Morning Reads 1/9/13

January 9, 2013 6:05 am

by Ron Daniels · 16 comments

Llama owners beware: they can give you rabies.

The continuing saga of dead coastal county commissioner.

Will Georgia wind up with gold coins? I’m going to tell my boss to keep the card swipe machine just in case . . .

Atlanta got a visit from an “immigration caravan.” If you read in between the lines, they make some pretty troubling statements. Did undocumented workers vote for Obama, and how?

Even Hollywood folk are not safe from wire thieves. That thievery likely financed the biggest meth operation this side of Mississippi.

Georgia Sheriff: Guns are not the problem. People are.

Congratulations to Sally Quillian Yates, the U.S. Attorney for the North District of Georgia, who was appointed to serve as vice chair on the advisory committee for US Attorneys. Ostensibly, this means Eric Holder is doing something.

Georgia Power to close Lake Sinclair power plant and others; Thanks Obama.

New York Best Seller: Eric Rudolph’s Biography?

And in honor of Georgia Power closing down . . . your morning music selection. Happy Wednesday.

Rambler14 January 9, 2013 at 8:00 am

Central to the governor’s plan, whose component parts would raise an estimated $3.1 billion for transportation over 5 years, is elimination of Virginia’s 17.5-cent per gallon gasoline tax for most passenger vehicles — the levy would remain in place for diesel fuel. Virginia would be the first state to go that route if it dumps the fuel tax, according to state officials. …

McDonnell would replace the state surcharge on gas by increasing the state’s current 5-cent sales and use tax to 5.8 cents and dedicating all additional revenue generated from that to transportation. Even at that level, state officials say Virginia’s sales tax would remain lower than rates in surrounding states.

The administration’s argument for the swap is that the buying power of the gas tax, a key road revenue source, continues to dwindle as construction costs rise and vehicle fuel efficiency standards improve. …

Aside from the tax swap proposal, other elements of McDonnell’s plan include:

– A $15 increase in annual registration fees on motor vehicles.

– An annual $100 fee on alternative fuel vehicles, including hybrids.

– Another attempt to dedicate a greater slice of existing sales tax revenue — from the current .5 percent to .75 percent over five years — to roads.

– Receiving more sales tax revenue from online retailers, a plan contingent Congress’ passage of a law giving states the authority to compel such merchants to collect taxes on sales made through their sites and remit them to Virginia.

Stefan January 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I hadn’t even considered taxing Virginians. That’s a great idea, though I should point out that just because only out of state residents are paying your tax, doesn’t guarantee its passage (see the Falcons stadium).

ricstewart January 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

Georgia political trivia on Jeopardy! last night: there were three answers about the boards of directors that Sam Nunn serves on… and the final Jeopardy was about Jimmy Carter.

ricstewart January 9, 2013 at 8:37 am

I read the GPB article about the immigration, and maybe I’m not reading closely enough between the lines… what led you to believe that they insinuated undocumented immigrants voted for Obama?

Ed January 9, 2013 at 8:50 am

Probably the bit about how more deportations have happened under Obama than any other POTUS, or that more federal law enforcement spending Obama has been directed toward immigration than counter-terrorism, etc.

George Dickel January 9, 2013 at 9:40 am

“He says Latinos played a decisive role in President Obama’s re-election.”

He either believes that all Latinos are undocumented immigrants, or he’s doing more reading between the lines than actual reading.

Ron Daniels January 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

I think I actually read more than you.

They go on to, further, talk about immigration reform in Georgia and how that prevented some undocumented immigrants from seeking higher education. I also read about the goals of the advocacy groups mentioned in that article. And reading that leads me to a very simple conclusion, these people don’t know anything about Georgia if they think undoing that law is a “simple” change.

Whether or not undocumented immigrants voted for Obama or not, I can’t say. I’m fairly certain voter fraud takes place in every election on some scale, and from that article I would believe undocumented immigrants would vote for Obama. But I think a majority of Americans voted for him; and I KNOW they aren’t ALL undocumented.

ricstewart January 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I still fail to see any hints that from that GPB article that undocumented immigrants voted for Obama.

Ron Daniels January 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Are you suggesting they wouldn’t have motive? The people behind this “caravan” seem to believe he will be more favorable to undocumented immigrants this second term, or face their advocacy.

I guess if you read this article in isolation of everything, it doesn’t get you to that point. There is some circumstantial evidence out there that undocumented immigrants may have voted. I read the GPB article and connect the dots that some may have voted for Obama. I certainly don’t think it was a big problem. More of an observation really.

Do you think undocumented immigrants managed to vote ricstewart?

ricstewart January 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I’m not suggesting they don’t have the motive; I don’t know. I also don’t know whether or not they committed voter fraud. But that’s not the point.

The point is this: I don’t understand how you concluded from the GPB article that undocumented immigrants committed voter fraud any more than the llama article led you to believe that rabid llamas are committing voter fraud.

Ron Daniels January 9, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I happen to read a lot of things on the internet. I don’t know how better to explain it than this:

xdog January 9, 2013 at 8:37 am

What do the southern strategy, detente, price controls, and the opening of China have in common? They were all considered policy of one man, Richard Nixon, who would be 100 today.

CadeThacker January 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I just posted this on the MDJ article about the Georgia currency.

Great idea Rep. Gregory. We need competing currencies. Ron Paul actually did not encourage the dollar per se to go back to gold (although he supported it), but instead to create competing currencies (ie states, etc) to create gold back currencies and compete on the open market. If you like the dollar, fine, stay on it, if you want gold back dollar, then move there.

Here are some facts.

In 1975, one troy oz of silver would buy just under 7 gallons of gas.

In 2011, one troy oz of silver would buy just over 7 gallons of gas.

What is holding its value better, silver/gold or the fiat dollar? Easy answer…

CadeThacker January 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Here is a chart that explains this visually by showing the price of gas since 1990 for 1 oz of silver. You can see that over time, the purchaser power actually went up.

Max Power January 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm

My god what has happened to my home state. Is it trying to be joke?

Ed January 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

The BBWAA may be the stupidest collective organization in the world.

At least Jack Morris and Dale Murphy didn’t get in.

Comments on this entry are closed.