Official Statement: Senator Saxby Chambliss To Retire

WASHINGTON –Today, U.S. Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., released the following statement:

“After much contemplation and reflection, I have decided not to run for re-election to the Senate in 2014.

‘This is a decision Julianne and I have thought through and prayed about for many weeks. I am humbled by and grateful for the extraordinary trust of Georgians, who have allowed me to represent them for 20 years in the United States House and Senate.

“I am proud of my conservative voting record in fulfilling those duties. In 2008, I was honored to receive more votes than any other statewide elected official in the history of Georgia. Lest anyone think this decision is about a primary challenge, I have no doubt that had I decided to be a candidate, I would have won re-election. In these difficult political times, I am fortunate to have actually broadened my support around the state and the nation due to the stances I have taken.

“Instead, this is about frustration, both at a lack of leadership from the White House and at the dearth of meaningful action from Congress, especially on issues that are the foundation of our nation’s economic health. The debt-ceiling debacle of 2011 and the recent fiscal-cliff vote showed Congress at its worst and, sadly, I don’t see the legislative gridlock and partisan posturing improving anytime soon. For our nation to be strong, for our country to prosper, we cannot continue to play politics with the American economy.

“I never intended to come to Washington and stay for 20 years. But in that time, I have been proud to fight for the economic good of Georgia and the security of our nation. That includes work on four farm bills, 18 defense-authorization bills, chairmanship of the House Terrorism Subcommittee in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, and being chairman or ranking member of major Senate committees for 8 of the past 10 years.

“Perhaps the greatest honor has been to champion our men and women in uniform, their families, and the Georgia military bases and contractors who create private-sector jobs.

“I am truly grateful for the love, support, trust and assistance of family and friends who have helped me along the way. I am especially indebted to my staff – past and present – whose loyalty and knowledge have not only served me well, but have served the people of Georgia superbly.

“There are two years left in my term, and there is lots left to do. I am in good health, and I plan to continue working hard to represent the best interests of Georgians, and to do my utmost to help restore America to its economic greatness.”

1. Charlie says:

WASHINGTON – U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., today released the following statement in response to Sen. Chambliss’ announcement that he will retire from the Senate in 2014.

“Saxby and I have been friends for 51 years and it has been my honor to serve alongside him in the U.S. House and in the U.S. Senate. We first met when we attended the University of Georgia together in the 1960s, and our wives – Julianne Chambliss and Dianne Isakson – happened to be sorority sisters at UGA. I have supported Saxby in every political race he’s run, and I’m grateful that he has done the same for me. Saxby is a true statesman who has worked tirelessly throughout his time in public life to represent the values and interests of Georgians. Our state and our country are better because of Saxby Chambliss. I will miss him dearly after 2014, but I look forward to working with him for two more years in the Senate to tackle the tough issues facing our county.”

2. Joshua Morris says:

‘I would have won, but I’m frustrated with the system, so I’m not gonna do this anymore.’ Seriously? He can’t even manage to come across as believable on his reasons for stepping down.

• Ed says:

You don’t believe that a) incumbents have an unbelievably high likelihood of getting reelected or that b) Congress is plagued by idiots who can’t do anything?

3. Joshua Morris says:

I believe both, but I don’t believe those are his reasons. He knows the base is unhappy with him, and even as an incumbent, I think he was very vulnerable. I don’t know of any other elected GA Republican who was openly booed at a state convention, and his last primary wasn’t exactly an easy victory.

4. Charlie says:

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Rep. Tom Graves (R-GA-14) issued the following statement after Senator Saxby Chambliss announced today that he would not seek reelection:

“Senator Chambliss’ decades of distinguished public service place him among the giants of Georgia politics. He has been a tireless advocate for Georgia and a respected expert on critical issues facing the nation. I will always be thankful for the senator’s mentorship and friendship, from the day I joined him on his bus tour during my first run for the State House through all the tough debates we’ve had in the years since. His leadership will be sorely missed in Washington, and Georgia’s public servants will look to Senator Chambliss as an example for many years to come.”

5. Three Jack says:

“For our nation to be strong, for our country to prosper, we cannot continue to play politics with the American economy.” says the senator who never missed an opportunity to play politics with ag appropriation bills.

6. sgunning says:

’bout time. Lots of good opportunity in Georgia to improve the voting record on this seat. We need to do our job and rally around a bold fiscal conservative. No more Neville Chamberlain’s out of Georgia please!

7. Westmoreland Thanks Senator Chambliss for His Service to Georgia
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) has announced he will not run for another term in 2014. Below is Congressman Westmoreland’s statement.

“Saxby is a good friend and he will truly be missed. His public service to the state of Georgia over the last two decades should be commended.

“During his time in the House of Representatives, he served as the Chairman of the House Intelligence Subcommittee on Terrorism and Homeland Security, which oversaw the September 11th investigation. After being elected to the US Senate in 2002, Saxby continued to serve the Intelligence Community as a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee, where he currently serves as the Ranking Republican.

“While in the Senate, he also rose quickly through the ranks on the Agriculture Committee, and in the 109th Congress he served as the chairman of the full committee during the debate over the Farm Bill. Agriculture is the number one industry in the state of Georgia and I know our farmers appreciated having a Georgian fighting for them from a position of leadership.

“I wish Saxby, Julianne, and their family all the best in the future. He has been a dedicated public servant and I want to thank him for all that he has done for Georgia,” stated Westmoreland.
    ####

8. Charlie says:

Phil Gingrey’s statement:

Sen. Saxby Chambliss’ commitment to public service and his tenure in Congress is admirable. Throughout boom times and hard times, my friend and fellow Georgian has always championed the resilience of the American people, the strength of their resolve, and the goodness of their spirit. He worked tirelessly to keep the United States safe from those who would do us harm through his roles on both the Senate Intelligence and Armed Services Committees. Reflecting upon his service, I am reminded of the Scripture, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” As Saxby returns to our beloved home state, he has my gratitude and best wishes as he enters the next chapter of his life.