Jere Morehead, UGA Provost, Named “The Finalist” For UGA President

January 28, 2013 14:56 pm

by Charlie · 11 comments

Seth Emerson of the Macon Telegraph is tweeting that UGA has selected Jere Morehead, the current Provost at UGA, as “The Finalist” in the search to replace Dr. Michael Adams.  We’ll update more in a bit.  But what’s more political than a US Senate seat opening up?  Filling the top post in an untouchable ivory tower.  Let’s hope that Dr. Morehead works will the entire UGA community as my alma mater moves into a new chapter.

Emerson’s full story can be read here.

Nonchalant January 28, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Political? Maybe in the strictly personal sense, sure. But the chances of the new guy not being some sort of soft (or not so soft) Progressive of some sort, even if just in a gauzy sort of way, is nil. Or at least, that is my opinion.

William Ray January 28, 2013 at 4:43 pm

It is an excellent choice. Jere Morehead is as conservative as they come. He was an assistant U.S. attorney in Atlanta under President Ronald Reagan. He has been a legal studies professor in the Terry College of Business and a professor in the School of Law since 1986. Anyone who knows him can tell you that Jere Morehead is smart and hard working. He also ran the Honors Program at UGA and took it to a new level, among many, many accomplishments. He is a Georgia native and was educated at UGA, and nobody loves the Red & Black more than him.

atlanta_advocate January 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Strange. Top universities usually hire out. As UGA is aiming to get into the AAU, I thought that they would hire a president from an AAU school.

Cloverhurst January 28, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Great choice. Jere is conservative, sane and well liked by faculty, students and alumni alike. The entire Bulldog nation should be proud.

Charlie January 28, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Talked to a few folks tonight. All rave about him. One called him “the Anti-Adams”. I’m good with this choice. Sign him up. I can participate as an alum in activities at UGA again. Which is nice.

Nonchalant January 28, 2013 at 9:40 pm

My apologies. I thought being a conservative was an impossibility at a major university. Guess I was wrong.

Ed January 29, 2013 at 7:30 am

I love how the third graph of the story starts with: “From a sports perspective.”

John Vestal January 29, 2013 at 7:37 am

Well, considering it’s an article by the sports beat writer in the sports e-section…

Ed January 29, 2013 at 8:58 am

Psssh. Like anyone pays attention to “details.”

Will Durant January 29, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Face it. Most people in the state are more concerned with how this will affect the football team. UGA’s status in academia during Adam’s tenure matters less to the majority of the populace and probably even to the majority of the alumni than his perceived interference with the operation of the football program. It is telling enough that this news is on the sports page.

Charlie January 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Or it could be that a newspaper from one of Georgia’s smaller markets that has a reporter who covers UGA (and every other college) was the one in Athens that day. And that this reporter is good on social media/twitter. And that said reporter was the first to tweet it that I saw. Thus said reporter, working outside his normal beat, gets the credit when I post the story here.

Comments on this entry are closed.