Whoa! Galloway Reports Saxby Chambliss To Announce Retirement

Breaking, courtesy of the AJC’s Jim Galloway:

U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss will announce this morning that he’s dropping plans to run for a third term in 2014, a decision certain to set off an avalanche of Republican candidates who will seek to replace him.

Word out of Washington is that Chambliss broke the news to his senior staff this morning.

This is among the biggest domino among dominoes.  Georgia politics is now in full campaign mode.  Expect not just those who have considered the race semi-publicly (Tom Price, Paul Broun, Karen Handel) to consider jumping in – and quickly, but others such as Lynn Westmoreland, Austin Scott, Phil Gingrey, …frankly anyone with a title to consider it strongly.

With several members of Congress and likely some of our statewide officials likely to take a strong look, you’ll then have a lot of folks floating their name for Congress and those other offices.

Things are, as usual, about to get interesting.

• IndyInjun says:

At least not white hair without a brain under it. Saxby’s votes on bills affecting the financial mess the banks got into were the equivalent of turning the US dollar into something between a bad gambling debt and toilet paper.

• David C says:

HANK: Luanne, I’m thinking about just letting my hair grow.
                LUANNE: Well, have you ever considered another color?
                HANK: Men don’t do that.
                LUANNE: Oh, sure they do. Even President Reagan did.
                HANK: Hey, now, if Ron Reagan dyed his hair — and I’m not saying he did — it was only to show his strength to the Communists.

I miss King of the Hill.

1. Ed says:

I would like to say that I have received many phone calls and emails from supporters urging me to run.

And while I am flattered at the well wishes and encouragement I have received, I have not made a decision one way or the other at this time.

For now, I will prayerfully and dutifully consider the options and reflect on my choices.

Thank you, and God bless.

2. Rick Day says:

I’m still trying to figure out how to get some prayerful whachacallit… consideration and will follow the path that I deem most likely to be supported by The Lord™.

Seriously, this will be a feast of the beasts. I love how Republican’s eat their seed stock. TBH, this could cause so many envy cracks within the state foundation that the D’s may get a jump on a split GOP and knock off some incumbent’s who seem more interested in promotion than serving their district.

Let the nom begin!

3. Snake Dr. says:

Broun,Price,Gingrey let the parade of nuts begin.

I will miss you Saxby you have been a voice of reason

• yellowhammer says:

Amen, Snake. Apparently all it takes to be considered right (on either side of the aisle) in this age is to be the one screaming the loudest. Saxby is one of the few who puts his ego aside and works to do what he was elected to do. He will be sorely missed. Only bright side to this is that only one person can take his spot, so maybe we’ll get a few of the fringies out of there.

• Three Jack says:

“Saxby is one of the few who puts his ego aside…”

Problem is he also put aside fiscally conservative principles when it came time to cut a deal or get more largesse for his ag buddies.

• Baker says:

“ag buddies” — Yes, that is pretty much my biggest problem with him. Maybe the good news is we’ll get some action on getting rid of ridiculous farm subsidies,

• Charlie says:

Got to say, because of my side project work for the bio feedstock industry, I’ve learned a lot more about the farm bill, from what it “was” to what it “is” to what it will be. I’ve avoided writing about it here because of our conflict rules, but will probably dive more into it with the usual caveat of disclosure.

Point of that is, if the House had allowed a vote on the version of the farm bill that was passed by the Senate and had a majority of bi-partisan support in the House, it would have fundamentally shifted the subsidies away from most of those conservatives object to and ended the “pay not to grow” plans entirely.

Amazingly, a small internal squabble among House leadership held that up from a vote, so instead of having a much improved (by conservative standards) farm bill for 5 years, we’re continuing to extend a very bad farm bill for small increments.

Criticize him for his past votes if you must, but he was on the right side of this battle.

• saltycracker says:

That makes it worse. A Republican house could not be convinced.
            And when pushed to understand, politics = no accountabilities.

• Charlie says:

No, it was a squabble between two in leadership over one sub-section. The folks I work with did their own whip count. It had a majority of Republican support, but with the fiscal cliff issue at hand (and time running out at year end) the smaller battle ended up being consumed by the much larger problem at hand.

• IndyInjun says:

Actually, I do not hold his recent willingness to compromise against him and really like the way he works with folks like Warner. On the whole, his actions with Medicare D, Farm bill, and especially the series of hideous banking/derivatives votes were unmitigated disasters, though.

4. John Konop says:

I would not be surprised if Tom ran that Karen could also run for his old seat. Which would be a win-win situation via the area, friendly relationship between them…………..

5. saltycracker says:

No suggestions for a politically savvy analyst that happens to work for the government sponsored GPB ? That’d be a chip off the old block. :)

6. 1) Thank you Senator Chambliss for serving Georgia well. Your efforts to get Washington to seriously deal with our massive debt will hopefully bear fruit and should be a positive part of your legacy.

2) I expect at most 1 Congressman to run. They would not run against each other in all likelihood.

3) I wouldn’t be surprised to see a wildcard candidate jump in. Perhaps a State Senator and no I’m not going to float any names out.

7. Baker says:

Somebody get in a time machine and bring back a 60-yr-old Bernie Marcus.

I’m fine with Tom Price, Karen Handel would be fine, but she won’t make it I don’t think. Pretty much everyone else is inadequate.