Former State Senator Announces Congressional Candidacy

February 2, 2013 19:05 pm

by Nathan · 20 comments

Former State Senator and candidate for Public Service Commissioner John Douglas has announced that he would be running for Congress in the 10th District.  From his personal Facebook page:

News of the day: I will be a candidate for the US House of Representatives from the 10th District of Georgia. My facebook page, Douglas for Congress is up and running, please visit and like it. Watch that page as we announce inititives and plans to help bring sanity back to our fiscal and politically dysfunctional federal government.

You can check out his Facebook page now.  No doubt that others candidates will be announcing over the next few days/weeks.

IndyInjun February 2, 2013 at 7:31 pm

This is really going to be fun, isn’t it?

Nathan February 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Yup.

Bob Loblaw February 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

It would be fun if Douglas was challenging Broun.

Harry February 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm

John Douglas is a great guy and well grounded in constitutional and conservative values.

Bob Loblaw February 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

…and totally unelectable for this district.

Harry February 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Why is that, I’m asking? Do you think the Athens factor looms that large? I’m guessing Athens city is only 10 or 15% of the district.

IndyInjun February 4, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I might choke, but I am with BL on this one.

FtEarlyCreek February 3, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Douglas is a tireless campaigner who has established himself here in east metro as someone who will work himself 20 hours a day while campaigning. Whoever runs against him, put on your helmets and fasten your seatbelt, you will need them.

xdog February 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm

His facebook page casts Douglas as “a strong combination of Paul Broun and Allen West, a no-nonsense conservative.” Jesus. It seems likely that mixing Broun and West would result in toxic levels of nonsense but maybe that’s just me. What with Broun voting for West as speaker, I’m beginning to wonder why West himself doesn’t run in the 10th instead of all his fanboys.

IndyInjun February 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I’m John Douglass and I am a veteran of the Georgia Legislature……..

Time will tell how well that plays.

novicegirl February 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Who knows. I try to think about the recent races: Collins Won, Anderson Lost (although won Primary and it’s really hard to blame his legislative experience on that race), Graves Won, Scott Won, Clay Cox Lost (didn’t even make runoff, although Woodall was a Congressional Aide).

Maybe it will be a PSC rematch: Douglas vs Echols.

IndyInjun February 3, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Barrow’s theme the last 6 weeks was Anderson’s votes against the middle class when he was in the legislature.

novicegirl February 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm

You make a great point, but you’re still not going to convince me that the candidate who was toughest on Lee Anderson wasn’t Lee Anderson.

If Barrow hung the State Legislature around Anderson’s neck, it’s because Anderson let him do it. I guarantee you, even being a blue-dog Dem, Anderson had far more combustible materials. It’s hard to rebut Barrow when you’re hiding in an underground bunker.

IndyInjun February 4, 2013 at 10:53 pm

10-4 on bunker hunker, but had LA come out, he would have been beaten a lot worse. He knew it, too, because he was getting tough questions from citizens and even close allies about TSPLOST, tax reform, SB31, and his alliances.

Bob Loblaw February 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

jus’ a wonderin’ wut you blamin’ Lee Andershun’s loss on, der, Miss Novice.

tdk790 February 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Interesting to look at if you add in constitutional offices, too. Win record is better with Congress, obviously. May have forgot some:

5 wins since 2010: Doug Collins, Tom Graves, Austin Scott, Ralph Hudgens, Mark Butler

10 losses since 2010: Lee Anderson, Eric Johnson, Melvin Everson, John Douglas, Jeff Chapman, Preston Smith, Seth Harp, Jeff May, Mike Keown, Clay Cox

Harry February 5, 2013 at 12:03 am

Would Bob or one of you other opponents of John Douglas please explain what possible objections you could have to his candidacy? Was he too independent-minded in the leg?

xdog February 5, 2013 at 8:39 am

Please read above: Douglas compares himself favorably to the clowns Paul Broun and Alan West and therefore must be an imbecile-wannabe. Most people, like me, want a congressperson not an ideologically driven zealot who’ll leave office having accomplished nothing for his constituents.

Harry February 5, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Braun and West are hardly imbeciles, even if you disagree with them. And, I believe John Douglas has an excellent chance to win. It’s a conservative district. Douglas is a man of character and fine demeanor, as are Braun and West. Douglas is no Anderson.

Doug Deal February 5, 2013 at 11:19 am

This is why I like term limits. It means the status quo is shaken up and we get variety as the music starts up and they start circling the chairs. Competition is good and healthy. Sitting with most representatives with no viable opponents year after year is death and disease.

Comments on this entry are closed.