WaPo reports Gingrey will run for Senate…

February 21, 2013 23:39 pm

by Stefan · 12 comments

with an announcement expected this week. This according to some unnamed Georgia sources and some named Tom Perdue. Of course, they just got that from an earlier TheHill article that said the same thing.

Here’s the link to WaPo.

georgiaconservative33 February 22, 2013 at 12:09 am

There is no doubt in my mind that Gingery is running. I was told 3-4 weeks by a source very close to Broun that Gingery told Broun that they would probably not be friends after the U.S. Senate election. To me, that means that Gingery is going all out to win this thing.

I really do not see how Price can run with Broun, Gingery, and Kingston in the race, though. They split Price’s base. I really, really hope that Price does not team up with Karl Rove. The money has to be tempting, but Rove is a small fraction of what he used to be and he has ticked off a lot of people.

TheEiger February 22, 2013 at 6:42 am

How does Broun in Athens and Kingston down on the coast split Price’s base? His base is North Fulton, Noth Dekalb and Cobb county. You can say Gingrey may take some of his base in Cobb County.

georgiaconservative33 February 22, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I am not talking about the base in a physical location standpoint. I am talking about from the conservative, TEA Party, etc. bases. There are a lot of overlaps between these candidates, and I don’t know how Price is going to differentiate himself enough to stand out.

tdk790 February 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

Broun and Kingston have squat to do with Price’s base. Though they do have weak bases that will be available for pick up in a run-off between the remaining candidates.

georgiaconservative33 February 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

You don’t think that Broun is going to challenge Price for TEA Party support? You don’t think that Kingston experience in Congress is going to appeal to some voters?

John Konop February 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

I do think a lot of people like Phil and Tom in north metro. Not sure how it all plays out, I do think Debbie D, could be a real player in this election. It will be close, not including other people who have not jumped in. And I would bet this will be a run-off election. This election will put many in a tough mixed loyalty situation. It will be a difficult balance between how negative the attacks will be……..Negatives win, but not sure how well it will play with all the cross loyalties……..and if Tom and Phil are both in, this opens up chances for non metro Atlanta candidate. But unless a strong statewide candidate jumps in, I do think at the end, after run-off, it will be Phil or Tom winning verse any of the other congressmen who makes the run-off.

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 22, 2013 at 7:56 am
Dave Bearse February 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

Yeah. But’s he’s got Georgia voters six month attention span going for him, and his remarks will be a 15 months from now when primary campaigns are in full swing.

TheEiger February 22, 2013 at 8:52 am

Yeah, but someone with money will be able to remind voters that that he said if you can’t have a baby just drink a glass of wine and relax and his recent comments about guns and people not needing them for anything other than target practice.

Noway February 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

When all of this senate business first came out Price was the sure bet. Now, he probably won’t. What’s up with that?

Charlie February 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

I’ve got a post coming up shortly that will address this in the bigger picture. In the mean time, I stand by my assertion that no announcement from Gingrey is pending, though the “rumor” now stretches this timeframe out over a week or so. That’s kind of like me predicting it will be warm and sunny one day in the near future. If it happens, I can claim I said it first.

xdog February 22, 2013 at 9:53 am

Yeah, why wouldn’t Gingrey highlight the announcement somewhere closer to home.

Comments on this entry are closed.