Cold blast on the way, but little ice for metro Atlanta. High in 50s today but dropping to 20s tonight.
- Our own Mike Hassinger holds out on us. PP only gets rants and gossip-y videos out of him. AJC gets the real writing. Public money for privately-owned Falcons.
- I think this is pretty manufactured, but Congressman Broun is in multiple articles this morning about his comments that Obama Upholds a Soviet Constitution.
- Road contractors shower governor with campaign donations
- Stem cell foe named chair of science panel. Rep Seltzler and I disagree on multiple social issues. He is con.serv.a.tive. We served together on a Resolution Committee and have had opportunities to discuss our views multiple times. Politics aside – he is one of the most direct and straightforward communicators I’ve ever talked to. Einstein said, “”If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.” He’ll do well leading any committee, but yeah – I don’t foresee him going against his conscience. We could have worse problems.
- Manufacturing Increasing In Georgia
- Lowe’s hiring 54,000 workers for spring – 9,000 will be permanent
- Metro area poised to grow with mobile technology boom
- South Georgia: State cutting funding for farming visa workers. The Georgia Farm Bureau, the state’s largest lobbying group for growers, does not intend to fight the cuts.”We still have a problem with getting labor and that continues to be a problem,” he said. “And I don’t know how we can have a state solution to this. We need a federal solution.”
- Warner Robins: Sweep at Robins finds objectionable workplace items. Summary: Porn.
- Fayette County: Georgia dads press lawmakers to end synthetic pot trade. Dear Dads, how much time are you spending with your kids instead of in the office or in front of the tv? It’s not a popular point to make, but hey – kids usually don’t smoke dope in front of their parents.
- Cobb: Commissioner Lee, even our newest Dem Commish Lisa Cupid is declining a pay hike. WHY are you undecided??
- A summary of Cobb’s development news. “While the Metro Atlanta region was creating some 30,000 new jobs during 2011, about one in three of these was locating to Cobb County.” Talenti Gelato is DE.LIC.IOUS and has moved its primary production headquarters to the Marietta Industrial Park. The Blood Orange is good, but the Mango is my favorite.
- Cobb Fun Fact: There are more than 42,000 students enrolled in Cobb institutions, and their presence has helped make Cobb the best-educated county in the nation, with almost 45 percent of local residents holding a bachelor’s degree. Holla.
- The Bibb County school board is considering a buyout offer from Superintendent Romain Dallemand. The board has scheduled a called meeting for 4 p.m. Thursday. The only item on the meeting agenda is listed as “executive session — personnel matters/future acquisition property/pending litigation.”
- Old news, but I’ll post it. Did I somehow miss this video of Barrow talking about his grandfather stopping a lynchin’ and then dramatically clicking a rifle? “These are my guns now and ain’t nobody gonna take’em away.”
- Pentagon Lifting Ban on Women in Combat. I do not ever want to willingly be in a combat zone. Male, female, gay, straight – God Bless those who willingly want to protect American citizens by putting their life in danger. Thank you.
- Ri.dic.u.lous. Two NJ men sue Subway and claim foot-long sandwiches are 1/2″ too short. Women everywhere laugh and think “who knew you could sue for that?”
- Video: Paul Ryan – The Moral Obligation To Budget Responsibly. This isn’t a Republican or Democrat thing. This is a math thing.
- North Korea to carry out third nuclear test ‘aimed at US’
- 2013 Israeli Parliamentary Elections: More the Same in a Totally New Game (H/T xdog)
- Video: Priorities. Prince Harry has them.
- Dearest Coca-Cola, I beg of you to make a Dasani PR campaign like this. It would pair beautifully with your anti-obesity campaign.
- In polar opposite fashion – Snoop Dogg makes a Pocket Like Its Hot video. SMH….Hottt Pockets!
- Braves make offer for Arizona’s Upton
- Anthony Bourdain’s 3 days in Atlanta. Summary: he complains about traffic and then ends up at the Clermont.
- Haawt. Evan Longoria saves reporter. The video is a year old, but I saw it for the first time this week.
- Styles that take off 10 Years. Ladies, hemlines that hit below the bottom knob of your knee are unflattering on absolutely everyone. Tee-length is worse and gives you both fat calves and shortened stature. Pay a tailor $20 to cut two inches off your favorite suits so that they hit just above the middle of your patella. I use Gill’s Alterations in the Shops Around Lenox. A bonus is that any medium-priced suit looks expensive when tailored.
- Guilty. It’s Time for a “Slow Conversation” Movement. I love social media. And like a smothering relationship, sometimes you need a breather to not lose yourself; to stay interesting and do something worth talking about; to wear high heels versus sweatpants for lack of a better description. A tandem issue to being a Social Media Zombie is being a Multi-tasking Shuffler. Let’s go back to being monotaskers and knowing that something is done.
- Tim Ferris is one of my favorite dorks. 11 Tricks for Perfect Sleep. Highlights: 67-70 deg air temp in a half military crawl position produces the fastest time to sleep. That experiment stinks for women I guess – if you sleep facedown it causes your face to wrinkle pre-maturely, and exactly which woman would sleep in a 68 deg house??
Fun Event Announcement. I will likely forget about this, but if you’re into old British cars or Beatles tribute bands, there’s a free event in Alpharetta on Feb 23 you might want to check out.