Morning Reads 1/21/13

January 21, 2013 6:30 am

by Ron Daniels · 36 comments

Happy Martin Luther King Day

I fully believe we need a new stadium in Atlanta. The Georgia Dome is clearly cursed. People get stabbed there, too. Our prayers to the victim.

It’s week two, at least by the calendar, and the General Assembly is focused on the budget. The budget is also moonlighting as “The Disappearing Man.” I propose we buy a bunch of blood hounds and key them in on the scent of money. Step 3 is profit.

You may have a National Championship, but we have lower electric bills. Take that Alabama. Maybe Robot Nick Saban is sucking up all the state’s juice?

Shipwreck off of Cumberland Island; likely from the 1800s. Could this have prompted a move to make Georgia’s boating under the influence laws stricter? Likely not, but this stuff writes itself sometime.

Congressman Gingrey gets fact-checked on rape.

Merger of middle Georgia Tech schools progressing.

Changes loom for Georgia license plates. Oh where, oh where, is M.E. Thompson and the Three Dollar car tag?

Some good news for the holiday:

Dodge County wrestler wins national championship.

Middle Georgia woman told she’d never walk; runs in marathon instead.

MLK Bible restored for inauguration.

Holiday Music Selection. It’s different.

Daddy Got A Gun January 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

Next Campaign Slogan ….. Phil Gingrey: Wrong about rape. Wrong about guns. Wrong for Georgia.

Bye Bye Gun Banner!

stillaskeptic January 21, 2013 at 9:48 am

You’re right about the guns, but I think you may have been mislead about another part of Politifact’s story. Consider these two alternative views:

1) Though the article cites a claim that “while chronic stress… may decrease a woman’s ability to conceive, there’s no scientific evidence that adrenaline, experienced in an acute stress situation, has an impact [, in itself,] on ovulation,” logically, such an alleged lack of supporting evidence doesn’t disproved Gingrey’s claim.
2) Riddle me this: Does the article present information which explicitly denies a possibility of any particular acute stress trigger adding to a woman’s existing stress to an extent which would cause their totality to consequently be classified as “chronic” stress?

mountainpass January 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

“Other than his recent revelations on magazine capacity, do you have any other problems with the guy?…”

Don’t forget him being “open” to universal background checks which is just de facto registration.

And with Cuomo saying “Confiscation could be an option” it matters.

DavidTC January 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Wow, the dumb, it blinds!

There is _no mechanism_ for a traumatic event to somehow magically stop a woman’s cycle instantly. Hell, *we* can’t even do that with chemicals. The Pill just tricks the body diverting down the other fork, the fork of ‘pregnant’, it doesn’t stop anything.

And *it doesn’t happen*. No one’s ever noticed it happening. Written history is thousands of years old, and I think that if women’s menstrual cycles shut down in the aftermath of traumatic events, *they would have noticed by now*. (Seriously, is the premise here that women are stupid?) It would have been common knowledge for all of human history, and confirmed about 100 years ago via medical science.

And, just as importantly, considering that for most of history, not just human history but even pre-human history, hell, the entire history of mammals, the ‘consent’ of the female has been rather unimportant, if pregnancy didn’t result from rape, NO ONE WOULD EXIST. Grabbing females and having sex with them without caring about their wishes is basically how the entire animal kingdom works, and how humans worked until probably 100,000 years ago (And then only stopped to make the rule that men could only do that with _certain_ women.), so that would be a very strange evolutionary mechanism to suddenly show up. (And it raises the odd question of how women would evolve an evolutionary mechanism that just resulted in _less_ fertility.)

Seriously, this is one of the stupidest premises ever, and is something entirely invented, in very very recent history, by people attempting to attack rape victims.

Ed January 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

Life isn’t worth living anymore.

atlanta_advocate January 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

I don’t know why rooting for the 49ers is such a horrible option. The 49ers are no longer our hated division rivals (well not so much rivals as the team that batters our brains in 2 games a year) so it isn’t like rooting for the Saints, Bucs or Panthers. Also, let’s face it: resenting the 49ers for beating the Falcons when it was really the Falcons – and more specifically Matt Ryan – who gave the game away makes no sense. All the 49ers did was take what the Falcons handed to them like anyone else would have. I mean come on. My favorite statistical point from the game:

Julio Jones yards in the 1st quarter: 100
Julio Jones yards in quarters 2, 3 and 4 combined: 48

The 49ers made no adjustments. Ryan just stopped throwing him the ball. (Or failed to get the ball to him when he did.) So, we gave up 5 draft picks to get a guy that we were going to pretty much ignore for 3/4 of the biggest game in franchise history. (Well not “we” … just Matt Ryan.) Can’t blame the 49ers for that. So just root for them against Ray Lewis, so the guy won’t get to be sent off into retirement as some kind of hero.

Ed January 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

“I don’t know why rooting for the 49ers is such a horrible option.”

Because I’m a Patriots fan.

atlanta_advocate January 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

Hmmm. Well root for the team that knocked your team out to lose.

SallyForth January 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I know why rooting for the 49′ers is a terrible option: because they are douche bags. They have a league-wide reputation for being dirty players, and I saw why yesterday. I don’t know what the TV announcers were saying or what TV chose to show, but I was at the stadium and watched the real stuff. Their team, especially their defense, should be nicknamed “dirt.”

The officiating gave the game to the 9′ers – or lack thereof. Example: those four S/F giants picked up J Rogers, one on each hand and foot, held him up in the air about waist height and THREW him physically down the field . this should have gotten at least a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct or excessive roughness, plus at least 15 yard penalty. Not a single ref threw a flag and instead brought up a 4th down on the Falcons, made us give up the ball!

On another play where the 49′ers had failed on the 4th, were turning the ball over to us, the ref came up with a bogus non-existent “excessive roughness after the play” call on us — our guy barely swiped their helmet as he batted down a pass; instead of us having the ball on their end of the field, the refs gave them the ball on our 35. This led to them getting a touchdown, when the ball should have been in Matt’s hands instead.

And how about that fumbled snap that Matt fell on? The whistle should have blown, but instead the refs stood there and let the 49′er GIANT defensive guys pile on top of him and wrestle the ball away from him — then called it a fumble recovery, gave them yet another opportunity to score. I could go on, but it just makes me sick.

Given a few flags from the refs for roughing the passer (especially with Ryan’s bleeding mouth, then later a busted clavicle/shoulder as evidence) and flagrant 49’er fouls on our receivers (try catching a ball with the defender holding your arms down) and the game outcome would have been different.

The Falcons played their guts out. But we aren’t the big-money marquee team that hauls in the big money for the powers-that-be in professional football. Example, all the people in the secondary market ticket selling business were whining before the game about how much less they were able to sell tickets for to the ATL conference championship game than previously. The sports media was already scripting a “Harbaugh Bowl” for the Ravens and the 49′ers during this past week Ergo, Foxboro and Atlanta, forget about it.

Midway through the 3rd quarter I could see the plan unfolding – the National Referees Association is not accountable to anybody in the NFL structure, so they are open to the highest bidder. The betting/gambling establishment, the after-market ticket selling companies, TV networks, etc. of the people with big money at stake want a scripted Super Bowl that makes them big bucks. Our team doesn’t draw the big bucks for them, so ix-nay.

If we’d had a clean game with fair officiating on both sides of the ball, there is no doubt in my mind who was the better team and should be headed to the Super Bowl. Also look at the stats from the game — and that with Matt Ryan playing injured the 4th quarter, while our D held the much touted “Crackerjack” to 21 yards of rushing.

No way should any self-respecting Atlanta fan root for that bunch of jerks. And I’m with Ed about the Ravens and Ray Lewis. So that leaves me rooting against both teams. I don’t even plan to watch the Super Bowl staged production this year. Now I will go back to my day-after depression.

Ed January 21, 2013 at 2:58 pm

“I know why rooting for the 49′ers is a terrible option: because they are douche bags.”

I dunno man, sounds like a perfectly good reason to like a team to me. (Hence why I decided to take my fandoms to South Beach.)

atlanta_advocate January 22, 2013 at 8:06 am

SallyForth:

First off, if it is all a rigged game as you claim, then why even watch at all? Second, if the zebras were able to get San Fran into the game, why weren’t they able to do the same for New England, which would have pulled in much more money than Baltimore, which isn’t even the highest profile team in its own market? And how come the NFL and the referees don’t do anything for the Dallas Cowboys, the most valuable franchise in American sports?

Sorry Sally. The Falcons really shouldn’t have even beaten Seattle the previous week. They only did so because of Pete Carroll’s terrible decisions in the red zone in the first half. Where it could have been 20-14 and should have been at least 20-6 going into halftime, the Falcons were LUCKY that it was 20-0. Another thing, Carroll made the bad decision to kick the ball to Jacquizz Rodgers – who had been killing them all day – instead of squib kick the ball, which would have left the Falcons with worse field position and less time. The Falcons went 13-3 during the regular season, but against the weakest schedule in the NFL. Again, they played the #32 schedule in the NFL. The Falcons only beat 2 teams that made the playoffs during the regular season, and one of those lost their starting QB during a close game. And even against the lineup of bad teams that they played, the Falcons needed to win close games and comebacks. They just weren’t that good.

It is amazing how everyone goes the conspiracy route when their team loses, but everything is a meritocracy when their team wins.

SallyForth January 22, 2013 at 1:10 pm

A/A, you don’t sound like much of an Atlanta advocate to me. :-\ And nobody ever said it was a meritocracy when our Falcons won – it was more like a miracle, when they had to play well enough to not only overcome the other team, but also bad ref calls (or non calls).

About that 2012 schedule, the Falcons played the teams the NFL said they had to play. Each year’s line-up is based on all the teams’ experience of the previous season. Since the Falcons were one of the play-off teams last year, like all play-off teams the NFL made up their schedule based on the 2011 results. Nobody had a crystal ball for how things would go in 2012.

I don’t know where you got your numbers, but according to the NFL, the Falcons strength of schedule tied with Washington and San Francisco for 24th, Houston was 29th, Green Bay 31st, and New England was 32nd. All of these teams were in this year’s play-offs, so should they all be dissed? Of play-off teams, the NY Giants were actually 1st and Denver 2nd in strength of schedule, but both lost last week.

Your analysis of lucrative markets is a bit off. The S/F Bay area and Silicon Valley is one of the most moneyed areas of our country, roughly tied with NYC area and the DC-Baltimore area. Nobody brings out the big-money more than those.
As I said earlier, the sports media was already scripting a “Harbaugh Bowl” for the Ravens and the 49′ers during the week before the Division Championship games. Ergo, Patriots and Falcons, forget about it. And look what we’ve got.

I don’t just watch; I put my money where my mouth is, go to every Falcons home game, season in and season out. I’ve gone on the road to away play-off games (was also in the Vikings’ Dome for The Kick), and of course went to the Super Bowl in Miami. That year we managed to out-play the other team and the refs, shocked the NFL, the gambling industry, the media, and the sports world. I will never forget going to the Miami stadium all decked out in its Super Bowl finery – and seeing Denver’s blue/orange flags flying, along with Minnesota’s purple/gold flags! The script had been written and everything was in place for those two teams predetermined to be there. The stadium people had to hustle and actually put our black Falcons’ logo onto the purple/gold flags. The audacity of the Falcons to actually be in the game!

But to answer your question, I watch the Falcons away games on TV because I cannot NOT watch. I keep hoping year after year that we can overcome the stacked deck again. But you can bet money I won’t be watching this year’s production of the Harbaugh Bowl.

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Ed January 21, 2013 at 8:22 am

“Life isn’t worth living anymore…..Will not watch the Superbowl, definitely stay away from Ray Lewis’ Superbowl parties.”

But if life was really not worth living anymore, seems that one would want to go to a Ray Lewis Super Bowl party, seeing as how Ray Lewis has been known to throw a killer party and all :)

Dave Bearse January 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

I’m making this pitch herre because it may be unworthy of Charlie’s reposted column.

2013 is the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. I suggest that Georgia and Alabama cooperatively commemorate the anniversary by designating I-85 between its southern terminus, the I-65 interchange in Montgomery, and Lakewood (Connector) interchange the M.L. King, Jr Expressway. The route of I-85 is the general route King took to Montgomery in the 1950’s. I’m unfamiliar with the history of I-85 construction, but King may well have traveled I-85 or portions of it when returning to Atlanta from Montgomery.

I-85 within Montgomery is already designated the M.L. King Jr. Expressway. It is fitting that the principal road linking the two cities that were King’s homes bear his name. “M.L. King Jr. Expwy” above or below “Atlanta” on I-85 directional signs would promote King’s Georgia roots to visitors and tourists.

I-85 being the route from Atlanta to Washington, the King Expressway designation could perhaps be extended from Atlanta through the Carolinas to Virginia.

atlanta_advocate January 21, 2013 at 9:27 am

How about we name it the Ronald Reagan/Robert E. Lee/Stonewall Jackson Expressway in return for forcing the state legislature to bring a bill that would fund the Savannah port and a railway to link the port to Georgia’s transportation hubs to the floor? I am sorry, but the John Lewis/Congressional Black Caucus approach to governance (i.e. endless bills to rename anything and everything) doesn’t get us anywhere. Ideas like this and trying to secure public funds for a civil rights museum that A) no one will visit and B) is redundant anyway because of the King Center are really the sort of thing that Democrats need to get away from.

David Staples January 21, 2013 at 9:41 am

I have no problem with people naming interstates whatever they want. Most people will still refer to them by their numbers. Seems like the effort of “renaming” (which is actually just adding another name to it) could be better used on other projects that could actually make a difference, no?

stillaskeptic January 21, 2013 at 9:51 am

Interstates : Georgia :: Post Offices : US

atlanta_advocate January 21, 2013 at 10:54 am

Precisely. And though I hate going after John Lewis after he so recently lost his wife, the fact is that in all his decades in Congress, his only accomplishments – the only thing that he has ever gotten enacted – are these types of renaming bills. And yes, when urban Democrats assume control over an area, the first thing that they do is try to rename everything while letting the basic nuts and bolts of governance go to seed. Sorry, but the DPOG is going to have to junk this mentality if it is ever going to be relevant in Georgia again. And 8 years of Perdue and now 2 years of Deal – plus the shenanigans with the legislature – shows that we do need the DPOG to be relevant, if not necessarily in control.

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 21, 2013 at 11:57 am

But the Democrat Party of Georgia is relevant and in firm control of the Georgia political scene….It’s just that now they operate under the banner, name and guises of the “Republican Party of Georgia” as good ol’ Sonny Perdue and Nathan Deal are but only two examples of Southern Democrats turned Republican to further their political ambitions.

stillaskeptic January 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Err…, what we have here is a failure to communicate.

David C January 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I’m having a hard time hearing you criticizing the CBC for renaming things all the time. Then again, having flown into Ronald Reagan National Airport, after previously driving yesterday on the Ronald Reagan Parkway, walking through the Ronald Reagan Federal Building today, seeing veterans of the USS Ronald Reagan, and some students from Reagan High, I’m quite tired.

Dave Bearse January 21, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I’m not a big fan of memorialization by road names, despite my suggestion. I typically don’t favor honoring the living for example, or renaming a segment of a long well-known road. You taking the occasion of a national holiday honoring Georgia’s greatest son to discredit memorialization is sad.

Dave Bearse January 21, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Indeed names are more useful than numbers when interstates run through cities when the name designations are made to facilitate communication as well as memorialize.

An example of less than ideal designation is I-20 west of the west side Perimeter being “Tom Murphy Freeway”, and I-20 ITP being “R.D. Abernathy Freeway”. Designate I-20 west of the connecter “Murphy Freeway”, and I-20 east of the connector (and continuing east of the east side Perimeter) Abernathy Freeway”. (Then there’s no confusion when someone says I-20 west whether the person is referring to I-20 west of the connector, or westbound I-20 who knows where.)

The Last Democrat in Georgia January 21, 2013 at 10:46 pm

“There are many cities where the people use names instead of numbers to identify interstates. Even in Atlanta for example Perimeter and Connector are as common as I-285 and I-75/I-85.”

You mean like the Dan Ryan (a.k.a. “The Ryan”…I-90/I-94 below the I-290 Jct.), John F. Kennedy (a.k.a. “The Kennedy”…I-90/I-94 above the I-290 Jct.) and Dwight D. Eisenhower (a.k.a. “The Eisenhower”…I-290) expressways in Chicago?

“The King Expressway would neatly identify I-85 south of Atlanta (Lakewood) from I-85 north of Atlanta (Brookwood).”

You mean like as in “All lanes are shutdown on the MLK-X (M.L. King Expressway) Southbound south of the I-285 merge because of a car fire”?

Your renaming scheme suggestions for Interstates 85 and 20 are not bad ideas. Though, the thing is that I-20 is named as it is, in honor of Tom Murphy west of I-285 OTP and in honor of Ralph David Abernathy east of the I-285/I-20 West Interchange ITP because while the neighborhoods that line I-20 ITP are still predominantly black, at the time I-20 was named for both the legendary Georgia House Speaker Murphy (who was white) and the Civil Rights leader Abernathy (who was black), the neighborhoods and community along I-20 OTP into West Georgia were still predominantly white for the most part (though that has changed in recent years along the I-20 West OTP Corridor through South Cobb and Douglas counties).

If the name of Ralph David Abernathy, a black Civil Rights leader, were taken off of I-20 West by a predominantly white and Republican state government between I-285 West and the I-75/I-85 Downtown Connector and replaced with the name of Tom Murphy, a white politician, all hell would break loose in the Atlanta media for weeks on end with charges of overt racism continuing to fly for the foreseeable future in what would be probably the largest unneeded public relations nightmare yet for the Georgia Department of Transportation, a government agency with an extensive recent history of bumbling decisions and stumbling actions.

Taking Abernathy’s name off of I-20 West ITP and replacing it with Murphy’s name, no matter how well-intentioned, would quickly turn into (yet another) massive public relations debacle that a poorly-perceived state government and Georgia Department of Transportation can ill-afford right now.

Dave Bearse January 22, 2013 at 8:48 am

And the Lodge, Ford, Chrysler, Fisher, and Reuther Freeways in Detroit.

The deed is done on I-20, and I agree it’s not going to be undone—it was merely offered as an example. It would be lost on some name-change opponents that many more people would likely refer to it as Abernathy if the memorialization were more logical from a transportation persepctive.

Lea Thrace January 21, 2013 at 10:56 am

Maybe I need to up my reading comprehension, but where did John Lewis or the CBC propose this? I read the comment to mean that “Dave Bearse” proposed this…

slyram January 21, 2013 at 9:51 am

I want to say that (in my opinion) Dr. King would be impressed with the Obama on some level but also with Dr. Condi Rice, Gen. Colin Powell, Mayor Cory Booker and Gov. Jon Huntsman. To me, we need leaders who push for more discussion involving everyone and leaders who push for personal responsibility.

atlanta_advocate January 21, 2013 at 11:01 am

John Huntsman would be too conservative for Dr. King. Huntsman is considered a moderate in today’s political context. But the GOPers of King’s day, like George Romney and Edward Brooke, were more liberal than a lot of Democrats are now. And considering Dr. King’s stance on the Viet Nam War (very much against) I don’t know what he would make of Condi Rice and Colin Powell either. Cory Booker – who defended Mitt Romney and private equity – has pro business instincts that are very different from the economics espoused by the 50s and 60s activist movements that King moved in. I really do wonder if his being made into a more mainstream figure by virtue of his national holiday has helped obscure how liberal – and at times radical – Dr. King was. King was most certainly to the left of the Democratic Party, which is why he never affiliated himself with it, and opposed the civil rights movement’s doing so.

Scott65 January 21, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I think it would be quite impossible to know what his (Dr King’s) politics would be today. I think he would be a lot closer to the Bill Cosby view that in todays world there is more of a cultural problem than a racial problem (although the racial problem still exists). Also, remember in the 60′s…most people were what we would look at as “radical”. The push back against that view was evidenced in the 72 election. Time and age tends to make some more conservative over time

atlanta_advocate January 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

@Scott65:

I disagree. From W.E.B. Du Bois on down, virtually none of the civil rights leaders became more conservative. And as far as Bill Cosby goes, he was never that liberal to begin with. Why people presume otherwise is unusual. While the civil rights crowd was attacking the legitimacy of the military and the police, Bill Cosby was serving this country in the Navy. While the civil rights crowd was fantasizing about how things would be better for blacks if we were more like communist China, Cuba and the Soviet Union and backed the Viet Cong, Bill Cosby was very pro-business. And Bill Cosby was addressing social issues in the black community like illegitimacy and crime in his speeches and comedy routines as far back as the 1970s. And during his sitcom in the 1980s, he made a point of refusing to excuse or legitimize drug use or teen pregnancy among blacks by allowing Theo Huxtable or one of his daughters to get hooked on drugs or become an illegitimate parent. Cosby rejected the Marxist line of the civil rights leaders that drug use and illegitimacy among blacks were inevitable because of economic and social conditions imposed on the black community.

On the political spectrum, Bill Cosby is an old fashioned mainstream Democrat like Scoop Jackson, Sam Nunn, Zell Miller and Daniel Patrick Moynihan, and like Al Gore used to be before he went left. Not an anti-establishment socialist type which makes up the civil rights movement and has from the beginning (W.E.B. Du Bois was a member of the American Communist Party, and towards the end of his life renounced his American citizenship and went to hang out with the mass murderous dictator Mao Tse-Tung, because he was bitter that he would never live to see America become Maoist in his lifetime … needless to say this isn’t taught in our history books).

Scott65 January 21, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Some fun links I came across today…if you need a diversion
1-What causes “road rage” (so relevant here in Atlanta)

2-Worlds Weirdest Hotel Rooms

saltycracker January 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm

49ers – Candlestick Park – outdoor stadium – old baseball field

Patriots – Foxboro stadium – outdoor stadium – no public funds used to build

Ravens – M&T Bank Stadium – outdoor stadium – shared with others

Falcons – - Do(o)med stadium – most expensive of the bunch

Just sayin’

atlanta_advocate January 22, 2013 at 8:35 am

And the Falcons are the only franchise of the bunch that actually plays downtown in the city that it allegedly represents. They don’t play in suburban New Jersey like the “New York” Jets and Giants. They don’t play in Foxboro, Massachusetts like New England, whose home is supposed to be Boston. And they don’t play in Camden Yards, which while technically in Baltimore isn’t downtown. (Plus the Ravens stadium was built with public/private funds that was much worse for the taxpayers than the 70/30 split that Blank is proposing.) And while the 49ers are currently in Candlestick Park, which by the way was built 100% with public financing, in 2014 they are moving to a new stadium in the suburbs, Santa Clara. Funny how you left the whole picture out of your statement.

If this stadium deal falls through, Blank will build a smaller facility on his own dime in the suburbs, and the Falcons will be the only one who uses it. The result would be a disaster for the GWCC, downtown, Atlanta, the region and the state, and it won’t do a whole lot for whatever suburb that gets them because the facility will only be used to host the Falcons, not other major sporting and other events because it won’t be a general purpose facility and Blank would have no incentive (financial or otherwise) to allow anyone else to use it. And the GWCC would be stuck with a soon to be obsolete Georgia Dome (which everyone agrees will need to be replaced in a few – 10 at most – years, just not now) that has no major permanent tenant and no hope of ever getting upgraded, let alone replaced.

Just sayin’ …

Harry January 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

What difference does it make if they play downtown or in the ‘burbs? Just asking…

Baker January 24, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I am vehemently against building a new stadium, but I do think it very important for the ‘Atlanta’ Falcons to play in Atlanta. I drove through downtown after the Seahawks game and it was great. I dream of a day when downtown Atlanta is a bustling, vibrant part of Atlanta and I believe the Falcons can be a great anchor for that. For now though, the Georgia Dome can continue to be that anchor.

Harry January 25, 2013 at 1:07 am

That’s nice.

Comments on this entry are closed.