Race To Replace Chip Rogers Shaping Up

It appears the race to replace State Senator Chip Rogers is shaping up, and for those that didn’t get enough of the 2012 election it looks like a do-over.

Jim Galloway reported this morning that Brandon Beach is preparing to make another run for the seat.  Beach challenged Rogers in a primary this summer for the seat – a race which would be for the same term that Rogers has decided not to serve.

Also expected to enter the race as early as this afternoon is Cherokee County State Rep Sean Jerguson.  Jerguson also survived a primary challenge this summer, and his candidacy would open that seat again as well.  Georgia has a “resign to run” law that requires office holders to resign a seat if running for a state position that begins before the ending of the term which they were elected to serve.

Assuming these plans come to fruition, The speculation also begins as well for those who will line up to replace Jerguson.  First on that list would have to be Scot Turner, who has indicated he would consider the race were Jerguson to run for Senate.  Updated: Turner confirms he will run again should Jerguson resign his seat.

1. Three Jack says:

Jerguson set to announce his resignation in a bit to seek the senate seat. Scot Turner will run for the house seat against Brian Laurens.

• 2 Down 1 To Go says:

Byrd – Out
      Chipster – Out
      Jerguson – ?

This just gets better and better. Jerguson resigns his seat to face a decent challenger and creates the possibility of the Cherokee Mafia being broken in one election.

I’m not suggesting that the Cherokee County voters are smart enough to make the right choices (their not) but the possibility is open.

• TheEiger says:

Please tell me that Brian Laurens running is a joke. I will have lost all respect for our legislature if he becomes a state rep.

• 2 Down 1 To Go says:

+ infinity

If there is someone whose had their name in the papers associated with more negative press in Cherokee county than the Chipster it’s Laurens.

• Three Jack says:

It is a joke, but I hear it is going to happen.

“I will have lost all respect for our legislature if he becomes a state rep.” – Hmmm, you must be the one who still has respect for them…I wondered who it was.

• Napoleon says:

Not to take away anything from what 3J said, I will add, why lose respect for the legislature based on the voting decisions of a district? I would take your blame out on the voters.

• Three Jack says:

Don’t forget the newly created GPB position and cost including salaries (was there enabling legislation adopted to create this position or just done by governor EO?). This will not be the most expensive golden parachute in Georgia history, but it will be in the top 5.

• Napoleon says:

I’m sorry, but how in the world do these elections cost so much? Are we paying rent to the facilities? As most of them are schools, shouldn’t a school be required to give up its gym for voting? I can’t imagine if the state is paying tax dollars to a church that no one has sued. Most of the employees are full time. There is no way that the temps hired command that much since I think they are paid about $125 for the day, but I doubt that there are nearly 1,000 of them for this size election. Of course I could be wrong.

• Three Jack says:

For this election, every polling place in Cherokee County plus a few in N. Fulton will have to open. It will be costly.

• SallyForth says:

@ric, as 3J says, all these special elections are costing us taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. I posted at another thread today:

These danged Republicans are costing Georgia taxpayers a ton of money for conducting a continuum of special elections! They jump around like a bunch of fleas, every time a more lucrative job comes available. What part of the word “commitment” don’t they understand?

All these people who ran for the General Election on Nov. 6th were making a two-year agreement with the voters in their districts who hired/elected them as their representatives in the Georgia Senate and House. Nothing short of catastrophe is an honorable excuse for jumping ship. The Republican and Democratic Parties need to add a sentence to candidate qualifying forms, have the candidate swear he/she will pay the costs of a special election if they do not serve the full term for which they are running.

“We honor our public service obligations,” said none of them.