2013 Legislative Session Survey

January 2, 2013 9:00 am

by Buzz Brockway · 17 comments

Last week I sent a short survey to my constituents to get their opinion on a few items that might pop up in the 2013 Session of the Legislature. I’ll be making those results available soon.

Below is the same survey for Peach Pundit readers. Let’s see how out of touch you folks are with the outstanding folks of my district. Of course I hope you all understand this in not a scientific survey so just answer the questions and have some fun.

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading questionnaire tool.

ricstewart January 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

I wish #4 had a response that read “equally far from the Republican Party and Democratic Party.”

elfiii January 2, 2013 at 11:25 am

I used to be loosely affiliated with the Republicans. Now I despise them as much as I despise the Democrats. Hint – I look on Hitler’s sister with more respect than I do either party.

Howard Roark January 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Posting on the same thread as you and pbradley. This is like a homecoming.

Not The Mexican Weather Man January 2, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I have never voted for a democrat in my life, but this is about to change. Lets burn it to the ground!

Three Jack January 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm

How can anybody who considers fiscal responsibility to be a priority affiliate themselves with either party? Republicans just agreed to a ‘deal’ (ha) providing the federal government with over $600B in new revenues against $12B in purported spending cuts. This after turning down multiple offers with the ratio in reverse where purported cuts would outweigh revenue increases by up to 4 to 1.

So on Jan. 1, 2013, Georgians face multiple tax increases from various levels of government including the state of Georgia which is completely dominated by GOPers. Neither party gives two cents about those they pretend to represent. It’s all about what they can do to enrich themselves while maintaining a constant state of crisis in order to keep voters in fear.

greencracker January 2, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’ll take the survey if you promise to post the snarkiest responses.

pbradley January 2, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I didn’t bother answering #6, since for most of them, I sincerely doubt by “reform” what is actually meant is “the government has no business interfering with this in the first place, so let’s stop doing it and repeal any laws associated with it.”

Chris January 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

As a libertarian, reviewing the comments, so far, on this thread gives me a modicum of hope.

Now if we could only convince the other voters out there that there is a problem and get some decent 3rd party candidates we would be set.

Charlie January 3, 2013 at 9:58 pm

“As a libertarian…”

Explains why you folks are still stuck at 1% of the vote, given that you start out your first comment here referring to the vast majority of those you’re trying to persuade as “idiots”.

ieee January 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

I agree. It is unfortunate but I think to be a successful politician, a person cannot actually tell the truth. That is a huge struggle for Libertarians.

The fact is that the vast majority of Americans are actually idiots. A person does not have to look very closely to see that. Part of the proof is the simple fact that there are so many Democrats, Republicans, and huge, nanny governments with millions of laws. But if we can just have more laws that supposedly control what people do, everything will be okay. Idiots.

Chris January 4, 2013 at 9:57 am

I’m sorry to have offended you. I will try harder next time to be more sensitive.

Being only 1% of the electorate does not make them wrong – I would argue that is is not the message, it’s that they don’t get the media exposure that the other 2 parties get. Incidentally, I’m not a member of the Libertarian Party, I have a strong libertarian/anarcho-capitalist ideology – unfortunately, this makes me a bit under represented.

That being said, When I refer to “idiot voters”, I am referring to people that vote in the same tired old representatives that got us into this mess because it is completely illogical to expect that they will right the ship. There is very little turn-over in the House which is our main vehicle for changing the direction of this country. The following are the problems: the uninformed outnumber the people that see that there is a problem; voters have such loyalty to their party that they dare not go against it; voters feel that voting for 3rd party candidate is a wasted vote; and voters have a choice of crap candidate 1 vs. crap candidate 2 – therefore, we are unfortunately all screwed until that changes.

But again the tone of these comments gives me some hope so I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Charlie January 4, 2013 at 10:16 am

I’m not that sensitive. I’ve been here a long time.

In that time, I’ve seen quite a few idealists who spend an awful lot of time and keystrokes to describe how a perfect world should work, but put zero effort or understanding to getting the 51% of the votes that are required to implement those grand visions.

This is a blog about politics, not a place for imagining what a perfect world would look like. If you plan to start your time here referring to everyone else as idiots and insolating your ideals as pure while everyone else’s unworthy, your time here will likely be very frustrating and counterproductive.

IndyInjun January 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

Well said. However, there are some here into brass knuckles politics who ARE getting results from ID’ing the imperfections in a very serious way and getting action to at least mitigate the damage, when not gaining outright victories.

A lot more is ‘possible’ than you might believe in the world of political ‘martial arts.’ (Maybe Ralph Reed was onto something when he gushed about being a political assassin.)

With respect to the GOP and its prospects, it sure looks like light’s out. This spells opportunity.

Charlie January 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

Yes. The people who identify imperfections and present actual alternatives and a roadmap to implement/execute/elect can be helpful.

Those who start out refering to those who disagree with them as idiots generally don’t fit that category.

IndyInjun January 4, 2013 at 11:03 am

For many reasons, the masses of people have been, and continue to be irresponsible. As the pain and consequences intensifies, we can get more of their attention to bear on good old common sense. We sometimes get impatient that the process is so slow.

I am energized by it all, but some folks want instant gratification – to reform or take over the world right here and now. These folks do not grasp the importance of winning votes at the county/city level that were seen as IMPOSSIBLE just 2 years ago.

If you can get your S*** together to present facts forcefully, things happen. This is growing. This is a new age and time. PP is fostering it, ‘negative Nellies’ and all.

mpierce January 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

And only 40% [of voters] can correctly state that the Republican Party currently has a majority of the seats in the U.S. House of Representatives [and not in the Senate].

I’m sure most people reading this can answer all of the questions correctly, but the vast majority of voters can’t. I wonder how many people in line didn’t know who/what was on the ballot when they arrived at the polls. Unfortunately, with the level of uninformed voters we have, rhetoric and soundbites rule over facts and thought.

seekingtounderstand January 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Dear Fellow human being, don’t worry my representative who is tied in with our Lt. Governor said their goal is to raise taxes on food and other items needed to live so that they can say they eliminated the horrible income tax. And toll roads will be everywhere, its a done deal. Press is not covering the truth and they hope you don’t notice.
My state senate rep. raised the tax on used cars so that his car dealership would get more business.
I am pretty sure they will do what ever they can to raise taxes on the working class in order to give their friends a tax break. And we will continue to do poorly with educating our children so as to keep them stupid and not a threat.

Comments on this entry are closed.