Everyone getting used to signing dates with a ’13?? It’s already 1-3-13. I’m ringing in the new year by staying off FB and keeping my tv turned off for a few weeks. That translates to “will be reading a lot.” I’m to Part 2 in East of Eden where Cathy Ames bails on Adam Trask. The description of the 1900s struck me:
“We must get out of this banged-up century, some said, out of this cheating, murderous century of riot and secret death, of scrabbling for public lands and damn well getting them by any means at all. … There came boom and bust, bankruptcy, depression. Great public thieves came along and picked the pockets of everyone who had a pocket.”
This Steinbeck guy isn’t EL James, but he’s pretty good. The Twittah is my go-to for a while. Erick seems beloved - at least he can laugh about it and RT. Buzz was even on the radio yesterday (2:30 mark).
- Plans to transfer Georgia State Archives from the SOS office to the public university system.
- Underground Atlanta to be re-vamped. Ah, got it – Developer O’Leary let the Norcross gambling complex fade away in order to set his sights on the great white whale – a casino in Kenny’s Alley. Well played, sir. Well played.
- Balfour now on FBI radar? and a guess on Rep Buddy Carter’s role this session (h/t to one of Fishtail’s comments)
- Augusta: Staff shakeup announced at youth detention center. ”Womble was dismissed Monday because at the time of the assault, he was serving a yearlong probationary employment period for actions that led to five inmates escaping in October.”
- Savannah: Glynn Co. commissioner’s holster, ammo found near body. I mean no disrespect to the deceased or his family, but this death is becoming a tv storyline. Shot in the head, died from drowning, empty prescription bottles and zip-ties.
- Cobb & Cherokee: 911 caller said bombs were buried outside the Cobb and Cherokee county courthouses. Coincidentally, the monthly foreclosure auction traditionally held on the Courthouse steps was scheduled around the same time.
- Dacula: Detectives may have link in gun shop theft.
- Forsyth County: Poop. 50 heaping bags of it. Dumped around a women’s property. It’s not funny, but even the reporter talks about finding a crack in the case. Bahaha.
- Clayton County: Clayton DA accuses commissioners of violating Open Meetings Act
- Etowah County: a 30yo carnie named George Michael indicted for sexual abuse. Profiling. Sometimes it’s just that easy.
The Cliff in All Its Dramatic Glory (Plenty more links below the fold)
- Stocks surge after Congress passes budget deal
- Fiscal Cliff Negotiations Between John Boehner And Harry Reid Reportedly Got Heated
- Admit it – you want an office with a fireplace so that you can dramatically crumple up reports and toss them in. Harry Reid Threw Obama Fiscal Cliff Proposal Into Burning Fireplace.
- Furious & Fuming: Christie Blames House GOP, Boehner For Politicizing Sandy Aid. The video (middle left of page if it doesn’t open): “The toxic internal politics” around the 1min mark. ”New Jerseyans and New Yorkers are tired of being treated like second-class citizens” around 1:20 mark.
- Senate-Passed Deal Means Higher Tax on 77% of Households
- Tim Carney: How corporate tax credits got in the ‘cliff’ deal (h/t to one of Harry’s comments)
- Al Jazeera Is Buying Its Way Into Viewers’ Homes With A Deal For Al Gore’s Current TV. Al Jazeera is close to a deal for Current, which would make it available to a majority of cable viewers around the country.
- Hillary Clinton discharged from hospital
- Israeli TV star-turned-politician seeks social reform
- Background Checks For Guns Hit Record Number In December. The latest monthly figure was up 49 percent over December 2011.
- U.N. lifts Syria death toll to 60,000
- Aww sookie sookie now – Chick-fil-A’s seasonal chicken tortilla soup is available Jan 2 – Mar 31.
- CEO New Year’s Resolutions …in 140 characters or less.
- Do you have MLK Day off and need something fun to do? The MLK Day 5K is through Piedmont Park with a 3.1mile drumline. It’s also a Peachtree qualifier if you’re an avid runner.