Thursday Afternoon Speculation – Saxby Chambliss Edition

January 10, 2013 14:58 pm

by Mike Hassinger · 12 comments

So Kyle Wingfield wrote a column about his interview with Sen. Saxby Chambliss, mostly about the possibility of shutting down the government (yes, please!) but tagged this little nugget from our Senator on at the end:

This is an eight-year decision for me. It’s two years [campaigning] plus six years” in office, he said. “And if I thought the next eight years were going to be filled with contentious debates and the wrong way to govern that we have just gone through in the last two months, it would have a significant impact on my decision. But yeah, right now my plans are to run.

Which prompted the eagle-eyed Jim Galloway to underline and question the “right now” part of that quotation. Which only serves to fuel the speculation and rumor that Sen. Chambliss, guaranteed a primary challenge from the Tea Party Express, and according to Charlie -without much support from Governor Deal, may not seek another term in 2014.

Chambliss would be 70 years old at the start of a re-election campaign -which doesn’t mean anything by itself, but is the age when many folks start to mutter “I’ve had enough of this nonsense.” So, who would make a good Senator should Chambliss decide he doesn’t want 8 more years that look like the last two months? Rep. Phil Gingrey or Rep. Lynn Westmoreland? Or is there someone else who’s not being mentioned?

elfiii January 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Tom Price and shut it down!!!!

NorthGAGOP January 10, 2013 at 4:18 pm

It would be fun to see Saxby, Price and Broun duke it out.

Daddy Got A Gun January 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’ve been interested in what Casey Cagle’s plans are. Is he going to be lt. governor for life? I think he could beat Amnesty and TARP loving Taxby

Napoleon January 10, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Gingrey is the same age as Saxby…well, to be specific, he’s a year older than Saxby (born 1942 while Saxby was born in 1943). If age is a consideration, then Gingrey. Next in age is Broun (1946), Westmoreland (1950), Price (1954), and Kingston (1955). Then there is the GOP under 50 crowd of Woodall, Collins, Scott, and Graves.

Of course, nothing says the next Senator has to come from the U.S. House.

Charlie January 10, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I appreciate the encouragement there at the end, but I am not planning on running right now.

Napoleon January 10, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Right now?

Daddy Got A Gun January 10, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Lt Gov. Cagle was born in 1966. He’s a youngin’

Napoleon January 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Probably why he has difficulty tying his shoes. (couldn’t pass up the set-up)

Daddy Got A Gun January 10, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Grandson of Flubber January 11, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Is it true that Rep. Gingrey said Todd Akin (MO, Moron) was “partially right’ on “legitimate rape” comments? I’ve seen this allegation, but have a terribly difficult time believing he would say such a thing.

Napoleon January 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm
IndyInjun January 11, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Chambliss deserves to be primaried. Somebody please do it so I don’t have to vote for a Democrat!!!!

Please!!!!

Comments on this entry are closed.