Did anyone win the Powerball?!? If so – I’m free for lunch today 😉 Lots happening here and there in the news. Something big must be happening that we’re supposed to be distracted from…
- Georgia House Republicans weigh in on tax pledge
- Peach Pundit got linked by Politico. Big pimpin’. Erickson mulls Chambliss challenge.
- Rep. Tom Price: Obama Tax Plan Would Fund US for Only 8 Days
- Mayor Reed wants high-speed train to Savannah
- Georgia Tech scores nearly $9.5M in energy research grants. Georgia Tech has received $9.4 million in federal research grants focused on solar fuel generation, wind power and energy storage.
- Appeals court clears way for Georgia’s show-me-your-papers statute to take effect
- Charter school amendment debate far from over: Next up in the Georgia Legislature, redefining “public” schools. It will reappear again and again as the “conservatives” (people who want to conserve and protect the traditional American concept of public schools) and the “neo-radicals” (those who wish to drastically change the nature of public education). Wait – whaat?
- Fulton County hopes to get $40 million in federal Race-to-Top school funds
- Cobb Commissioners approve pay hike for employees and divy up $18M surplus. The property tax rate will decrease by 0.2 mills and the Commissioners voted down a proposed January water rate fee increase. This article is probably worthy of a stand alone front page post. I mean – Cobb County got all William Wallace with tax increase after tax increase last year almost costing Tim Lee re-election and then there ended up being a huge surplus.
- Since we were called out as a “political arsonists” by Governor Deal at the last Cobb GOP breakfast, I feel it my duty to go again this Saturday to hear Senator Chambliss and report back. Do you think he’s aware of his popular #taxby hashtag? Cobb GOP HQ, this Saturday, 8am.
- House Committee Chairs All Men. Meh. It’s a known truth that women are better at balancing and managing budgets – just sayin’
- Two-thirds of millionaires left Britain to avoid 50p tax rate.
- White House promotes ‘My2k’ Twitter hashtag in tax-rate debate. #My2k represents the estimated $2,200 by which middle-class families would see their taxes increase if Congress fails to extend the Bush-era tax rates.
- Rice ends second day on Hill with hopes of nomination appearing to dim.
- Erick just puts it out there: The Incestuous Bleeding of the Republican Party
- Welllll….they have a point. ‘Til 2013 do us part? Mexico mulls 2-year marriage.
- Most Cubans have not paid taxes for half a century; that will change under a new code starting January 1.
- In a twist, Bill’s skills finally benefit his wife. Bill Clinton asks for help with Hillary’s 2008 campaign debt.
- President Obama signed a bill excluding US airlines from any European carbon emissions fee
- Oh, Grover. Leave Republican wives out of it – they won’t be having it. Peter King: My Wife Would Knock Off Grover Norquist’s Head
- Whoo! High five, New Yorkers! No one reported shot, stabbed or slashed on Monday
- The Granny Pod. This was on the news a couple of days ago, but I don’t remember seeing it in the morning reads.
- Egypt Court Sentences 8 to Death over Prophet Film
- Australian widow reportedly leaves $12.5M estate to neighbor
- Motivational speaker Zig Ziglar dies at age 86
- Poor Households Earning $13K Per Year Spend over $1k on Lottery Tickets. President Obama’s entire economic plan is predicated on the bizarre notion that taking away money from those who are most likely to invest it well and handing it to those who are likely to invest it poorly will help the economy. It’s idiocy.
- Video: Google Fiber – Bringing Ultra High-Speed Internet to Kansas City. Google Fiber blog. I’d drop DirecTV and AT&T like a bad habit.
- Family Guy Fans: A ridic video of “Look at Me Now“.
- As documents are unsealed, accusations fly in Joe Rogers Jr. harassment case. Here’s what doesn’t smell right: “a 15-page counterclaim indicating there were 80 to 100 incidents of Rogers sexually attacking her”. How does a woman not go Lorena Bobbit or Dragon Tattoo on the 2nd sexual attack? HOW do 80 to 100 attacks happen? (There are plenty of sweet-talking men that never get to 80-100 with a woman. You’re telling me an attacker does?)
- Braves sign outfielder B.J. Upton
- Herschel Walker to open pub and grill in downtown Athens
- $49 million Mega Millions ticket sold in south Georgia
- 425-lb woman dies after being booted by 3 airlines. A woman let herself get so big she couldn’t fit through the door of the plane and then her husband sues for $6M? I’m sure his loss is hugely devastating, but c’mon…
- Video: Delta employee suspended over airport breach. Passengers awkwardly get to know TSA agents on a personal level to check underwires in bras meanwhile full bags are just thrown over the fence to a baggage handler.
- Casey Anthony Movie Starring Rob Lowe To Debut In January
- Man says prayer group leader told him to kill wife. This whole situation is just weird and cray.
- Angus T. Jones Breaks Silence About Controversial ‘Two And A Half Men’ Remarks
- A good idea from my FB/Pinterest feed that I’ll be doing in 2013: Start the year with an empty jar and fill it with notes about good things that happen. Then, on New Years Eve, empty it and see what awesome stuff happened that year. Good way to keep things in perspective.
So you think you can Google? Play A Google a Day. It gives you a question and you race to Google the correct answer. It’s fairly evil.