A New Constitutional Amendment?

January 6, 2013 21:19 pm

by Eric The Younger · 9 comments

This is definitely more national in origin but I think this may be of interest to many of you. Two days ago a bill was introduced in the house that proposes an amendment to the constitution. Well really the repeal of an existing amendment.

The 22nd amendment was put in place shortly after FDR had been elected to a fourth term as president. The idea was to constitutionally enshrine the practice that George Washington had established that it is only proper to serve two terms as President.

The really interesting part about this story though is that Rep Serrano has proposed this amendment in every congress since 1997; which would be twice under Bill Clinton, 4 times under George W, and now twice under Obama.  Every time, except the current bill, it has died in committee.

It is interesting that someone has wanted to end term limits for this long. So far it would seem that this would meet Einstein’s definition of insanity. It seems rather fool hardy to continue to try this in the current political climate given the make-up of the house as well as how much some Tea Party organizations are calling for term limits to be applied to congress.

Given Rep Serrano’s tenacity for this amendment, it would seem safe to say that this isn’t a conspiracy for an Obama third term though many across social media are pushing that theory.  Regardless, as the weekend draws to a close feel free to have a discussion below about term limits for both the President (reality and probably not changing) and Congress (pipedream).

LoyaltyIsMyHonor January 6, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I support it. The problem isn’t term limits, but uneducated voters…pure and simple.

R or D? Fox or MSNBC? blah blahblah…..

Reagan would’ve easily received a 3rd term…so would’ve Clinton. W? Would’ve been close although I believe he would’ve lost against Obama…then again, Obama would win a 3rd term since the current Republican strategy is to hope that minority turnout is low.

David C January 7, 2013 at 2:24 am

W would have been crushed had he run for a third term, assuming he even got out of a primary challenge. He left office with something like 20-25% approval to 69 to 75% disapproval. Those are Hoover / Carter / Nixon in August ’74 numbers right there.

IndyInjun January 7, 2013 at 7:45 am

He got those numbers the old fashioned way, he spurned them. (and more than them, us).

The worst vote I ever made was for W.

LoyaltyIsMyHonor January 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

I never could bring myself to vote for the guy. I couldn’t stand his father either….that was my most despised vote.

Bush-Dukakis, most uninspiring election in my lifetime.

IndyInjun January 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

41 turned my father from a life-long Republican to votes for Clinton and Gore. He tried to warn me about W.

LoyaltyIsMyHonor January 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm

As for your Einstein reference….how many Creation of Sandy Springs bills were introduced year in and year out before it became a municipality?

Was Mike Egan insane? Drunk maybe, but not insane…;)

Eric The Younger January 7, 2013 at 11:01 am

That’s why I said “it would seem.” Without knowing his mindset it’s difficult to say that he actually expects different results.

WesleyC January 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

As President Josiah Bartlett once said, “we already have term limits in this country – they’re called elections.” The real problem, therefore, is gerrymandering since it prevents districts from actually being competitive and elections from serving their true purpose. Congressional term limits would simply be a bandaid on that larger, underlying problem. On the other hand, the presidential term limit has more merit in my view given the huge scope of that office’s power and its unique potential for abuse/authoritarianism.

Eric The Younger January 7, 2013 at 11:17 am

I think you may be correct, WesleyC. This problem was mentioned on Meet the Press on 30 Dec 2012 by Tom Brokaw during the round table discussion. It creates too many “safe” districts where you get people like Todd Akin and Charles Rangel. As for the presidential limits there is a great book called “While Dangers Gather” by Warren Howell and Jon Pevehouse that looks at the abuses you mention.

Comments on this entry are closed.