Erickson Draws Pointed Questions at Founder’s Day Event

February 14, 2013 11:23 am

by Bridget Cantrell · 16 comments

Erick

UPDATED: Erick’s write-up on Red State - Peddling Tolerance.

I missed this write-up from The Telegraph in the Morning Reads.  H/T to Baker at TJP.

When student Melissa Plyler stood up to address Erick Erickson on Wednesday, she drew a round of applause for her feisty question: “What do you believe defines a feminist?”

The query came after Erickson fielded a number of questions about his blunt opinions on feminism during a question-and-answer session at Mercer University. Students and faculty challenged the Fox News political contributor on a range of topics, mainly involving controversial statements Erickson has made.

The event was a first for Mercer’s Founder’s Day, which has fueled controversy since Erickson, a Mercer alumnus, was invited to be speaker. Responding to an outcry from some students and faculty, the Student Government Association held the question-and-answer session in addition to the traditional Founder’s Day celebration Wednesday morning.

Et tu, Erick?

A student asked about another comment that many people deemed offensive: Erickson’s defense of the Augusta National Golf Club’s ban on women.

“I don’t have a problem with men having all-men events or women having all-women events,” he said. Someone followed up, asking Erickson that if people should be able to do what they want, shouldn’t women be allowed to join men’s golf clubs?

“If men wanted them to be part of it,” he said. “If not, (men) shouldn’t be forced to” include women, he said. Another audience member shouted, “What about African-Americans?”

Erickson replied that racial issues are different from women’s rights because of history and the way black people have been treated in the past.

“We didn’t have hundreds of thousands of people die on the issue of feminism,” he said.

It seems like it would’ve been a fun Q&A to attend.

Noway February 14, 2013 at 11:30 am

Heard him talking about it last night on his show. It sounded hilarious!!

Spacey G February 14, 2013 at 11:38 am

Oh dear.

Noway February 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Spacey, do I detect some trepidation in your text? LOL!

Spacey G February 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Erick + trepidation + me go way back.

Ed February 14, 2013 at 11:39 am

A quick Google of Melissa’s name finds she gets offended by things way too easily.

Bridget Cantrell February 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

The same can be said for me, Ed. ….as well as yourself.

Ed February 14, 2013 at 12:02 pm

WHAT????!!!!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!!!!!

I DO NOT!

ICARUS, DELETE THAT POST FROM BRIDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baker February 14, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Thanks for the HT Bridget!

Joshua Morris February 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Not the best answers on Augusta National, IMHO.

drjay February 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

unless my memory is failing me–the main problem is that it is a misrepresentation of augusta nat’l policy on the matter. as i recall, when this first became an issue back in like 02 or 03, hootie johnson laid out that there was no policy against having female members, it’s just that they don’t have any, and that they one day might have them, but it won’t be at the point of a bayonet (or similar language) it will be on there own time table…in fact i was actually quite disapointed that they even released any statement or let it be known that they had admitted any women to the club…it has always been angc policy to not discuss membership issues–it would have been way cooler for the world to find out there were women members when was was spotted on the veranda or sitting at a tee box this april during the tournament…

elfiii February 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm

@ Joshua Morris – Not the best answers on Augusta National, IMHO.

So you believe the notion of freedom of association is passe or did I read you wrong?

Joshua Morris February 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I just believe that private entities have the right to make their own policies, so long as they don’t violate the law. The only response to whether they admit any particular group should be the natural first amendment response of public opinion and losing or gaining business from potential customers.

elfiii February 14, 2013 at 6:38 pm

OK. I go a little bit further. Private entities have the right to exclude whoever they want, regardless of the law. I take freedom of association to mean exactly that. You are free to associate with whomever you please and free to not associate with whomever it does not please you to associate with, regardless of the reason it does not please you to associate with them.

Napoleon February 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

People seem to forget freedom of association is also part of the 1st amendment.

Noway February 14, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Man, I was looking for a way bigger donneybrook with this than we’re getting….Well damn!

Ron Daniels February 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm

As a Mercer alumnus, I’m glad they had Erick speak.

I will note, however, that Erick also spoke at the law school two years ago. I may, or may not, have had something to do with that.

Comments on this entry are closed.