Westmoreland – Out

February 4, 2013 22:41 pm

by Charlie · 8 comments

Official Statement from Congressman Lynn Westmoreland on the US Senate race:

NEWNAN, G.A. – Last week, Georgia Senator Saxby Chambliss announced he did not plan to seek another term in the U.S. Senate.  The announcement set off a flurry of speculation regarding who would run to replace him.  Over the last week, Congressman Westmoreland discussed the possibility of running for the U.S. Senate with his family, his friends, and his supporters.  Below is his statement.

“I would like to thank those who offered their encouragement and support over the last week as I considered a run for the United States Senate. After discussing it with family and friends, and after much deliberation and prayer, I have made the decision to not pursue a statewide office at this time. I am honored to be serving as the U.S. Congressman for Georgia’s Third District.  I look forward to continuing my work in that role, as well as in my new roles with the Financial Services Committee and at the National Republican Congressional Committee, and working to advance the principles of limited government and personal responsibility,” stated Westmoreland.

So there’s that.

Print your own analysis of where that puts the race below.  I’m already about 7,000+ words in, it’s your turn.

IndyInjun February 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Sadly, we will be left with the dregs. Westmoreland was my top choice.

Harry February 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Mine also.

Rick Day February 5, 2013 at 12:22 am

Vote for Dregs™

Final. Bitter.

novicegirl February 5, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Agreed, Westmoreland is one of the best Georgia has to offer.

Rick Day February 5, 2013 at 12:20 am

prayer = ‘I AM A PRAYING CHRISTIAN THEREFORE A GOOD PERSON, WHO PRAYS’ label.

and God said…”aw Hell naw?”

*nods*

Noway February 5, 2013 at 8:56 am

One less for “Pitts of Hell” Broun to deal with!

GAgadfly February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Crazy early (or crazy, early) prediction: Isakson makes an announcement similar to Saxby’s a few years from now. Westmoreland waltzes to Senate seat in 2016 after the field clears itself for him in 2014.

Trey A. February 5, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I think Lynn still has his eyes on the governor’s mansion. I don’t think it’s a given that Deal runs again in 2014. He’s already 70–making him the second-oldest sitting governor in state history behind Lamartine Griffin Hardman (1927-1931). If re-elected, he’d finish his second term at 76, breaking Hardman’s record.

Comments on this entry are closed.