Afternoon Reads–A Tradition Begins?

December 20, 2012 13:13 pm

by Ed · 14 comments

Here’s the first of what may become an occasional series…”Afternoon Reads.” You know. As opposed to “Morning Reads.”

If you haven’t finished your Christmas shopping (and I know a lot of y’all haven’t started), don’t even bother, man. Four shopping days which is really just three because its so late in the day now, and then you’ll have other commitments this weekend… I’m sure your loved ones will understand. Unless of course you are still looking for my gifts, in which case WHY ARE YOU STILL READING THIS????!!!!!

Also, how are you preparing for the end of times tomorrow?

They call it stormy Monday, but–THURSDAY is just as bad. Take it away T-Bone Walker.

Even with the rain, Lake Lanier is still 14 feet below pool. Remember that epic drought a few years ago? Laneir’s basically at the same level as it was then.

The city of Brookhaven opened for business on Monday. What’s life like in Georgia’s newest city?

Heading to D.C. for the inauguration? The Georgia State Society released the 411 on its gala.  Need to fill that +1 you got? Holla at your boy (IE: Me).

You know who else is going to the inauguration from Georgia? The marching band of Georgia State University (the Panthers). Teams’ bands NOT participating include: The Bulldogs (of UGA), The Yeller Jackets (of Tech) and every other college in Georgia.

Just in time, The Georgia Bulletin, the official Papist mouthpiece in Georgia published its Christmas edition.

Atlanta is taking over. ATL-based ICE buys the New York Stock Exchange for a cool $8.2 billion.

Our Amtrak station could move next to Atlantic Station as part of a multi-modal transportation hub. On the surface it seems neat but it seems like some of the existing infrastructure needs to be improved and tweaked before we build a new hub, IMO (side note: its always seemed to me incredibly odd that private buses have had to ferry people from Arts Center to Atlantic Station. Can’t explain why. That is seems to be nearly overwhelmingly employees isn’t helping). Would like to see the old station building preserved. Not sure what could be done with it, however. There’s no parking other than the Masonic lodge next door.

Funeral services for Jesse Hill Jr. are scheduled for Friday at Big Bethel A.M.E.

NPR looks at the permanence of the MLK memorial in D.C.–which is already being altered because they got the inscription wrong in the first place. The memorial opened 16 months ago.

Austin Scott was named chairman of the House Agriculture Committee’s Subcommittee on Horticulture, Research, Biotechnology, and Foreign Agriculture. Be. Still. My. Beating. Heart.

I think there was something else I wanted to post but I can’t remember it now.

Not in Georgia

GQ has an investigation into Shakil Afridi, the doctor who lead the U.S. to bin Laden’s door.

Today is a very important date in world history. 110 years ago Géo Léfèvre talked to Henri Desgranges about starting un grand tour through France on bicycles. Their talks became the Tour de France, one of the greatest sporting events regardless of what may or may not be used by competitors. Allez.

griftdrift December 20, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Typical liberal excess

Ed December 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Typical libertarian-tard complaining without any solutions.

Ed December 20, 2012 at 1:47 pm

FYI–all I want for Christmas is a Carp Circle t-shirt. I wear size medium.

Bob Loblaw December 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Good spot for Austin Scott. Very good spot for both his district and Georgia as a whole.

atlanta_advocate December 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yep. Biotech is huge in the Georgia Tech-Emory complex. Should be at Georgia Medical also. If it isn’t, Scott can help things along with some good old fashioned earmarks and pork. Might as well have biotech replace the defense pork that Newt Gingrich and Sam Nunn used to bring home. Unless someone has other ideas. Beyond the Savannah port thing of course.

Bridget December 20, 2012 at 8:47 pm

You are just crotchety :/

A sophomore Congressman chairing a subcommittee is actually a nice accomplishment that can only help Georgia.

atlanta_advocate December 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I agree totally. I guess I failed to communicate. Again.

gt7348b December 20, 2012 at 3:48 pm

The Atlantic Station Shuttle (they prefer “Free Ride” – notice the abbreviation of the first name) was a condition of the approval of the 17th Street bridge and the overall Atlantic Station development.

atlanta_advocate December 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Wonder what ICE buying NYSE will mean for Georgia.

Mike Hassinger December 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I have to say, this was posted at 1:13 PM, but it reads like it’s from 4:20.

Gibber. Ish.

Bridget December 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Boom.

The Last Democrat in Georgia December 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

“I have to say, this was posted at 1:13 PM, but it reads like it’s from 4:20….Gibber. Ish.”

Don’t you mean inhale, cough, inhale again, raid the pantry, raid the fridge, then sleep?

Ed December 21, 2012 at 7:22 am

Wait man. Are you like…saying that like… I may have like, had a substance or something, man?

Ed December 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

Also, I’ll take note of the fact that clearly individual and separated items pose reading comprehension challenges for Mike. In the future, I’ll try to (somehow) make it easier for you to follow along; maybe a five-word no dependent clause limit per sentence? IRDK.

Comments on this entry are closed.