Morning Reads Wednesday 6 February

February 6, 2013 7:00 am

by Eric The Younger · 16 comments

So I’ve been asked to fill in for Ron for morning reads, hopefully I’ll be able to fill those shoes. If I miss anything good please forgive me, I’m still new. I don’t think I’ll have the same kind of musical selection but I’ll at least attempt to find a good one.

Georgia

Real Clear Politics talks Democratic chances for the Georgia Senate Race - and talked to 3 Peach Pundit Contributors to talk about it.

Ethics are a theme at the state level but apparently not so much for Atlanta.

MARTA having secret meetings? Well only technically.

There may be a referendum to continue a Chattahm county SPLOST that expires on 30 September.

Things aren’t looking too peachy for Tyrone Brooks at the moment.

Columbus is a Renaissance City? I guess I should visit, does anyone know if Don Giovanni is playing?

Kyle Wingfield may be onto something with his definition of a lobbyist.

National

Pentagon considers extending benefits to same sex domestic partners.

The Justice Department is suing S&P, presumably they are responsible for the financial crisis.

More light into Obama’s legal mindset involving drone attacks, Al Qaeda, and American citizens.

Sequestration a problem? The CBO says we’re doing better.

The DHS director continues to not make friends across the aisle.

The Solomon Islands experience an Earthquake then a Tsunami.

Ted Nugent and Piers Morgan, Enjoy.

International/ Other

A Monopoly piece will be replaced, don’t worry the Top Hat is safe.

The French are capable of winning a war?

The British parliament approves of gay marriage.

It really didn’t work out well for Argentina last time but they will apparently try again.

Given history, this won’t last long.

As for music I leave you with Sirius Black’s theme song courtesy of Bon Jovi. If you haven’t read or seen the 5th Harry Potter, that reference makes no sense. For those of you that have, enjoy the laugh.

jamesdillard February 6, 2013 at 7:10 am

One more: speculation that Peter Aman will run (presumably as a Democrat) for Senate: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/02/04/atlanta-mayor-kasim-reed-says-no-to-senate-floats-peter-aman/

SmyrnaSAHM February 6, 2013 at 8:26 am
Jackster February 6, 2013 at 8:34 am

K-12 Education will have a bigger hole for the state budget than the medicaid shortfall: http://gbpi.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/fy2014_Budget-Analysis_Ed_k12_012320121.pdf

However, Graduation rates (and class sizes, etc.) will be subject to [budget] flexibility… but no one has yet to have a plan that addresses the students who are not graduating on time, much less track them.

Ed February 6, 2013 at 9:32 am

Hey Eric,

To redeem yourself musically, link to some of the love for “m b v” that’s been spreading.

analogkid February 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Seconded.

Jackster February 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

Today should also yield a decision on Gays in the Para-military[Boy Scouts].

I for one thing it’s a long way overdue, and will bring back integrity and strength to one of the remaining few institutions in this country which has a mission to shape our youth based on truly american ideals.

D_in_ATL February 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

No doubt that discrimination has had it’s place as a truly american ideal. I would hope that the Boy Scouts can work beyond that and instill some true american virtues in these kids instead.

Jackster February 6, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Well Discrimination is more a part of the human condition than an american value. I hope you are willing to praise the scouts for their actions and vision, if indeed they publicly change their policy.

your post here seems to indicate some latent hatred for an organization that supports children and families throughout the nation.

Also, keep in mind, the individual boys are products of their local communities and the program. If you are a part of a very conservative church based troop, that has more to do with your views on gay leaders and boys than the national BSA corporate entity.

D_in_ATL February 6, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Not sure where you get the idea I have latent hatred; I’m guessing that its merely because I disagree with you.

Anyway, I was a scout and yes it was fun. But unless your a member of Westboro Baptist Church I can’t see how a policy of exclusion instills anything other than fear in these kids. My generation (perhaps yours) grew up treating gays poorly. I don’t see any redeeming quality in that. It’s completely different now, and I can see a positive difference in my kids and how they treat others because they just don’t concern themselves with these differences.

If the scouts truly wish to foster good character in kids then they should stop forcing this issue.

Three Jack February 6, 2013 at 1:28 pm

How many boys that are age eligible for the Boy Scouts actually know they are gay? And if somehow a boy has already determined this sexual preference, would it not seem a bit odd for him to skip dance class in order to camp out in the nasty old woods with a bunch of heterosexual boys?

Lea Thrace February 6, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Wow. So homosexual males are only ever interested in dance class and other seemingly feminine things?

I truly hope that was a joke on your part.

Noway February 6, 2013 at 10:40 am

Although not in the reading list, the post office is doing away with Saturday delivery. That’s not enough. Mail should be delivered Mon, Wed and Fri and that’s it. We wouldn’t miss it one bit.

John Vestal February 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

But will continue to deliver packages on Saturday? Not sure I get that.

griftdrift February 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Money in packages.

John Vestal February 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Not in any of the ones I get. ;)

chamblee54 February 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Why do telephones have 123 on the top row of the keypad, while computers have 789?
Are computers liberal, and telephones conservative?

Comments on this entry are closed.