Rep. Tom Price Announces… Wait For It.

February 11, 2013 13:43 pm

by Mike Hassinger · 10 comments

Legen-da… No.  US Rep. Tom Price will focus on the immediate and urgent things before saying anything more about his potential run for the US Senate seat that Saxby Chambliss won’t seek in 2014. “To announce a decision before May, 2013 would be districting and unwise.” Full release below the fold. What does this do to all those ambitions in Georgia’s 6th CD?

Roswell, GA – Congressman Tom Price, M.D. issued the following statement today on the timeline for his decision to run for the U.S. Senate, saying:

“There has been speculation and questions about my seeking a seat in the U. S. Senate for many months.  Since Saxby Chambliss announced his retirement, I’ve talked with hundreds of Georgians across the state, seeking their input and listening to their advice.  They have overwhelmingly voiced their continued support and encouragement.  The remarkable wisdom and grassroots feedback I’ve received has been verified by internal polling, showing a clear path to victory, and an outpouring of financial support – more than $300,000 raised in less than two weeks.

“In November of 2012, the citizens of Georgia’s Sixth Congressional District re-elected me to represent them in the U. S. House of Representatives.  This is a great honor and serious responsibility.  As Vice Chairman of the Budget Committee, I’ve been entrusted with a leadership position by my colleagues.  My current focus is on the formulation of a sound Budget Resolution, a plan to balance the budget within ten years and correct the many problems created by the Obama Administration.  The complexity of our fiscal crisis requires daily strategy and discussions to diligently tackle key issues including sequestration spending reductions, how Washington is funded, and the debt limit.

“The urgency of our country’s problems is not to be taken lightly.  Public service is a sacred trust and I take my responsibilities seriously.  Too often, elected officials look toward the next rung on the ladder instead of the task at hand.  In the weeks to come, by demonstrating effective leadership, I will be focused on fulfilling the job I was elected to do.

“The election of Georgia’s next senator is 21 months away and there is plenty of time for campaigning.  To announce a decision prior to the completion of the work on the debt ceiling and critical fiscal policy in May 2013, would be distracting and unwise.  At that time, Betty and I will then be prepared to come to a decision on my candidacy for the U.S. Senate as Georgia’s conservative voice.”

Tom Price, M. D. practiced orthopaedic surgery in the northern Atlanta suburbs for more than 20 years.  He is a consistent conservative who voted against ObamaCare and President Obama’s $800 billion dollar wasteful stimulus package.  He believes in a smaller role for the federal government and is a strong advocate of decreasing federal government regulations on businesses, so that our economy may thrive once again.

tdk790 February 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Wait, what? Who is actually going to run?

Three Jack February 11, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Uh oh, he left out the part about ‘prayerful consideration’, just lost the thumper vote.

Vicki February 11, 2013 at 2:17 pm

“I’m great! I’m fantastic! Look how wonderful I am! Everybody wants me to run! So I’ll announce I’m running in a few weeks! Isn’t that wonderfully fantastically great of me to do?”

Dave Bearse February 11, 2013 at 10:59 pm

“My current focus is on the formulation of a sound Budget Resolution, a plan to balance the budget within ten years and correct the many problems created by the Obama Administration. ”

And get us back to the sound GOP fiscal action like going from a budget surplus to doubling the deficit during relative prosperity with new $800M unfunded entitlements like Medicare Part D and engaging in unnecessary trillion dollar wars.

Harry February 11, 2013 at 11:43 pm

At least Obama put forth a plan to eliminate Medicare Part D and unnecessary trillion dollar wars. Wait, what?

TheEiger February 12, 2013 at 9:00 am

Dave, you may want to take a look at when Price actually went to Congress. He didn’t vote for Medicare Part D or to engage in Afghanistan or Iraq. You know why?? Because he wasn’t in Congress at the time.

Dave Bearse February 12, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I didn’t say Price voted for Medicare Part D, or support war in Iraq.

The GOP led the economy into the toilet (certainly not solo, Dems were helping too), yet Price singles out “problems created by the Obama Administration.”

It’s Price posturing for the TEA Party, and an indication Price may not actually care (or doesn’t know) about governing. The US electorate generally recognizes the GOP as responsible for government gridlock, as if continuing movement right on every issue wasn’t damaging enough on it own. A freshman GOP Senator with a House TEA Party attitude is a recipe for ineffective Senate representation.

TheEiger February 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm

So… four years of deficits over a trillion dollars – That’s Bush’s fault and not Obama’s?

Medicare Part D and the wars that he didn’t vote on is Price’s fault because he has an R by his name, but no blame is given to this President for a failed $800 billion stimulus and a health care bill that Democrats themselves are trying to repeal parts of because they didn’t read it. Have you heard of the bipartisan push in the House to repeal IPAB? Probably not because you don’t want to notice the House doing positive things. Not to mention the House has actually passed a budget every year it has been in the control of Republicans.

“A freshman GOP Senator with a House GOP TEA Party attitude is a recipe for ineffective Senate representation.” Yeah, because the Senate has been doing a great job with the budgets they have been voting on. That’s right they haven’t passed one in almost four years. And the President that you think can do no wrong had his last budget voted down without a single vote. Not just not a single Republican vote, but not even a single Democrat. That sir, is not leadership.

Your logic reminds me of a favorite quote of mine, “It isn’t that our liberal friends are ignorant. It is that they know so much that just isn’t so.” – RR

Charuth Cutestory February 12, 2013 at 6:28 am

As I recall Mr. Price at one point was in support of warrentless wiretapping. Does he still support such a thing?

saltycracker February 12, 2013 at 8:24 am

Maybe he wants to expend his energy on the task at hand and should have said it in less than 50 words.

Comments on this entry are closed.