Rumor Has It…

…via Twitter that Seth Harp is running for GAGOP Chairman.

… and via FB that “[Rep Phil Gingrey is] running [for US Senate].  Tom price is not and Paul Broun is running.  Phil is our congressman and we heard last week.”

1. John Konop says:

I am in the same district as Phil Gingrey, and we have gotten polling calls about him running. Phil is a very well liked, respected and responsive to his district. I do think looking at the house members Phil and Tom Price would be the front runners. They are both well liked in the north metro Atlanta, which has the biggest amount of GOP voters in the state. I may be bias, since I like Phil and Tom, but I am a numbers guy, and it seems fairly clear. The curve ball is if statewide candidate jumps in, with solid north metro connections. That is why Casey, Karen, Sonny…….would really make it interesting. I think they may have an advantage via a statewide network, with strong connections in north metro Atlanta. The final wild card in the primary is Debbie, in a tight race her support could swing it for that candidate. Agree or not with Debbie, she does have reach, I saw it in Cherokee county with my own eyes. In a low turn out off year election her influence is even higher.

• Bob Loblaw says:

Please. Cherokee has its TEA-ndencies. There’s 158 other counties out there.

This is a U.S. Senate race. Even the Governor is out of helping winnow the field. Off-year maybe in the sense that the Prez ain’t on the ballot, but we’ll have a Governor’s race and a U.S. Senate race along with several open seats for Congress and the trickle-down effect to the open seats that will pop up in the General Assembly for those running for Congress. There will be plenty of attention drawn to this campaign.

• Three Jack says:

Good if Gingrey runs, hopefully as his only race so that we can get a decent representative for the district.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

+1 on Phil “I would be willing to listen to the possibility of the capacity of a magazine” Gingrey.

2. Thomas Waters says:

If true, I would think that Jack Kingston would be the front-runner among the state’s current congressmen. An entry from a state-level figure Cagle or Handel might change things, but without Price, the race would seem to be different from what we expected when Chambliss first announced his retirement.

3. Baker says:

Tom Price will run. If he doesn’t he’s crazy. Unless he think he might have a shot at Speaker-ship before 2020. This seems unlikely to me, but who knows. That Senate spot is gold for media attention and whatever else you want (insider trading is another popular Senate pastime, but Price is better than that).

He’ll definitely run.

4. tdk790 says:

Bad, bad sourcing here. That being said, the content of these “rumors” are discomforting.

GAGOP: In a time where we need someone to lead the party into a place where we can grow as a party, we have a terrible field.

GASEN: First, this is useless because there is a 0% chance that one person has an inside track into the inner circles of 2 or 3 different Congressmen. But if the field does turn out to be Gingrey, Broun, Kingston with no Price… the winner will not be one those 3 remaining. Again, terrible field.

5. Napoleon says:

Got this email from Seth Harp this morning:

Dear ******:

Like you, I am proud to be a conservative. I love Georgia, America, and our Constitution.

Together, we worked hard this past election cycle to try and elect Governor Mitt Romney and Representative Paul Ryan. And while we came up short nationwide, we are thankful Georgia remained red, but we share a deep concern about the Obama Administration and how their policies will translate to Georgia.

Georgia needs a strong and united Republican Party to both advance our conservative values and oppose the liberal agenda.

Like you, I am thankful for the service of our outgoing state Chair, Sue Everhart. Sue has worked tirelessly to support our candidates and grow the grassroots of our Georgia Republican Party. As we move forward to the 2014 and 2016 election cycles, we are faced with the task of selecting our next state Chair for the Republican Party in Georgia.

I believe Georgia Republicans deserve a Chairman who will manage your State Party with the highest level of professional ethics, integrity, and objectivity. I believe Republicans in Georgia deserve a Chairman dedicated to working with, and listening to, the grassroots of our Party.

We need a Chairman who knows it is the grassroots who deserve to have their values and their concerns placed at the top of the agenda because without the grassroots, there is no Republican Party in Georgia.

After much prayer and with the full support of my family, I am pleased to announce my candidacy to serve you as your next Chairman of the Georgia Republican Party.

If, like me, you want a Chairman who understands the point of our Party is to elect solid conservatives and promote principles which advance limited Constitutional government, and, if like me, you want a Chairman who understands we must unite together to advance our values to defeat liberals – then I ask for your vote and support in my campaign to advance a conservative Reagan agenda across Georgia and on the board of the Republican National Committee.

Over the next several weeks, I will be reaching out to you so I can listen to your ideas and, together, we can send a message to the Republican National Committee and Republicans across Georgia – the Georgia Republican Party stands for unity, conservative values, and puts principles ahead of politics.

God Bless America.