Paul Broun Announces Candidacy for Senate…

Breaking: Confirmed: In Gwinnett County at a meeting for CHARGE (a Republican-leaning ethics and Good government group) Paul Broun made an unscheduled appearance. Featured at the event was potential US Senate candidate Karen Handel (who had been scheduled to speak). Broun’s wife apparently announced to the crowd her husband’s intention to run for the US Senate in Georgia.

Here’s a picture. H/T to @mandrewbroshea , who has a detailed update here.

1. Bob Loblaw says:

Thank you, God, for telling Paul Broun to run so we can be rid of him in our government! Just like you told Ralph to run, you have apparently told Paul. Or his wife. Whatever. Thank you. A’men.

2. Nonchalant says:

I’m voting for the guy who says he intends to regularly poll the state legislature on what he should do, and take instructions–which would naturally motivate the legislature to actually give instructions. Old school.

• Dave Bearse says:

Since the Georgia General Assembly takes its instructions from lobbyist, cut out the middlemen, and simply vote for the guy who says he’ll take instructions from lobbyists.

3. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Paul Broun entering the U.S. Senate race instantly makes him a pretty formidable candidate and a very strong contender to win the 2014 GOP Primary as Rep. Paul Broun brings a hard-edge to this race, likely the HARDEST edge.

The presence of Broun in the race ensures that a candidate will not win this race, they will have to SURVIVE it, especially in the Republican Primary.

The entertainment value of this race just went through the roof!

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

I know that you think that it is exciting as Democrats seem to think that it might give them an opening, which given Broun’s history of saying what he feels, is understandable.

Though there is no question that demographic trends are looking favorable for Georgia Democrats down the road, whomever Georgia Democrats put forward in ’14 will be no match for a Republican nominee who will emerge from the fight of their political lives in the GOP Primary extremely battle-hardened, battle-tested, abundantly well-funded and loaded for bear.

It might not be such a bad idea if Georgia Democrats sit this one out and work on building an organization and resources for future years, unless they would want to throw some of the young ones into the fire in a very-hostile environment to get some much-needed field experience and knowledge that they could apply at a future date.

• Bob Loblaw says:

Paul Broun won’t raise two nickels to rub together. I’ll be surprised if he exceeds the 5% he got last time he ran for the Senate.

• David C says:

The Runoff should ensure Paul Broun, like Vernon Jones before him, can’t actually get the Senate nomination. What will be interesting is if the other Republican candidates feel the need to match his crazy (which would be a mistake on all their parts) and he pulls the field to the right.

• Bob Loblaw says:

(using best Jim Mora, Sr. while coaching Indianapolis voice)

Runoff? Runoff? You’re talking about a Runoff? Paul Broun won’t sniff the runoff. Runoff?

• WeymanCWannamakerJr says:

Please don’t exaggerate. We all know that 5,000 years is totally implausible. Mr. Broun stated that the earth is 6,000 years old which of course is much more plausible.

4. IndyInjun says:

One can visualize Broun claiming that his campaign platform planks came from Noah’s Ark.

(Nooooo Nikki, puhlease don’t use that shepherds crook on my neck again, like you did at that last Broun fundraiser… Oh, and Paul, you remember 2 years ago when I told you I thought you should run for Senate? I still do, but for an entirely different reason.)

5. Noway says:

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,”

This d*****bag is a doctor, too! Damn, I wouldn’t let someone who panders this badly treat me for the sniffles.

What an embarrassment to all of his colleagues in the medical field.

• timechols says:

Since I was summoned, let me encourage Peach Pundit readers to do a search in this blog on Broun’s name and go back to 2007 and 2008 when he was running against Jim Whitehead and then Barry Fleming. The same exact sort of trash talking was evident from virtually everyone, and Team Broun orchestrates the biggest upset in a federal election in the history of the state as he defeated Jim Whitehead. A year later, Barry Fleming loses virtually precinct in the entire district except his home precinct in Harlem. Nevertheless, this blog still doubts him and gives him Broun no respect. Name calling, mocking, gossip, hateful speech, repeating lies from the media as if they were true–anything but a genuine analysis of potential candidates and how the race might play out. And I am sure after this post, it will start about me. I was with Broun from the beginning. My students came in and walked precincts for him, made thousands of phone calls, and it all came together–just the same way they did in my election. Do not underestimate Paul Broun and his appeal to voters. He may lose the vote on Peach Pundit, but what conservative doesn’t.

• John Konop says:

Tim had made it clear you are a left wing hippie running a blog that is not conservative. Tim thinks you should put your granola bar down, sell your VW bus with the peace sign on it and follow him.

• John Konop says:

You think Erick, Buzz, Charlie, Ron, Bridget, Nathan, Obi , Mark and Mike are liberal? Please help me understand your definition of conservative?

• Per Wikipedia – ” In the July 17, 2007 election, Broun upset Whitehead by a margin of just 0.8%, a difference of just 394 votes.”

Anyhow, I think we both know running statewide is quite a bit different than running in a district. Can you imagine how much different running for the PSC would be if you only had to focus on one PSC district instead of the entire state? Let’s not forget that he got 3% of the vote when he ran for US Senate in 1996. I can’t say I know much about Broun yet, but I can’t say I’d be too eager to support anyone who thinks the Earth is only 9,000 years old.

• I could see myself supporting Tim in a re-election. I’m especially glad to see that he doesn’t have the large donations from the utility execs, lobbyists, and attorneys. I think he’s made some mistakes / bad judgements (Masters tickets)… some might call them rookie mistakes… but all in all I think he’s done a decent job. Having seen his stance on gambling and some other social issues I doubt I could support him for a run for the legislature. But I could see myself supporting him in 2016 depending on who all is in the race.

• Dave Bearse says:

I set aside Echol’s socon views when I voted for him, reasoning they weren’t relevant/PSC actionable.

The shakedown attempt demonstrates a character flaw that disqualifies Echols from any re-election vote from me.

• Bob Loblaw says:

Nice, Commissioner. Almost as smooth as your “taxi enforcement or else” demand onto the grounds of Augusta National. You couldn’t come up with $2500 to scalp one?

You go side with Paul Broun. And when the quotes start piling up about stuff you wouldn’t dare say and may think, but still wouldn’t say, get ready to carry them around as if they are yours.