Rep-elect Gregory Posts Commentary and Explanation on Gun Bills

December 26, 2012 12:00 pm

by Bridget Cantrell · 7 comments

I respect representatives who communicate on a real level.

I stand by my comment that Rep-elect Gregory’s timing was in poor taste, but I appreciate his explanation: Charles’ Commentary.  Some highlights are below.  Comically, I literally laughed out loud when I got to the bullet point clarifying he was not raised in a religious cult.  I in no way ever heard that, but his candor and putting everything out on the table is refreshing.

Let me start out by saying that my wife and I have three (3) young children; two (2) of them currently attend public elementary school. Like so many of you, news of the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary has affected both of us deeply. It was a terrible, senseless tragedy that, like parents all over America, has us holding our children very close this holiday season. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims and everyone that has been touched in any way.

Let me also clarify that, contrary to the media hype, the introduction of these bills is not in response to what happened in CT. I campaigned on a pro-liberty, pro-2nd Amendment platform and have been working on this legislation on-and-off for months. HB26-29 had just received their final review from legislative council at the time of the shooting. […]

I am going to attempt to dispel a few myths I have seen passed off by various sensationalist journalists and mis-informed posters; contrary to statements that suggest otherwise:

• HB28 & HB29 do not force churches and/or colleges to allow guns on their property; they simply return private property rights to the owners of the property. In other words, the church or the school gets to decide, just like virtually everywhere else in the state.
  • The proposed legislation does not legalize or promote gun violence.
  • The proposed legislation has nothing to do with alcohol.
  • The proposed legislation in no way forces anyone to own or carry a gun.
  • I was not raised in a religious cult.
  • I do not believe the world is going to end any time soon.
  • I do not believe we are in imminent danger of going to war with the federal government.

John Vestal December 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

“I was not raised in a religious cult.”

Geez….what did Judy Manning say this time?

The Last Democrat in Georgia December 26, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Charles Gregory is a rising star within the powerful Cobb County political scene that powers the Georgia Conservative movement, a Constitutional Conservative with a very-strong Libertarian bent. Keep an eye on him.

Bridget December 26, 2012 at 11:25 pm

…we’ll see…

I wish him the best.

The Last Democrat in Georgia December 26, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Are you kidding me? We’re already talking about him before he has even been sworn in to office! In politically-influential Cobb County, this is the stuff that political dreams are made of.

I’m telling you, this kid is going places, politically.

stillaskeptic December 27, 2012 at 12:08 am

“Constitutional Conservative?” You might as well call him a “Real American.” Neither of those terms mean much.

The Last Democrat in Georgia December 27, 2012 at 3:02 am

Those terms mean a heckuva lot to the people calling him or anyone else those terms.

The Last Democrat in Georgia December 26, 2012 at 11:37 pm

“I stand by my comment that Rep-elect Gregory’s timing was in poor taste”

…You mean like the poor taste exhibited by the anti-gun lobby who used the Sandy Hook tragedy as the perfect opportunity to further their so-called “gun control” agenda for law-abiding citizens (violent gun-toting criminals and outlaws not included)? With many anti-gun zealots even going so far as to make calls to invalidate or even completely OVERTURN the Second Amendment to achieve their objective of disarming law-abiding Americans (again, violent gun-toting criminals and outlaws not included…they didn’t get their high-caliber firearms legally anyways, so who cares?).

Comments on this entry are closed.