Since I Mentioned The First Amendment…

December 21, 2012 8:45 am

by Mike Hassinger · 7 comments

…in this post, I feel it’s incumbent on me to say that this guy

has tested the limits. Here’s what he did:

He made the statement: “Don’t worry, I’m not going to pull the Connecticut thing here,” and then started laughing, said Roswell Police Officer Lisa Holland.”

Dude. “Too soon” does not begin to cover that. Where did he make that statement? At a daycare center. While wearing a surgical mask.

Baluss told Channel 2’s Mike Petchenik he was wearing the mask because he had the flu and didn’t want to spread germs, and that he came to the school to inquire about enrolling his 2-year-old son there.

“I didn’t see that I was any kind of terrorist or that I was disturbing their peace,” he told Petchenik.”

Well, umm, yeah. You’re wearing a mask and have shaved head a goatee and an earring. Nothing wrong with any of those things, but you need to learn to be aware of context.

Dude. Just, Dude!

Daddy Got A Gun December 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

He better hope I or other gun owners aren’t on the jury because we will convict. He clearly meant to scare and disturb the peace. What he did should be prosecuted to the fullest extent and no leniency should be granted and the sentences should be consecutive, not concurrent.

I did want to note this quote …. “Roswell officers arrived shortly after he left the school “. This is another example of that despite the best efforts of Law Enforcement, they can not respond quick enough because geography, traffic, notification delays, factors outside their control, etc.

We need to allow background checked licensees to carry in schools. That would allow schools (private and public) to decide how best to protect the kids whether its armed teachers or parents.
Its the only solution that is cost-effective (essentially free), doesn’t get tangled up into constitutional restrictions against taxpayer funded LEO’s used to protect church owned schools,
will allow an immediate armed response, and poses a deterrent to jerks like this guy.

bowersville December 21, 2012 at 9:56 am

You walk in a daycare with a mask and say you’re not going all Connecticut on them and scare the heck out of everybody and your complaint is:

“Right off the bat, they’re treating me like a criminal,” he said. “I feel like they should have done more and they should have been a little more inquisitive about the situation and about me as a person.”

Too bad you can’t prosecute stupid.

Nonchalant December 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Glad there is no mania going on.

LoyaltyIsMyHonor December 21, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Yep, he should have said “Going Postal” “Get Medieval” “Selling Them Whiskey” “Whip their Ass” “Lynch them”…..whatever…..

sunkawakan December 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

Well, the First Amendment doesn’t mean you can yell “Fire!” in a crowded theater. Seems to apply here.

Doug Deal January 7, 2013 at 11:49 pm

“Roswell police told Petchenik, in light of the tragedy in Newtown, the off-color joke wasn’t just off base, it was also criminal.

No one finds this disturbing? No one?

Active imaginations do not trump the right to free speech. What he said was idiotic, but if saying you aren’t going to do something becomes threat-worthy, I guess police should have the right to shoot someone dead because they yell they don’t have a gun. I guess with the hipster facial hair, they thought he was making an ironic threat.

Also, please clarify to me when profiling by appearance is ok, so no one runs afoul. If he had a hoodie instead of a surgical mask would that have been okay?

Hysteria should not be coddled at the expense of our basic rights. The first amendment is about protect idiots, trouble makers and people with bad taste. There is no reason to protect popular speech.

Mike Hassinger January 8, 2013 at 7:53 am

That’s easy for you to say.

Comments on this entry are closed.