Georgia’s General Assembly Unplugged: Behind the Headlines with the State Capitol Press

January 22, 2013 17:30 pm

by Bridget Cantrell · 24 comments

Aww sookie sookie now.  Take a lil look-see to the right.  The Atlanta Press Club welcomes their newest members.  Heads up - I’m coming atcha, TV and book deals. High five to APC for recognizing New Media as Media.  I’m delighted Peach Pundit is recognized as a distributor of news and the blogger vs journalist debate is simmering down.

—————————–

Join the Atlanta Press Club on Thursday, January 31 for Georgia’s General Assembly Unplugged.

Our panel of state capitol reporters will discuss the issues the state legislature is expected to take up this session, including ethics reform, stricter gun control and approval for the new stadium.

PANELISTS

Walter Jones, Political Reporter and News Analyst, Morris News Service

Aaron Gould Sheinin, State Political Reporter, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

MODERATOR:  Jeanne Bonner, State Capitol Reporter, Georgia Public Broadcasting

WHEN: Thursday, January 31, 2013,  6:00–8:00 p.m.

WHERE:  The Commerce Club, 191 Peachtree Street NE, 49th Floor, Atlanta, GA 30303

You can register HERE.

IndyInjun January 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, Bridget!

I am going to register and plan to attend.

Harry January 22, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I’m sure they’ll look forward to your presence…like hell.

IndyInjun January 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Can’t let the blogger vs. ‘journalist’ conflagration just die out, now, can we?

ATL Crossroads February 2, 2013 at 2:30 pm

thanks for heads up. I attended and appreciated hearing from the panelists on the pulse of the Assembly. I wrote a recap here: http://bit.ly/11s8nqz

Daddy Got A Gun January 22, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Congrats on being co-opted … I think.

Regarding stricter gun control:

After watching the Republicans in NY commit political suicide, aid Cuomo in his quest to be President, and condemn future children to a world where adults can’t and won’t protect them, I pray Georgia Republicans go the opposite way.

CT Gun Free School Zone law is responsible for what happened at Sandy Hook. There you had a law that guaranteed to the killer that no adult would have effective means to defend themselves or the kids. The government advertised it with gun-free school signs on the street. The school relied on an UNARMED woman with an education degree and classroom experience to provide security at the school. Then the government made sure that armed help was 20 minutes away and some of whom got lost on the way to the school.

That is the reality about Gun-Free Zones. We need to get rid of the prohibition against background checked licensees from carrying in school, churches, and government buildings. There is no reason to treat those locations any different than the rest of Georgia where licensees can carry, including Chuck E Cheese, Kroger, Barnes and Noble, MARTA, etc.

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 23, 2013 at 2:30 am

+1 zillion

greencracker January 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

toldja!

Bridget Cantrell January 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I know… ;)

IndyInjun January 22, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Do I need to bring Harry?

Bridget Cantrell January 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I can’t tell if you’re messing with me, but I assume yes knowing our clan ;)

Harry January 22, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’d go except no doubt it’s staged. If any resistance is shown to the government-sponsored and protected media monopoly, they just kick us out.

IndyInjun January 22, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Nah, I am good with all of the ‘official’ media, they just don’t let the big boss know. My interest in coming is to meet a guy I have talked to on the phone and emailed for many years now.

We ‘new media’ need to talk sometimes, face to face, no?

I don’t think it is ‘staged’ as I have had pretty long term relationships with reporters, including a prominent one involved in this meeting. He is, however, an employee of ……..

Harry January 23, 2013 at 12:25 am

GPB? Chip?

Will Durant January 23, 2013 at 12:41 am

Chip isn’t a reporter at GPB. They are getting double duty out of him though. By day he is the Vice President of Paper Clip Alignment and by night he will sometimes appear as his alter-ego, The Pledge Drive Destroyer.

Harry January 23, 2013 at 7:58 am

And you? You’ve been dead for over 30 years.

Buzz Brockway January 22, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Bridget Cantrell January 22, 2013 at 11:34 pm

OR…what if I’ve simply succumbed to the Lib’ral Media? I do have a hard time forming my own independent opinions sometimes ;)

Buzz Brockway January 22, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hmmm…. another point to consider. ;-)

Harry January 22, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Don’t be sleeping with the enemy.

greencracker January 23, 2013 at 8:57 am

Bridget has fallen for APC’s vast conspiracy to get $40 out of her.

PS, support the press club. /pitch

mountainpass January 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Congrats Bridget!

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 23, 2013 at 2:36 am

Congratulations, Bridget for becoming a member of the Atlanta Press Club and congratulations to Peach Pundit for the work that you do surrounding issues of public policy and politics.

Also, Bridget, tell those high-falutin’ elitists to leave our guns alone!

The 2nd Amendment is just as critically-important to the well-being of this country as is the 1st Amendment.

Baker January 23, 2013 at 10:21 am

I would encourage all Peach Pundit contributors and commenters to attend Press Club events. I attended a handful last year year and sometimes they are packed (the ones with booze) and sometimes they are not (perhaps like the one above). No matter the attendance they are usually good for a lesson of some kind. Check ‘em out.

Spacey G January 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

Welcome aboard, Cantrell! Now, for the committees we’d like you to serve on…

While a longtime member, I’m not on the APC board (where APC membership applications are approved, or not) but I’m guessing Chip Rogers’ membership application will be crossing the boardroom table any day now!

Change is good. Change keeps us on our toes. Change keeps us weird.

Comments on this entry are closed.