Morning! I’m in Nashville this week. The multiple hours of windshield time allowed me to listen to an oldie, but goodie again: The Millionaire Next Door (9 lessons). Undoubtedly, most of you have read it also. If not, I highly recommend it to the GOP Book Club when determining new strategies for targeting voters.
A good portion of the book explains that most millionaires are first-generation i.e. they got ‘up and out’ with frugality and good planning. Most are entrepreneurs; most appear blue collar. Like most parents, first-generation millionaires want better for their kids – private schools, college, “economic outpatient care”. A lot of times the parent’s drive to succeed is replaced with the child’s drive to appear successful – all hat, no cattle. By the third generation, the accumulation of wealth is usually gone.
Mull on this idea as we determine our attitudes towards immigration: America must maintain a constant inflow of immigrants in order to keep the same or rising number of millionaires.
Links to Morning Reads are below the fold.
- Boehner whipping Gingrey, Kingston and Broun on ‘Plan B’
- New state car tax law coming in March
- Georgia’s jobless rate falls to 8.5 percent in November — lowest level in nearly 4 years
- Ten Georgia college presidents lobby for gun control
- Oh good – Fulton jail will get working cell locks next year
- Georgia Fair Share delivers petition to Woodall’s office
- Job Opening: Downtown authority chief to step down
- Hall County worker furlough days canceled
- Today would’ve been Hillary’s testimony on Benghazi. No need to post more articles about it, but Clinton said Monday in a letter to the committee that she would respond to the committee’s questions in January.
- State Dept security chief resigns after Benghazi
- Dec. 21, 2012: Fearful ‘end of world’ callers flood NASA
- US senators criticize ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ in letter
- Miss USA Olivia Culpo is crowned Miss Universe. First time since 1997.
- Well, s#it – CTA Passenger Attacked With Sock Filled With Human Feces
- Midwest hit by its first major snowstorm of season
- Un-hitching the middle class. Sure, marriage will happen for me at some point, but Erick needs to chillax on his view of singles.
- Video: Santa/Mose Rap Off. Snoop dressed up as Moses. “Smoking the burning bush.” #justwrong
- 26 Moments That Restored Our Faith In Humanity This Year
- Before and After Meth Photos. Hey – the conversation is uncomfortable, but you’re not doing right by your kids (or nieces/nephews) if you don’t have a conversation about the real consequences of “just trying it once to see what it’s like”.