Handel Crushes Hill

February 12, 2013 12:30 pm

by Mike Hassinger · 12 comments

A poll conducted by Wenzel Strategies out of Columbus, Ohio showed former Secretary of State Karen Handel far, far ahead of all the competition in a potential primary match-up for Georgia’s 6th Congressional District. 40% of the voters surveyed said they preferred Handel, while only 13% opted for Hill, and nobody else broke 5%. Toplines here. Politico summary here.

What does this poll, conducted before Rep. Price’s announcement that he would wait until may to announce his plans, mean for Karen Handel, Judson Hill, Jan Jones, Chris Carr, and John Albers? The other category was “not sure.” Make of that what you will.

Psst! Subscribers to the Peach Pundit Daily knew all this first. Sign up here.

tdk790 February 12, 2013 at 10:26 am

Wow.

I suppose Handel crushes Hill, Albers, Jones, Carr, and MacGinnitie was too long.

TheEiger February 12, 2013 at 10:34 am

No way that Judson Hill runs. Did you see what he did in the AG race of 2010? “I’m in and running for Attorney General. What? Sam Olens is running? I never said I was running for AG. I said I was thinking about it.” He knows he can’t beat Handel and is too scared to loose his Senate seat. If Price runs for Senate you will have Handel, Albers and Jan Jones with the backing of the Governor in that race. Maybe someone form Dekalb.

Bob Loblaw February 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

Price runs, Judson runs. No doubletalk!

elfiii February 12, 2013 at 10:54 am

Great. After 20 long years wandering in the wilderness of the 4th I finally get gerrymandered back into the 6th, finally have representation only for him to bail and run for the Senate.

He would make a good Senator but I am not much enamored with his potential replacements.

Chris Huttman February 12, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Alternate headline: Handel poised to run for term she might actually complete (since it is only two years).

tdk790 February 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Pssst. Nathan Deal, Eric Johnson, and Karen Handel all resigned to run for Governor.

View from Brookhaven February 12, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Name recognition matters at this point.

I read the first paragraph, then only opened the link because my mind couldn’t come up with who “Hill” was.

Kind of disappointed that it wasn’t Hank (or Victor!)

northside101 February 13, 2013 at 9:36 am

Poll showing Handel lead should be expected given her performance in the current 6th CD nearly three years ago. Under the current 6th CD lines (as opposed to the lines in effect prior to 2011 redistricting), she got 54% in the district in the July 2010 Republican primary, with 15% for Deal, 17% for former State Senator Eric Johnson (who finished third statewide in that primary) and 12% for 16-year insurance commissioner John Oxendine, with 2% combined for 3 other candidates. In the subsequent runoff with Deal, she got 65% in the new 6th CD (73% in the Fulton portion, 62% in DeKalb portion and 57% in Cobb). Her 65% showing in the 6th was not quite enough to beat Deal in the runoff, though; in round 1 (July 2010 primary), Handel led Deal by 25,000 votes in the district, but by a much smaller 18,000 in the runoff—a contest she lost by barely 2,500 votes.

concerned GA February 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm

No way John Albers gets any traction….both political and business leaders think he is a joke, self serving and strange. Like a poor fitting suit

John Konop February 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Karen is the obvious choice! If she runs, though not in my district, I will donate money. I hope some of you will help as well.

Harry February 13, 2013 at 9:23 pm

It’s hers if she wants it.

The Last Democrat in Georgia February 13, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Donating money is a good idea, Mr. Konop.

Comments on this entry are closed.