Morning Reads for Thursday, January 3rd, 2013

January 3, 2013 7:03 am

by Bridget Cantrell · 5 comments

Everyone getting used to signing dates with a ’13??  It’s already 1-3-13.  I’m ringing in the new year by staying off FB and keeping my tv turned off for a few weeks.  That translates to “will be reading a lot.”  I’m to Part 2 in East of Eden where Cathy Ames bails on Adam Trask.  The description of the 1900s struck me:

“We must get out of this banged-up century, some said, out of this cheating, murderous century of riot and secret death, of scrabbling for public lands and damn well getting them by any means at all.  … There came boom and bust, bankruptcy, depression.  Great public thieves came along and picked the pockets of everyone who had a pocket.”

This Steinbeck guy isn’t EL James, but he’s pretty good.  The Twittah is my go-to for a while.  Erick seems beloved – at least he can laugh about it and RT.  Buzz was even on the radio yesterday (2:30 mark).

Georgia

The Cliff in All Its Dramatic Glory (Plenty more links below the fold)

Inter/national

Whatevs

John Vestal January 3, 2013 at 7:44 am

2013….first year since 1987 with 4 unique integers.

Also good to see CurrentTV will be getting some credibility.

mountainpass January 3, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oconee Sheriff Berry standing with citizens.

Sirs,
It is my understanding that you have stopped selling self loading rifles to members of the general public in favor of selling them to law enforcement officers only.
I deeply regret that decision. As such, this agency will no longer seek bids from or purchase from DSS.
Thank you for your time and attention to this email.
Sheriff Scott Berry
Oconee County Georgia Sheriffs Office

Thanks Sheriff!

SallyForth January 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Steinbeck was okay when he was not on booze or blow. Oops, that was Hemingway! Both writers have always sort of depressed me. Good luck with your book, Bridge.

Dave Bearse January 4, 2013 at 1:03 am

Steinbeck is easily among the best half-dozen American writers in my book.

The enduring/persavering of the human spirit in his work is uplifting.

SallyForth January 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Hey! What’s with all the double-underscore advertising links on P/P?? I haven’t been on here since before the holidays. Can somebody please tell me what’s up with that?

Comments on this entry are closed.