Morning Reads for Friday, February 22, 2013

February 22, 2013 6:53 am

by Obi's Sister · 14 comments

Here:
– House moves on bill that would privatize MARTA.
– Former owner of salmonella-infested south Georgia peanut plant was indicted.
Open.Those.Doors.
– Gasp. Outfielders.
OTP poverty growing.
– Love those I-85 toll lanes? How about more?
– It could happen here, you know.
– More than bad traffic due to a presidential visit happened last week. James Carter got a bro-hug from his Number One fan.
Clayton County, ever entertaining.

There:
Steyn: “sonorous, gaseous banalities” or Math Is Hard.
– Not your normal thoughts on deregulation.
Tim Tebow cancels appearance, fireworks ensue.
– 4,700 who didn’t get the AQ top 22 memo.
Thin-skinned New Yawkers.
– Uncle Joe’s bad legal advice.
15 GOP Senators ask Obama to withdraw Hagel. Like that’ll happen…
– Quick, pass out the tin-foil hats!
Bread and circuses.
– Florida Governor caves on Medicaid expansion.
– Chavez still not dead yet.

Random Everywhere:
Sad times. No 2013 Redneck Games.
– FCC hopes to grow Wi-Fi by 35%.
MTV hacked.
– Don’t put bullets in your oven. DUH.
– I’m not addicted. I can quit at any time.
Stephen Green gives Marco Rubio a hand.

Ed February 22, 2013 at 7:26 am

So put aside the partisan BS, are there any Republicans who are legitimately afraid that Chuck Hagel might be somewhat dangerous to U.S. interests (really, I don’t even know what Republicans are afraid of)?

xdog February 22, 2013 at 9:40 am

Nothing. Everything.

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

Thanks for the news, Obi’s Sister.

oscardagrch February 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

Don’t you mean James Carter….not Jason?

Obi's Sister February 22, 2013 at 10:34 am

Fixed. Good catch!

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 22, 2013 at 8:32 am

“- Love those I-85 toll lanes? How about more?”

…No comment.

saltycracker February 23, 2013 at 10:10 am

Wonder what setting the fuel tax at 10 % of the distributor price, collected and submitted by the distributor would do to the equations ?

Will Durant February 23, 2013 at 1:49 pm

The HOT lanes are not generating revenue and according to GDOT were never intended to generate revenue. The I-85 lanes did not even pay for their administrative costs in the first year. The I-75/575 toll lane project is expected to use up more than $500 million in GA motor fuel tax monies with no hope of recovering their construction costs that will total near $1 billion. They will be a drain on revenues rather than a source as even the wealthiest among us would reject paying the construction and maintenance costs in a reasonable time frame as in traditional toll roads or bridges. They are simply utilizing taxes from the many to subsidize an easier commute for the few.

Will Durant February 22, 2013 at 8:36 am

What I love about the I-85 toll lane article is that we finally see tacit admission from GDOT that the previous public hearings on the current lanes were a farce:

But people frustrated that the first project was a done deal before the public spoke last time around can be assured that input will be involved in this project, Georgia Department of Transportation spokeswoman Teri Pope said. “There is a no-build option with this project,” she said, contrasting it to the first funded by a federal grant. “We’re coming out to the public to solicit their input.”

Obi's Sister February 22, 2013 at 10:36 am

Indeed.

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

“I will be interested in seeing the outcome of the coming public hearings as I have yet to attend one that convinced me that GDOT was even interested in hearing the public.”

…No comment

chamblee54 February 22, 2013 at 11:54 am

The execution of Andrew Cook may be the last one for a while. The state stash of killer drugs expires March 1. Meanwhile, on twitter, there was a sponsored tweet on top of the messages at #andrewcook. The Art Institute of Atlanta won an award for a Dortitos commercial they produced. http://chamblee54.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/is-georgia-smart-enough-to-kill-people/

SallyForth February 22, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Thin-skinned New Yawkers.
Hrmph! I happen to be a lily-white Amurcan, and I loooooove fried chicken and watermelon. Get a grip, yankees.

saltycracker February 23, 2013 at 12:07 pm

PURITY TESTS KILL

But pantry tests are fiscally painful.
Took a cold damp rainy few hours to straighten up a pantry that would make a doomsdayer or a Mormon proud.
Yikes – the “use by dates” resulted in a garbage can load.
It hurts to toss unopened containers of Dukes Mayo that expired in Jun ’12.

We obviously need a bill to regulate pantry sizes in new homes. :)

Comments on this entry are closed.