Whoa! Galloway Reports Saxby Chambliss To Announce Retirement

January 25, 2013 9:47 am

by Charlie · 61 comments

Breaking, courtesy of the AJC’s Jim Galloway:

U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss will announce this morning that he’s dropping plans to run for a third term in 2014, a decision certain to set off an avalanche of Republican candidates who will seek to replace him.

Word out of Washington is that Chambliss broke the news to his senior staff this morning.

This is among the biggest domino among dominoes.  Georgia politics is now in full campaign mode.  Expect not just those who have considered the race semi-publicly (Tom Price, Paul Broun, Karen Handel) to consider jumping in – and quickly, but others such as Lynn Westmoreland, Austin Scott, Phil Gingrey, …frankly anyone with a title to consider it strongly.

With several members of Congress and likely some of our statewide officials likely to take a strong look, you’ll then have a lot of folks floating their name for Congress and those other offices.

Things are, as usual, about to get interesting.

John Vestal January 25, 2013 at 9:50 am

Try to keep up, Charlie. *sheesh*

Joshua Morris January 25, 2013 at 9:54 am

Hooray!

Nathan January 25, 2013 at 9:55 am

Who’s got the key to the rumor mill? We gotta start ginning up some rumors of candidates.

John Vestal January 25, 2013 at 9:57 am

I cannot confirm that Bob Barr is considering a run.

Noway January 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

It could happen, but Barr couldn’t defeat Coverdell 100 years ago, he won’t do squat this time around if he’s stupid enough to run.

lukethedrifter January 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

Bob is fair game for ridicule, but that race against Coverdell was pretty darn close. He only lost by about 1,500 votes or less than 1%.

Andre January 25, 2013 at 10:37 am

I hear Charlie Harper is considering a run.

Spacey G January 26, 2013 at 8:48 am

Glad I wasn’t drinking coffee when I read that. Would have ruined another perfectly decent laptop.

redrock January 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

I’ve heard Sen. John Albers is considering it. Hey – if Obama can jump from the state legislature to POTUS in 6 years, think of what is possible when your ideas are actually right for America.

Tyler January 25, 2013 at 9:58 am

Best news I’ve heard all week.

NorthGAGOP January 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

This could be fun. 2014 maybe much more interesting now.

Bridget Cantrell January 25, 2013 at 10:03 am

Please, Lord – don’t let our next one have white hair.

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 10:06 am

At least not white hair without a brain under it. Saxby’s votes on bills affecting the financial mess the banks got into were the equivalent of turning the US dollar into something between a bad gambling debt and toilet paper.

Three Jack January 25, 2013 at 10:13 am

I’m with you Bridget and would add a request that they also do not use Grecian Formula.

Bridget Cantrell January 25, 2013 at 10:18 am

bahahahahahaha – that’s just wrong.

Napoleon January 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Reagan used Grecian Formula. I would like someone older…less time they can stay around and mess things up.

xdog January 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

“Reagan used Grecian Formula.”

I didn’t know Grecian Formula came in orange.

David C January 25, 2013 at 12:55 pm

HANK: Luanne, I’m thinking about just letting my hair grow.
LUANNE: Well, have you ever considered another color?
HANK: Men don’t do that.
LUANNE: Oh, sure they do. Even President Reagan did.
HANK: Hey, now, if Ron Reagan dyed his hair — and I’m not saying he did — it was only to show his strength to the Communists.

I miss King of the Hill.

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 10:04 am

Good riddance!

Mrs. Adam Kornstein January 25, 2013 at 10:06 am

I read this, immediately Ozzy’s song “Crazy Train” popped into my mind.

Ed January 25, 2013 at 10:12 am

I would like to say that I have received many phone calls and emails from supporters urging me to run.

And while I am flattered at the well wishes and encouragement I have received, I have not made a decision one way or the other at this time.

For now, I will prayerfully and dutifully consider the options and reflect on my choices.

Thank you, and God bless.

Ed,
NOT A CANDIDATE YET

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:12 am

Ed January 25, 2013 at 10:13 am
saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

John Konop January 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Salty,

I was going to run until you banned people from the banking and finance industry.

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

I’m reconsidering Ed – a party switch by a fish eating Panther that we can’t predict would be an improvement. :)

Ed January 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

*IF* I were to run…

I can guarantee that two of my first legislative priorities would be to lift the trade embargo on Cuba so I can cheaply and easily get good cigars and to reinstate the smoking of cigars only while on official Senatorial duty.

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:49 am

Reasonable idea – friendly amendment for the foreign growers – pot…
I’d suggest a big tariff to protect home grown too !

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

Ed

Cigars – Until then – been a long time but back in the day;

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

Sadly, that is a stigma that is gaining intensity. Too bad folks get painted with a broad brush.

One must answer what his role was in the whole stinking mess – a mess that isn’t fixed, just feasting off of savers.

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

“Let’s hope for a candidate outside the ranks of politicians, attorneys, bankers and real estate.”

…Outside of those, who else is there?

Andre January 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Alvin Greene.

Snake Dr. January 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Durn

Rick Day January 25, 2013 at 10:25 am

I’m still trying to figure out how to get some prayerful whachacallit… consideration and will follow the path that I deem most likely to be supported by The Lord™.

Seriously, this will be a feast of the beasts. I love how Republican’s eat their seed stock. TBH, this could cause so many envy cracks within the state foundation that the D’s may get a jump on a split GOP and knock off some incumbent’s who seem more interested in promotion than serving their district.

Let the nom begin!

Snake Dr. January 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

Broun,Price,Gingrey let the parade of nuts begin.

I will miss you Saxby you have been a voice of reason

yellowhammer January 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

Amen, Snake. Apparently all it takes to be considered right (on either side of the aisle) in this age is to be the one screaming the loudest. Saxby is one of the few who puts his ego aside and works to do what he was elected to do. He will be sorely missed. Only bright side to this is that only one person can take his spot, so maybe we’ll get a few of the fringies out of there.

Baker January 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

He had plenty of problems, but I’m going to have to agree, he will be sorely missed…maybe not in the short run.

Three Jack January 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

“Saxby is one of the few who puts his ego aside…”

Problem is he also put aside fiscally conservative principles when it came time to cut a deal or get more largesse for his ag buddies.

Baker January 25, 2013 at 11:08 am

“ag buddies” — Yes, that is pretty much my biggest problem with him. Maybe the good news is we’ll get some action on getting rid of ridiculous farm subsidies,

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 3:01 pm

bingo – cha$$$ching

Charlie January 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Got to say, because of my side project work for the bio feedstock industry, I’ve learned a lot more about the farm bill, from what it “was” to what it “is” to what it will be. I’ve avoided writing about it here because of our conflict rules, but will probably dive more into it with the usual caveat of disclosure.

Point of that is, if the House had allowed a vote on the version of the farm bill that was passed by the Senate and had a majority of bi-partisan support in the House, it would have fundamentally shifted the subsidies away from most of those conservatives object to and ended the “pay not to grow” plans entirely.

Amazingly, a small internal squabble among House leadership held that up from a vote, so instead of having a much improved (by conservative standards) farm bill for 5 years, we’re continuing to extend a very bad farm bill for small increments.

Criticize him for his past votes if you must, but he was on the right side of this battle.

saltycracker January 26, 2013 at 6:43 am

That makes it worse. A Republican house could not be convinced.
And when pushed to understand, politics = no accountabilities.

Charlie January 26, 2013 at 11:38 am

No, it was a squabble between two in leadership over one sub-section. The folks I work with did their own whip count. It had a majority of Republican support, but with the fiscal cliff issue at hand (and time running out at year end) the smaller battle ended up being consumed by the much larger problem at hand.

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 11:03 am

Actually, I do not hold his recent willingness to compromise against him and really like the way he works with folks like Warner. On the whole, his actions with Medicare D, Farm bill, and especially the series of hideous banking/derivatives votes were unmitigated disasters, though.

xdog January 25, 2013 at 10:33 am

Deal. Real.

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 11:04 am

Real No.

John Konop January 25, 2013 at 10:42 am

I would not be surprised if Tom ran that Karen could also run for his old seat. Which would be a win-win situation via the area, friendly relationship between them…………..

Napoleon January 25, 2013 at 11:02 am

I can see that.

saltycracker January 25, 2013 at 10:45 am

No suggestions for a politically savvy analyst that happens to work for the government sponsored GPB ? That’d be a chip off the old block. :)

Anyone But Chip January 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

…and my nickname regains it’s relevance.

Velasco January 25, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’ll be damned. Joel McElhannon might pick up a candidate for this next cycle after all.

Buzz Brockway January 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

1) Thank you Senator Chambliss for serving Georgia well. Your efforts to get Washington to seriously deal with our massive debt will hopefully bear fruit and should be a positive part of your legacy.

2) I expect at most 1 Congressman to run. They would not run against each other in all likelihood.

3) I wouldn’t be surprised to see a wildcard candidate jump in. Perhaps a State Senator and no I’m not going to float any names out.

Andre January 25, 2013 at 10:52 am

Are you thinking of running? We need a guy named Buzz in the Senate.

Ed January 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

Buzz is being coy about his intentions. I approve of such a strategy.

Buzz Brockway January 25, 2013 at 11:37 am

Coy is my middle name. ;-)

Charlie January 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Going to have to disagree with point 2. If Tom Price runs, there will still likley be another. And Paul Broun may even make it 3.

Buzz Brockway January 25, 2013 at 11:18 am

I’m not always right but I’m never in doubt.

Velasco January 25, 2013 at 11:25 am

It’ll be throwing bloody meat in a shark tank. I’d guess Graves, Price, Broun, 2 tea party candidates, 1 rogue millionaire and a random statewide….say Mark Butler.

Romegaguy January 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Graves is too afraid of losing a job he needs so he can pay off a bad bank loan. Of course I guess he could always get a job at GPB if he did run and lose

Baker January 25, 2013 at 11:07 am

Somebody get in a time machine and bring back a 60-yr-old Bernie Marcus.

I’m fine with Tom Price, Karen Handel would be fine, but she won’t make it I don’t think. Pretty much everyone else is inadequate.

IndyInjun January 25, 2013 at 11:19 am

Tom Price will have pretty broad support.

Broun wants it, but he best stay put.

Comments on this entry are closed.