Deal, Reed and Bipartisan Progress

December 7, 2012 13:20 pm

by Mike Hassinger · 19 comments

Via Jim Galloway at the AJC comes this bit from The Economist, a piece on the cooperation between Governor Nathan Deal, leader of our fair state, and Mayor Kasim Reed, leader of the biggest city in that state.

“… anyone who wishes to see what successful bipartisanship looks like in action should look south, to Georgia, where the state’s Republican governor and the Democratic mayor of its biggest city are compiling an impressive record of co-operation.”

The article cites the new Porsche headquarters and the ongoing progress on dredging the port of Savannah as evidence of the success of the partisan partnership. (Hmm, I remember reading about that somewhere a while back.) And, interestingly, this:

“It helps that Messrs Reed and Deal both come from a legislative background, where—elected officials in Washington take note—compromise breeds progress. It helps also that neither is an ideologue: tea-partiers have called Mr Deal a RINO (Republican In Name Only), just as Mr Reed has taken heat from his party’s left wing.”

I was not aware that Mayor Reed had taken any heat from his party’s left wing -but I’m not those mailing lists.

atlanta_advocate December 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

@Mike:

Even if you did mean “I was not aware that Mayor Reed had taken any heat from his party’s left wing -but I’m not those mailing lists” tongue in cheek, why even write that when one only has to search your own blog to find this:

Reed is a moderate, pro-business establishment mayor. The guy is actually to the right of Mike Bloomberg, Republican mayor of New York City, and is very much in the same ballpark ideologically as Rudy Giuliani. You would have to not read the local mainstream or alternative media at all to miss progressive and civil rights leaders bashing Reed all the time. So, I guess you missed the NAACP, the Sierra Club, the Georgia Black Caucus etc. joining forces against Reed on the T-SPLOST in a “progressives and civil rights groups strike back against the pro-business mayor” move? Or Joe Lowery’s public scathing Reed over his handling the Occupy Atlanta movement? Incidentally, the progressives and civil rights groups despise the Beltline, which they believe redirects money from social and anti-poverty programs, and also perceive it as some plot by the business community to gentrify and take over the city.

At times like this I find myself wishing that Atlanta would get an actual far-left mayor – the sort that generally governs the likes of Baltimore, D.C., Detroit, LA, San Fran, Chicago, New York etc. – instead of the moderate mayors that Atlanta has always had, just so folks could see what an actual liberal mayor governs like. I also wonder if Reed is wasting precious time, energy and political capital working with Deal that would be better spent going it alone. Instead of trying to work with Deal, he would probably be better off trying to attract private investment (the Cory Booker approach) or working the Obama administration.

Rick Day December 7, 2012 at 4:59 pm

this pretty much fleshes out my short pending comment of:

within my libertarian friend circles, this bipartisanship is known as ‘two different sides of the same coin, controlled by one pocket.”

Thanks!

Mike Hassinger December 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Not hard to be to the right of Mike Bloomberg -most everyone is. He’s not so much a Mayor as he is a Premier of New York and the General Secretary of the nanny-state party. And I confess that not reading “… the local mainstream or alternative media at all to miss progressive and civil rights leaders bashing Reed all the time,” is a real pleasure.

John Konop December 8, 2012 at 7:25 am

Seriously Mike? Any rational person would bet on Bloomberg via fiscal policy, knowledge…….. This guy forgot more than you know about how econmics works! How do you think he made his money? You may disagree with his social views ie gay marriage…….but this guy is a fiscal genius end of story.

Baker December 8, 2012 at 11:24 am

Frankly I don’t disagree with him on gay marriage, but just because you’re a billionaire doesn’t mean you’re right on everything related to fiscal or monetary policy. Clearly the voters on Nov. 6 didn’t think so.

seenbetrdayz December 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Bloomberg gets along great with gay people unless they order a 32 oz coke.

Baker December 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Without getting into the weeds on this, for the record, Bloomberg renounced any connection to Republicans a while back: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/19/AR2007061901769.html

Kasim Reed is definitely to the right of him. Bloomberg’s money has gone to his head.

John Konop December 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

The main reason he has distance himself is via social policy and the GOP lack of investment via climate change. As far as fiscal policy he is conservative. Unless we invest in better infrastructure the climate change destruction will have a major impact on our economy. Ignoring the needs is not conservative it is irrational in my opinion. If we do not rebuild without taking into consideration the new weather patterns, it would be very short sided.

Baker December 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

Banning foods is conservative?

Not doing anything about a looming pension disaster isn’t conservative either…

Baker December 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

And another thing: I dare say if national Dems were a bit more like Kasim Reed, we’d be better off. I think Kasim (save for that awful stadium bullhooey) is a great improvement over lots of other Atlanta politicians over the years. Reed isn’t a constant race-baiter and I think he has been trying to work to get metro Atlanta working together (despite what you think about the TSPLOST) rather than constantly trying to thwart each other.

I Miss the 90s December 9, 2012 at 12:31 am

If the national republicans were more like Reed we would all be better off.

I have heard more race baiting out of the GOP these past four years than the democrats have in the past 40.

rrrrr December 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Been using those “noise canceling” Bose headphones exclusively now have we?

I Miss the 90s December 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Bloomberg never banned foods…he and the city council decided that in their jurisdiction that if fat people and their fat kids want to burden our healthcare system with adult onset diabetes and heart disease that they should pay their fair share for it.

rrrrr December 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

BUT he does believe in detemining whether newborms get breast of formula…

It’s only matter of time before he dictates cloth or disposable diapers too. If this is conservative anything, I must question the dictionary edition / definition being utilized to make that determination…

I Miss the 90s December 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

‘Conservative’ doesn’t mean anything to begin with. Make up what ever nonsense you want to believe, conservative just sounds better than fascist.

Atleast Bloomberg isn’t telling people who they can and can not marry or persecuting immigrants or redefining rape or trying to deny the poor affordable healthcare or trying to require pregnant women to give birth, etc.

I am not quite sure what you mean by ‘breast of formula,’ but you are also wrong on this. He is not dictating anything, hospitals in his jurisdiction will not be providing baby formula to encourage breast feeding…that is all.

Loosen up your tin foil hat and turn off Fox. You aren’t learning anything.

Dave Bearse December 8, 2012 at 3:13 am

When I read “Hmm, I remember reading about that somewhere a while back.” you were going to go much farther back as both these projects (Porsche / Channel deepening) pre-dated either Reed or Deal.

greencracker December 8, 2012 at 10:15 am

Georgia as a paradise of bipartisan cooperation, The Economist?

Nach, we don’t have to cooperate here. Either the Dems dominate (see: 20th century) or GOP dominates (see: now) with a few geographical variations around cities.

Why cooperate when you can just switch parties? #SinkingShip

seenbetrdayz December 8, 2012 at 1:46 pm

It worked for Florida’s Crist.

I Miss the 90s December 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh, but Christ didn’t leave the GOP, it left him.

Just like we kicked conservatives out of the Democratic Party.

Comments on this entry are closed.