Morning Reads for Thursday, February 14th

February 14, 2013 6:12 am

by Bridget Cantrell · 15 comments

536969_312712005498857_1008286355_nGooood morning from Colorado!  Ain’t no party like a Breckenbridg party… and Happy Valentine’s Day.  Here’s hoping you’ve already made reservations for tonight.  Maybe Open Table can help the stragglers? OR Waffle House Offers Annual Candlelight Valentine’s Dinner.

From wikiSt. Valentine’s Day began as a liturgical celebration of a Christian saint named Valentinus. Saint Valentine was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians. During his imprisonment, he is said to have healed the daughter of his jailer Asterius. Legend states that before his execution he wrote “from your Valentine” as a farewell to her.

The day was first associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. By the 15th century, it had evolved into an occasion in which lovers expressed their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards (known as “valentines”).

whitney

From what I can tell, today’s translation is roughly “Is THIS what I mean to you?!”  A quality make-up experience is probably gonna be highlight of your day, gentlemen ;)  Good luck.

Pucker Up Facts

• The average woman in the world has kissed 29 men by the time she gets married. In the U.S., the average is 80.
  • Men who kiss their partners before leaving for work average higher incomes than those who don’t.

Morning reads are below the fold…

Georgia

Inter/national

Whatevs

Ed February 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

Way tl; dr–that said did anyone else have really bad issues with NPR this morning? The national feed was all weird but then the local feed was OK. This was when I was waking and getting to work, 5:34 to 6:27.

I can’t believe I know exactly when I woke up and got to work.

greencracker February 14, 2013 at 8:13 am

i can’t believe I thought of you the moment I heard the Pistorius news. On a healthy NPR feed.

Ed February 14, 2013 at 8:22 am

Awww.

Spacey G February 14, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yes, it was all jacked-up. It came back eventually, but the national folk sounded like they were broadcasting from a cave in Tora Bora.

Lea Thrace February 14, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I thought my hearing had gone all wonky again. Glad to know the issue was on their side and not mine cause I was gonna make an appointment w/ my doctor.

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 14, 2013 at 8:18 am

Thanks for the news, Bridget.

John Vestal February 14, 2013 at 8:45 am

Much of “The Internship” was filmed at and around GT last summer.

Baker February 14, 2013 at 9:07 am

And, as with any movie filmed in or around Atlanta since Driving Miss Daisy, it will likely be terrible. DMD was the last good one and that was 1989 (although I heard Flight was good). TV shows don’t count zombie fans.

janna February 14, 2013 at 9:51 am

What about Zombie movies? Parts of Zombieland were filmed in Atlanta. Zombieland is hysterical!

Baker February 14, 2013 at 10:11 am

You’re right. Forgot about Zombieland. We have a winner!

drjay February 14, 2013 at 9:05 am

the jeopardy teen tourney was fun to watch, esp with my 12 year old trivia geek. there were several kids from ga in the tourney–i’m guessing they had a tryout in atl or something…the kid who won is pretty cool…

Baker February 14, 2013 at 9:08 am

Leonard was awesome. 3 of final 6 were Ga kids. Very cool.

Baker February 14, 2013 at 10:50 am
Ed February 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

When else will I get to link to the greatest Valentine’s Day card ever, of all time?

gcp February 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Obama changes to pro-gay marriage, Kasim Reed changes to pro-gay marriage. Obama is concerned about school violence, Reed becomes concerned about school violence. Obama comes to Decatur to support pre-K, Reed appears on channel two supporting pre-k. Reed appears regularly on Meet the Press to support Obama’s positions. If you want Reed’s position on anything just check with Obama.

Comments on this entry are closed.