Legislator wants redistricting taken away from General Assembly

February 15, 2013 11:31 am

by Bridget Cantrell · 13 comments

lolz – Good luck with this one, Senator.  Interesting idea though.

ATLANTA | Seven private citizens would draw election boundaries instead of politicians under legislation introduced Wednesday by Sen. Hardie Davis, D-Augusta.

“We’ve got a unique opportunity in advance of the 2020 redistricting,” he said. “I think the citizens across the great state of Georgia have always wanted to have the opportunity to have the best representation from their communities. For so long, this has been a political process that truly needs to be de-politicized.”

Senate Bill 122 and Senate Resolution 222 would set up a referendum for voters to decide on amending the constitution to create the mechanism for the redistricting commission.  They require approval from two-thirds of the House and Senate first.

novicegirl February 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

Ha, I’m sure he does want a change. Can’t wait to hear how the “private” citizens are chosen.

Ed February 15, 2013 at 11:50 am

(1) One member appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
20 (2) One member appointed by the minority leader of the Senate;
21 (3) One member appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives;
22 (4) One member appointed by the minority leader of the House of Representatives;
23 (5) Two members appointed by the Governor, only one of whom may be a member of
24 the same political party as the Governor; and (this was cut off in my copy and paste) one elected by the six.

Yeah. That’ll really take the politics out of redistricting.

novicegirl February 15, 2013 at 11:57 am

Ha. Only way to make it fair would be to throw darts at the phonebook, but then again, it would probably cause gerrymandering against the Generation “Y” crowd.

Ed February 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Also, if putting it in the hands of citizens, I have no doubt we would run afoul of DoJ requirements every time.

novicegirl February 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Yes, nothing like the no-politics of a “private citizens commission” clashing with the no-politics of the DOJ requirements.

Dave Bearse February 15, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It would be interesting should the Lt Gov be of the minority party.

saltycracker February 15, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Redistricting should be void of considerations of race, age, sex, religious affilation or political inclination. It is about where folks live and desire to choose who leads them.

Redistricting should be by proximity based on neighborhood, township, zip code, city, county and state. Resulting districts should be related in some concentric pattern by trade areas or geography.

Ed February 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I’ve pointed this out before but that’s not a solution to gerrymandering… I don’t think there is anyway to do it that won’t result in arbitrary lines. With what we have now, districts are a unified voice (more or less). But because boundaries don’t look natural (somehow squares do?) people don’t like them. Meh.

saltycracker February 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Natural is to answer a question like blacks, gays, seniors, youth, protestants, democrats……are not fairly represnted ? BS

Napoleon February 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

Should be, but the Voting Rights Act says otherwise.

Howard Roark February 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Someone please post the maps done by the KGB years ago.

gchidi February 18, 2013 at 3:08 am

Redistricting is political. It’s about the most nakedly political thing in government.

I hate the gerrymandering abuses and the petty score-settling involved. I think a nonpartisan commission of non-office-holding citizens is a lovely idea. I think we’d get legislative seats that look rational, with competitive elections helping keep our government honest.

I also think the chances are pretty small that we’ll get one unless it’s 2018 and the legislature is about to flip Democrat. Under those circumstances, I can imagine Republicans all of a sudden wanting to play fair with district lines.

elfiii February 18, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Now that I have finally been redistricted out of the Hell Hole 4th and into Nirvana, the 6th I find gerrymandering to be a very compelling method of drawing district lines as long as I stay in the 6th.

Comments on this entry are closed.