Senator Saxby Chambliss Responds On His Stance On Taxes

November 28, 2012 12:19 pm

by Nathan · 9 comments

Senior US Senator Saxby Chambliss must be feeling some of the heat from critics on his statements about his no-tax pledge he signed 20 years ago.  Senator Chambliss responded and reaffirmed his position of  being “not in favor of raising taxes.”  His full letter is posted below the fold for your reading pleasure.

Thank you for your continued interest in our government’s fiscal challenges, and specifically about my views on taxation.  Your taking the time to contact me is always valued, and your allowing me to continue this conversation is appreciated.

In recent days there has been significant discussion in the press about my position on taxes and tax reform.  In spite of speculation to the contrary, my position has not changed and my comments have been consistent and unwavering.  I hope to take this opportunity to set the record straight.

I am not in favor of raising taxes. Raising taxes to pay for reckless overspending is bad policy, and I have never, nor will I ever, advance the idea that raising tax rates is an acceptable option for dealing with our deficit spending.

That being said, with the rapidly approaching “fiscal cliff,” there is much discussion in Washington and around the country about our debt, deficit, federal spending, and tax rates.  We also cannot forget that beyond the impact of the fiscal cliff, our nation is still burdened with a $16 trillion debt that must not be left to simply grow and fester without immediate and significant action.

There are no simple solutions and everything must be on the table. While parts of the tax code provide equitable economic incentives, many of them do not. The current tax code has become burdensome and complex and filled with provisions which only benefit a limited portion of Americans, at the expense of higher rates for all Americans.

As such, in addition to reducing discretionary spending, reforming entitlements, simplifying the individual and corporate tax code, and lowering tax rates, we should remove unproductive tax expenditures.  This is a proven path to prosperity that President Reagan enabled in the mid-1980s and if done correctly, can provide us with a platform for growth that will help federal revenues rise naturally through economic prosperity.  A robust economy simply creates more economic activity and more revenue without raising taxes.

Ultimately, my pledge is to protect taxpayers, not special interests.  We must analyze every aspect of the federal budget, including the tax code.  As my voting record demonstrates, I don’t believe taking more money out of the pockets of hard-working Americans is the right approach for our country.

In summation, I have consistently stated that, due to my conservative principles, I am not in favor of tax increases. I have also consistently said I am in favor of significant tax reform to lower tax rates and generate additional revenues.  Those reforms should be on the table in this debt and deficit debate.  However, this would only be acceptable in return for entitlement reforms from the other side that truly fix our long-term spending problem.

Three Jack November 28, 2012 at 12:48 pm

::cough, cough::,BS::cough

seenbetrdayz November 28, 2012 at 6:04 pm

The wishy-washy tone of the letter reminds me in some ways of the letters he sent out in 2008 right before he voted for the bailouts.

Something like, ‘Rest assured I’m not in favor of . . . —oh look time to vote for the bailout!”

dicecon November 28, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I think it is clear no one like raising taxes, but I believe Chambliss will do what is best and would seriously consider raising taxes. I don’t know why we as a people realize how crazy the debt is.

Why is it not conservative to eliminate our debt as fast as possible (within reason of course) even if that means raising some taxes just to clear what we owe?

eschristian November 29, 2012 at 3:37 am

The conservative approach would be to CUT government spending and CUT the size of government and if that occurred guess what would happen = debt would be reduced and headed towards elimination! But if you think that’s going to happen with Saxby and his friends in the Senate & Obama in the White House & Boehner – laughing – sorry it will never happen! That is why I am glad we have some great ones that have been elected to the Senate and a little in the House – we just need a lot more solid principled GOP members like Cruz, Rand Paul, Chaffetz, etc…

eschristian November 29, 2012 at 3:38 am

PRIMARY HIM – Erickson, Handel, Everson – please one of you PRIMARY HIM!

dicecon November 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

I just don’t think cutting is always the answer. Taxes should at least be linked to inflation so that the government still has reliable spending power each year. I am for a smaller more efficient government, but with a debt that large, more has to be done and leaving options off the table is unacceptable.

Joshua Morris November 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm

What you said makes no sense. Since income tax is paid as a ‘rate’, or percentage of income, it is already loosely linked to inflation.

You also apparently have not seen the numbers indicating that there is no way we can raise enough revenue to fund the current level of spending and debt without taking away nearly all of everyone’s income. The only feasible way we solve the current fiscal problem is to stop the spending on free stuff to people who really don’t need it.

saltycracker November 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

One of the ways the Feds can eliminate the debt is hyper-inflation, unlikely unless they like your idea.

fishtail November 29, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Saxby needs opposition that is local-based, countywide and committed….Saxby has zero local support throughout Georgia….he is prime for the picking…I think Erick would find some great support….even ol’ Fishtail will write him a $1,000 check….

Comments on this entry are closed.