Morning Reads for Tuesday, November 27th, 2012

November 27, 2012 7:43 am

by Stefan · 23 comments

Non-Georgia:

• Japan’s ninjas heading for extinction (BBC)
  • Donald Trump’s tweets with distinction (Complex)
  • The Top 75 ‘Pictures of the Day’ (Twisted Sifter)
  • Grape Growers can sue USDA (McClatchy)
  • Why Black Friday Is a Behavioral Economist’s Nightmare (NY Mag)
  • Lincoln’s master class in politics, and why you should care (Bloomberg)
  • Rick Steves loves his weed (CNNSoundwaves)
  • Why China’s world position will soon recede (TheDiplomat)
  • Statistical Word Problems that you may find enticing (TheAtlantic)
  • How technology opens the door for personalised pricing (BBC)

Georgia:

8:00 Bonus Reads:

• You give me $250 and I will give you $3,300, or why Georgia should accept the Medicaid Expansion (AJC)
  • 25 Douchiest Atlanta Bars, and on it you won’t find Mansion! (Complex)

Andre November 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

Remember this prediction, six days ago:

“Tuesday, the Georgia Sheriff’s Association asked Gov. Deal to suspend Victor Hill, pending the disposition of the trial where Hill faces more than two dozen felony charges. Hill’s attorney, Drew Findling, said in response to the Sheriff’s Association, ‘I think [Clayton County residents] are entitled to have a sheriff that reflects their choice, not the choice of white people.’

“Quite frankly, I would not be surprised if Victor Hill launches a public relations campaign intended to rile up the black folks in Clayton County over a ‘blatant power grab from a white, Republican governor and his minions at the Georgia Sheriff’s Association.’

“The groundwork has been laid with twenty-one words from Hill attorney Drew Findling.”

I was right. Drew Finding, attorney for Victor Hill laid the groundwork six days ago. And now, the Hill house of race cards is being built by black legislators in Clayton County.

Monday, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Fox 5 Atlanta (WAGA-TV) and CBS Atlanta (WGCL-TV) all reported on a press conference held by the Clayton County legislative delegation urging Gov. Deal not to suspend Victor Hill once he takes office 1 January.

State Representative Daryl Jordan even used coded language in a letter to the Governor.

“It seems to me, governor, that when certain people can’t get their wishes at the voting booths, then they employ raw, unmitigated, egregious and flagrant attacks on the Voting Rights Act,” Jordan wrote. “This is unconscionable. The people of Clayton County are tired of this shabby and condescending treatment from people who don’t even live here.”

The “certain people” Representative Jordan refers to is, of course, white people who would dare to “subvert” the will of black folks in Clayton County. Jordan leans on the Voting Rights Act as a subtle way of saying the federal law protects the ability of blacks to elect their preferred candidates of choice, regardless of how crooked their preferred candidate may be.

So now, Gov. Deal is in a lose-lose situation.

If the Governor doesn’t suspend Victor Hill, sheriffs across Georgia won’t be happy. If Gov. Deal does suspend Victor Hill. black folks in Clayton County won’t be happy.

This entire situation is, in my opinion, completely pathetic.

Stefan November 27, 2012 at 8:26 am

You left out the most incendiary part of Jordan’s letter!

“I could not continue to look at myself straight in the mirror if I did not register my complaint with you about the modern-day lynching of an elected official in Clayton County, Victor Hill.”

tdk790 November 27, 2012 at 8:36 am

Sad situation. You know Clayton County well.

Ed November 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

GriftDrift’s favorite bar–Moe’s & Joe’s–is on the list of douchiest bars.

Charlie November 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

I can only assume they rated it on a night when Grift and I were having one of our drinking contests there. Spoiler alert! The bar won.

I have only visited 15 of these fine establishments, for the record.

Stefan November 27, 2012 at 9:26 am

That was my neighborhood bar growing up, but sadly I can’t disagree.

griftdrift November 27, 2012 at 11:51 am

There was this one time Ed came for a visit…

Ed November 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

AAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH!

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Wow grift, that was hilarious!!!!!!!!

Ed November 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Not.

Ed November 27, 2012 at 8:36 am

From the AP’s Facebook feed…

BREAKING: US orders for machinery and other investment goods rose in October by most in 5 months. -SS

Harry November 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

From Tyler Durden:
“While the just released Durable Goods orders report for October came in modestly better than expected (which many thought would be a decline due to Hurricane Sandy), the primary driver of this continues to be record durable good inventory accumulation. Excluding the noise, and focusing only on real, non-noisy economic strength metrics such as New Capital Goods Orders (technically defined as the year over year change in Non-Defense Capital Goods Excluding Aircraft), a very different and far uglier picture emerges. In fact, the October Y/Y Plunge of -8.1% in this major indicator was the biggest drop since 2009.”

Ed November 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

Also just in: consumer confidence at its highest point in four years.

Harry November 27, 2012 at 10:37 am

Why?

Ed November 27, 2012 at 10:43 am

Because people aren’t as inflexibly and uncritically partisan as you, who thinks that as long as Obama is in office things are just one nano-second away from dipping into an economic apocalypse, and they realize that while things aren’t great they are getting better.

Just a guess.

Harry November 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

Then there’s an issue of why bother to plan and save, spend if you can. I just don’t see any fundamentals in place that can lead to improved wealth and a higher long-term living standard, but maybe I’m wrong.

Lea Thrace November 27, 2012 at 11:50 am

And there you go proving Ed’s thoughts about you to be correct…

Harry November 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Let’s see if in 2016 we can say you are better off than 2006 when the Democrats took over Congress.

Jackster November 27, 2012 at 9:13 am

DISCLAIMER: I am not in any way knocking UGA at the moment. It’s a rare reprieve, but I think I need the brain to mouth filter on high for a bit.

From the link about UGA strategic plans (http://onlineathens.com/uga/2012-11-24/uga-plans-call-big-research-spending-money-uncertain):

“UGA’s budget has gone up nearly 50 percent anyway, up from $951 million in 2002 to $1.4 billion this year, mainly because student fees and tuition costs tripled between 2000 and now.”

Tripled. My thought is: Is this an outlier or is this the norm? Since the other schools have had their budgets cut, I would have though the tactic to make up the revenue shortfall would be the same.

There needs to be a scoring of both ROI (Actual Salaries of recent grads vs. total $ paid) and those who graduate in 4 years. I didn’t see any sort of reform, positioning, or competitive scoring as a part of their strategic vision. Shouldn’t this be something the USG or DoE uses to doll out budget dollars?

Stefan November 27, 2012 at 9:25 am

I saw that. That budget number is inflation adjusted, I would imagine, but I bet the fee and tuition number isn’t. If that assumption is correct, it would put UGa in line with the national trend for public colleges, whose tuition and fees have almost doubled in the last decade.

From the NYT citing the College Board: “In the last school year [2011-2012], tuition, fees, room and board averaged $38,589 at private colleges, up almost $15,000 from a decade earlier, according to the College Board. At public four-year colleges, the total bill came to $17,131, up more than $8,000.”

Harry November 27, 2012 at 11:10 am
Harry November 27, 2012 at 11:45 am
Harry November 27, 2012 at 11:49 am

Additional comments from Timothy Carney:
Buffett regularly lobbies for higher estate taxes. He also has repeatedly bought up family businesses forced to sell because the heirs’ death-tax bill exceeded the business’s liquid assets. He owns life insurance companies that rely on the death tax in order to sell their estate-planning businesses.
Buffett made about a billion dollars off of the Wall Street bailout by investing in Goldman Sachs on the assumption Uncle Sam would bail it out. He also is planning investments in ethanol giant ADM and government-contracting leviathan General Dynamics.

If your businesses’ revenue comes from the U.S. Treasury, of course you want more wealth.

Harry November 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Comments on this entry are closed.