Morning Reads for Thursday, Jan 10th, 2013

Good morning!  As legislators are launching head first into the new year and the upcoming session, the private sector is doing the same.   I’ve been suh-lammed.  Some know, some don’t that I’m a regional sales manager in the construction industry by day.  Bolt it to the floor or I’ll sell it – haha.  I’ve already had a conference with my boss this morning, and he’s in the Central time zone.  Giddy up; let’s get it.

If you’re going to be at the CoreNet Atlanta & CREW Joint Economic Forecast in Cobb today at 11:30am, look for me and say hello. Disclaimer: I’m on CoreNet’s Communication Committee. This is a shameless plug, but the event’s been sold out anyway 😉

1. Rick Day says:

I gave up TV in 2005. They occasionally pop into view at the GA Dome during games or at bars and eateries about town to catch an away game, but I’ve managed to avoid The Office, Walking Dead, AI, America’s [fill in the blank] and that meth show. TV died for me when they cancelled ‘Carnivale’, ‘The Wire’ and “Judging Amy” *sigh*

I gave up FB about 6 months after I opened an account. I got into an argument with a redneck biker nephew over his redneck racist jokes and we didn’t speak again. He dies in a wreck, and I’m like “this is no fun”. I have 8 people on staff that do nothing but market on FB. It is what it is.

So yeah, quitting FB is the new ‘quitting TV’. And yes, Hulu is cheating.

2. John Vestal says:

Good stuff from Gregory….(Bridg’s MDJ link)…..

“It’s the only way we’re going to save this country,” he said. “When we talk about liberty, we’re talking about the philosophy of the founding of this country. We’re talking about what our Founding Fathers actually believed. What they wrote. At the time they were referred to as classical liberals. Today they would be considered libertarian. I believe that the libertarian base of the Republican Party is the faction of the Republican Party that truly perpetuates the spirit and the message of the founding of this country.”

3. Rick Day says:

BTW I have my lower season tickets available (Sec 123 Row 2 Seat 3-4) at face value ($165 ea) if anyone wants to scarf them up for Sunday’s game.

4. I’m kinda liking that Gregory guy, who is quoted as saying:
    “You know, marriage is a religious institution,” Gregory said. “It belongs in the church, and it should be between you and your God. It’s not the domain of the government. I don’t think anybody should be asking government permission to get married. So it takes gay marriage out of the whole equation. It’s not an issue anymore if it’s not a government thing. It’s a church thing. If your church is in favor of gay marriage, they would marry you. If your church is not, they won’t marry gay people. It would be up to the church. It has nothing to do with the government in my mind. It should not have to do with the government.”
    Gregory said he believes that marriage is between a man and a woman.
    However, “I don’t mean to impose that on anybody else or any church,” he said. “It should be a nongovernment issue.”

• Lea Thrace says:

“It should be a nongovernment issue.”

Yep. So take out the government benefits that are associated with marriage. Tax credits/deductions etc. Ha! Cause that will ever happen.

Something about people wanting their cake and eating it too…

• No, there’s a reason that marriage gets “government benefits” like tax credits/deductions. Those reasons are monogamy and children. Those are beneficial to society. The state (philosophically speaking, not the State of Georgia) has an interest in encouraging models of behavior that are likely to create monogamy and children.

• I’m going to have to disagree here. Tax credits / deductions are not given out for the combination of “monogamy and children” – they are applied separately. For example, the more children one has, the more deductions they are able to take – whether or not they are in a monogamous relationship. So by that measure, the “state” is also encouraging single people to have children as well, no?

• saltycracker says:

Everyone wants in on children tax credits – here’s some cuts from:

With that taxpayer ID number, an immigrant can now file a tax return. And, just like any other taxpayer, that illegal immigrant is eligible for child tax credits, up to a $1,000 per child.

“I’d say realistically 70 to 80 percent of what we were seeing was fraud. And blatant fraud,” said Antelis.

The inspector general found the IRS refunded illegal immigrants $4.2 billion in child tax credits in 2010 alone. They suspected fraud.

Antelis felt people were stealing your money by lying about how many kids they had and forging birth certificates, passports and school records.

And where were the biggest problems?

“Easily the Atlanta, Georgia area was our top source for fraudulent applications,” said Antelis.

The inspector general found nearly 24,000 different tax refunds were sent to one address somewhere in Atlanta – they won’t say where. The total amount of those refunds: $46 million.

• Lea Thrace says:

You’re speaking out of both sides of your mouth here. If you want it to be a “nongovernment” issue, then you have to take government out.

How is government involved? Credits and deductions.

You want one, then you cant have the other.

Cake and Eating it too!!!

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Charles Gregory does appear to be a rising star in Georgia politics very-early on. The young man comes across as “the real thing”. This kid is going places.

5. saltycracker says:

Those 1,500 GM tech jobs come with a $3,500 @ yr. tax break as it is in an economic opportunity zone of high unemployment- Roswell, Ga.
    So where exactly is the breakeven point for GA taxpayers in handing out $5.25 million each yr. to GM ?
    P.S. Mansell Rd. is pretty congested now. Might need some serious road work.