Morning Reads for Friday, February 22, 2013

– House moves on bill that would privatize MARTA.
– Former owner of salmonella-infested south Georgia peanut plant was indicted.
– Gasp. Outfielders.
OTP poverty growing.
– Love those I-85 toll lanes? How about more?
– It could happen here, you know.
– More than bad traffic due to a presidential visit happened last week. James Carter got a bro-hug from his Number One fan.
Clayton County, ever entertaining.

Steyn: “sonorous, gaseous banalities” or Math Is Hard.
– Not your normal thoughts on deregulation.
Tim Tebow cancels appearance, fireworks ensue.
– 4,700 who didn’t get the AQ top 22 memo.
Thin-skinned New Yawkers.
– Uncle Joe’s bad legal advice.
15 GOP Senators ask Obama to withdraw Hagel. Like that’ll happen…
– Quick, pass out the tin-foil hats!
Bread and circuses.
– Florida Governor caves on Medicaid expansion.
– Chavez still not dead yet.

Random Everywhere:
Sad times. No 2013 Redneck Games.
– FCC hopes to grow Wi-Fi by 35%.
MTV hacked.
– Don’t put bullets in your oven. DUH.
– I’m not addicted. I can quit at any time.
Stephen Green gives Marco Rubio a hand.

1. Ed says:

So put aside the partisan BS, are there any Republicans who are legitimately afraid that Chuck Hagel might be somewhat dangerous to U.S. interests (really, I don’t even know what Republicans are afraid of)?

• saltycracker says:

Wonder what setting the fuel tax at 10 % of the distributor price, collected and submitted by the distributor would do to the equations ?

• Will Durant says:

The HOT lanes are not generating revenue and according to GDOT were never intended to generate revenue. The I-85 lanes did not even pay for their administrative costs in the first year. The I-75/575 toll lane project is expected to use up more than $500 million in GA motor fuel tax monies with no hope of recovering their construction costs that will total near $1 billion. They will be a drain on revenues rather than a source as even the wealthiest among us would reject paying the construction and maintenance costs in a reasonable time frame as in traditional toll roads or bridges. They are simply utilizing taxes from the many to subsidize an easier commute for the few.

2. Will Durant says:

What I love about the I-85 toll lane article is that we finally see tacit admission from GDOT that the previous public hearings on the current lanes were a farce:

But people frustrated that the first project was a done deal before the public spoke last time around can be assured that input will be involved in this project, Georgia Department of Transportation spokeswoman Teri Pope said. “There is a no-build option with this project,” she said, contrasting it to the first funded by a federal grant. “We’re coming out to the public to solicit their input.”

3. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“I will be interested in seeing the outcome of the coming public hearings as I have yet to attend one that convinced me that GDOT was even interested in hearing the public.”

…No comment

4. SallyForth says:

Thin-skinned New Yawkers.
    Hrmph! I happen to be a lily-white Amurcan, and I loooooove fried chicken and watermelon. Get a grip, yankees.

5. saltycracker says:

But pantry tests are fiscally painful.
    Took a cold damp rainy few hours to straighten up a pantry that would make a doomsdayer or a Mormon proud.
    Yikes – the “use by dates” resulted in a garbage can load.
    It hurts to toss unopened containers of Dukes Mayo that expired in Jun ’12.

We obviously need a bill to regulate pantry sizes in new homes. :)