wrong turnout model that was not based on blending historical, factual data, along with what was happening on the ground.

wowFAD February 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Mark, you’re a liar. Sorry to be so blunt, but I’m getting tired of doing this dance with you. Either pony-up some numbers to refute mine, or admit to being wrong.

1. In 2010, as ANYONE can see by checking the PDF I posted a link for, there were EXACTLY 599,372 voters who VOTED between the ages of 18-39. There were EXACTLY 577,885 voters who were over the age of 65. There were 2,622,527 *actual* voters in 2010.
599372/2622527 = 22.85% (18-39 bracket)
577884/2622527 = 22.04% (65+ bracket)
—***This is quite easy for anyone to check; it’s on the 3rd page of the PDF***—
Your poll numbers are way WAY off, considering the 18-39 bracket OUTNUMBERED the 65+ bracket in voter turnout in 2010. By your OWN STANDARDS, you’re wrong. You oversampled seniors and undersampled young people. BUSTED.

2. My initial guess (just a GUESS, mind you) was that you neglected people with cell phones and ONLY polled people with land-lines. Your initial response was to DODGE my guess by telling me what I already know: “The primary problem that occurs when pollsters do “just landlines” is that they don’t accurately reflect the demographic they aim for: in particular, minorities and young people are under-polled.”
—Two comments later, you say: “We did not call cell-only voters” admitting my guess was accurate. I went further and posted a CDC report that shows, conclusively, that your firm marginalized AT LEAST 35.8% of households who ONLY use cellular phones.

Had you *actually* based your poll sample on 2010, here’s how many you should have called:
22.85% of 800 = 182 betwee 18-39 (not 142)
22.04% of 800 = 176 over 65 (not 209)
——and for the third time, yes, that’s based on the ACUTAL 2010 turnout.

Your numbers don’t even come close. Because you only called land-lines, you HORRIBLY skewed the results. You UNDERsampled the young age bracket by 40 people and OVERsampled senior citizens by 33 people. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you were 73 people off. Kinda hard for you to throw stones at the Romney pollsters, given your glass house.

As to your last point, you’re basing your statements on YOUR POLL. The point of this discussion has been calling the validity of your poll into question. Which I have done quite handily. You have failed to refute any of the numbers I’ve submitted by refusing/failing to post any of your own to prove otherwise.

Tell me Mark, how many people do YOU think voted in 2010? How many do YOU think were between 18-39, and how many do YOU think were over 65???

And how, EXACTLY (show me numbers!) did you “weight” the sample to account for the 35.8% of households that only use cell phones, given that you ADMIT to only calling landline telephone numbers???

Show me real numbers. Quit with the dog and pony show. Have the courage of your convictions and supply REAL numbers to justify the age bracket ratios of your polling sample.

Simply put, Mark… Man-up or shut-up.

Mark Rountree March 2, 2013 at 12:09 am

wowFad, I’ve already answered your questions above. If you choose not to process them, that’s of course your prerogative.

But it appears that you aren’t interested in information gathering, and instead are working out some other kinds of internal issues. Each succeeding comment becomes more agitated than the last.

Angry hysteria is found all over the Internet, as is anxious fervor. They’re part of the political process. Enjoy.

wowFAD March 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Haha. Ya, that’s what I thought, Mark.

It’s pretty sad when a pollster doesn’t have the math-chops necessary to justify his own poll.

I guess you’re more of a PR guy, huh?

This must not be the first time someone has suggested that the reason your conservative polling firm represents so many conservative state officials is that your firm only polls CONSERVATIVES… you know, the ever-shrinking demographic. Which is why you exclude cell-phone-only users from your polls, marginalizing (as you admit in your first comment) youth and minority voters.

You don’t want those darn kids and their non-white friends upsetting your results.

It must upset your calm knowing what a hack polling firm you run. You’re not taking an honest survey of the landscape of public opinion; you’re hired to produce the numbers that your clients WANT to see and not the numbers they NEED to see.

The audacity you have, turning your nose up at Romney’s polls? Staggering!

I’ll eat my own hat if you ever develop the backbone to poll cell-phones, Mark. But we both know you’d lose business doing that. What you and your clients don’t want to admit is people who only use cell phones VOTE whether you survey them or not, and the number of cell-phone only users grows every year.

Had you bothered to read the CDC report I linked, you would have seen that 15% of households have a land-line they don’t use in lieu of their cell phones. How many of those 15% do you think will have their land-line disconnected all-together, and how many land-line users will slowly fall into the mostly-cell-phone, and then the cell-phone-only category in the next five years? 10%? 20%? 25%? One thing is clear: the tide isn’t moving in the other direction.

Your business model is failing. I’d wager you haven’t accurately predicted a single election within your margin of error in the last four years.

BTW… I’ll forever remember our little exchange as the time I showed up a pollster because he could not do simple math. Have fun *attempting* to misrepresent public opinion with your conservative “feel-good” polling, Mark! I’d give you another five years before you’re either forced to poll cell phones or driven out of business for unreliable polling.

Rick Day March 4, 2013 at 1:19 am

Dude, you’ve proven your point.

Let it go, before it causes buttchafe! :D

John Konop February 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I do think if you asked people are they for decimalizing pot you would see even in Georgia it would poll in favor. It is how you ask the question, I could be wrong……

……….Support for legalizing marijuana inched up slightly from 45 percent in September to 47 percent today, according to a CBS News poll, conducted Nov. 16-19. Another 47 percent think it should remain prohibited. A year ago, a slight majority of Americans, 51 percent, opposed legalizing marijuana use………..

……….Eighty-three percent of Americans favor allowing doctors to prescribe small amounts of marijuana for patients suffering from serious illnesses, the poll shows – up from 77 percent a year ago and 62 percent back in 1997. A majority of Americans of all ages – as well as most Republicans, Democrats, and independents – favor allowing this……..

saltycracker March 2, 2013 at 8:21 am

The heated arguments over polls and medical use of marijuana are a side show. We could learn a few things from Prohibition. The reasons we supported Prohibition turned out wrong and the cost in effort and money were a sad waste and our society suffered for it.

Legalize MJ, control it, tax it, fund healthcare programs for abusers and refocus our enforcement resources…..

John Konop March 2, 2013 at 8:43 am

Agree

Comments on this entry are closed.