We can has football 2?

It looks like Kennesaw State is going to have a football team for the 2014 season. Well this is at least assuming they find a coach and recruit players. Finding a conference that has football probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Should these efforts fail, they feel they’ll definitely have one for the 2015 season.

According to the AJC

The Board of Regents approved the university’s financial plan to support football and other Title IX initiatives on Wednesday, fulfilling a dream that began in 2008. KSU hopes to play as possibly as early as 2014, but more than likely will start in 2015.”

Student fees will go up, and a sponsor has been found, though unnamed. Anyone willing to rent a box for $35,000 to watch a Kennesaw State game?

1. Baker says:

Look, I’m just gonna come out and say it…our obsession with football is unhealthy. Wth does Kennesaw State need football for? Student fees to go up also? Awesome. I thought football is a great way to bring in revenue? Oh wait, that only applies to a handful of teams that do bring in a boatload of $$.

It’s not that I don’t like football, I’m a big UGA fan and was glad to hear Mark Richt got a raise, but we need to keep it in perspective….and we definitely aren’t.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Football adds immensely to the social element of a university, which is important for a school like Kennesaw State which is trying to make the transition from being a commuter school to a residential campus.

Football games are not just a sporting event, they’re an important on-campus social event as the entire social scene of a campus in the fall often revolves around football games (Homecoming, dances, parties, etc).

• Baker says:

I hear ya, but I went to a school that, while we had a football team, it certainly wasn’t the central feature of our university. You are mostly right though, but I think that’s just part of my point. A school shouldn’t have to rely on a football team for social planning purposes.

Most importantly though, if the football team actually makes money, then whatever, it’s fine. I’m afraid though the team will likely lose some $$. I’d be happy to be corrected on that though.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Even when a football team struggles, it still brings the campus out and the student body together.

The football teams at my school struggled mightily when I was there, but everyone still came out to be seen and socialize and have fun and cerebrate being on campus/back on campus in the fall.

Football is much more than just a game, its seeing old friends, seeing new faces, making new friends, seeing and hearing the band. It’s an important part of our culture.

• Baker says:

too important…

Those things you said can be, or should be able to be, accomplished without a school forking over the loads of $$ it requires to field a football team…and I hesitate to say this because it’s a different story, but the worship at the altar of Almighty Foosball also costs cities and states $18 BILL in subsidies to the NFL since 1992. That’s all a part of this. We’re sick. Again, I’m not saying football isn’t great and I don’t love going to games, but our balance is waay off.

• TheEiger says:

Stop, please before you hurt yourself. If you don’t like football don’t go to a school that has a team or don’t send your children to one that has a team. Stop trying to make everyone who loves watching football on a Saturday with a cold beer in their hand feel bad. It isn’t going to work. Just because you went to a school with a crappy team doesn’t mean the rest of us did.

• TheEiger says:

First game of the season… 1,423. By the end of the season…2,000.

I don’t know, and honestly don’t care. If they want to come they will. My point is that your whole argument is to try to make the folks who do show up on a Saturday feel bad about doing so.

It has already been pointed out that the vast majority of football teams support themselves and often all of the other sports programs at a school as well. Also, Kennesaw State will be picking up a new women’s support because of title 9. Whatever that sport is, it will more than likely be supported by the football program. It’s a fact.

You try to wrap into your argument the subsidies that cities give the NFL. That has nothing to do with Kennesaw State having a football program. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

• Ed says:

” My point is that your whole argument is to try to make the folks who do show up on a Saturday feel bad about doing so.”

Reading comprehension fail. (This means you totally missed what he was saying.)

• mpierce says:

NCAA Report – Table 4.11
                      2010 Division I – FCS Football
                      Median generated revenue 838,000
                      Median Expenses 2,576,000

The football team likely won’t support itself much less any other sports.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

I agree with that it is a sickness when it comes to NFL subsidies, though subsidizing a pro football team has become mainly for purposes of boosterism (gone awry) while college football comes from a different place culturally that is supposed to be mainly a celebration of institutions of higher learning.
              Though with all of recent conference realignment insanity as of late, some of which has involved blatant cash grabs, I can’t necessarily disagree with your assessment about the sickness part when it comes to college or even high school football.

• TheEiger says:

“Can’t a college just be considered great or a good place to attend without a football team?” – The answer is NO. If someone tells you other wise it will be a lie from the pits of hell. We live in the South where the year starts in September and ends in early January. Nothing else matters.

2. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

“It looks like Kennesaw State is going to have a football team”

…COOL!

“Student fees will go up”

…NOT-so-cool.

3. drjay says:

i remember the first time i set foot in sanford stadium like it was yesterday–it was like a carnival, it was like nothing i had ever experienced before, it set the tone for experience in athens…

4. TheEiger says:

@ Ed, I believe I can read and comprehend what I read. Baker said, ” Look, I’m just gonna come out and say it…our obsession with football is unhealthy.” Meaning, those who like football have an unhealthy obsession with watching football on Saturday with a beer in hand. Go troll somewhere else.

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

That’s a good question. I would have liked for Southern Poly to have had a football team years ago.