Student Locator Programs

Since Charlie isn’t as strict on post topics over the weekend, I thought you might enjoy this Sunday read about a teenage girl facing suspension for refusing to wear RFID tag in school.

The school district in question started issuing the badges with embedded RFID chips at the start of this school year in September, as part of its $500,000 Student Locator project. School officials want to eventually expand the program to the district’s 112 schools with a projected student population of 100,000, in the hopes of receiving up to $1.7 million from the state government.

The badge, worn via a lanyard around the neck, identifies a student in three ways: it features their photo and name, a bar code associated with each student’s Social Security number, and the chip to monitor his or her movements on campus from the second they get there to the second they head home. The ID card is required to use the library or cafeteria, vote in school elections, attend certain school functions, purchase tickets to extracurricular activities, and Hernandez claims, in some cases to go to the bathroom.

Hernandez, the sophomore student, said:

“I feel it’s an invasion of my religious beliefs,” she told Infowars. “I feel it’s the implementation of the Mark of the Beast. It’s also an invasion of my privacy and my other rights.”

I would probably chalk a good bit of her anger up to teenage rebellion and not wanting “The Man” to know her whereabouts, but seriously – a mandatory human GPS is just too far.

Our Cobb County School Superintendent Dr. Hinojosa came to us directly from the Dallas ISD of Texas.  I have no idea if he’s even considering bringing this idea over from NISD (San Antonio), but I’d like to voice my opinion in advance that I don’t want my kid tagged like cattle.

1. Raleigh says:

Well now, I remember a former Senator being excoriated for introducing a bill about something similar to this in Georgia. My my it seems it was not as farfetched as many made it out to be. Now just where is former Sen. Pearson’s tin foil hat.

• SmyrnaSAHM says:

Wearing a tag around your neck is entirely different from the location in her body that the nice lady who testified at the hearing attested her chip was implanted. (Tragically, I am afraid I will never, ever unhear that testimony.)

• Raleigh says:

I have no knowledge about this woman’s testimony you speak of but I did read an article on this student and one on another school system trying to do the same thing.

So help me out here, you are saying it is not a violation of one’s civil liberties to be forced to wear a RFID tag against your will unless it is implanted in one’s body. Is that right?

• Raleigh says:

Yes you can destroy an RFID chip in a Microwave oven but last time I checked the intentional destruction of government property was considered a crime maybe even a felony in most jurisdictions.

2. Daddy Got A Gun says:

What is it with education bureaucrats that they think the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and presumption of innocence doesn’t limit their actions whether its cattle tagging our kids or denying them the basic human right of self defense.

These edu-crats are treating our children like Saudi women. See this story titled: Saudi Arabia implements electronic tracking system for women

3. George Dickel says:

“Our Cobb County School Superintendent Dr. Hinojosa came to us directly from the Dallas ISD of Texas. I have no idea if he’s even considering bringing this idea over from NISD (San Antonio), but I’d like to voice my opinion in advance that I don’t want my kid tagged like cattle.”

That’s the equivalent of a school district hiring someone from Cobb County and a parent being concerned about them implementing Dougherty County policies.

• SmyrnaSAHM says:

That’s almost exactly what I thought. Thankfully, I don’t think Texas is contagious. There are some huge school systems in Texas (full disclosure: I’m a product of one near Houston), but worrying that Hinojosa will implement something from San Antonio is a bit of a stretch.

4. saltycracker says:

It seems like overkill but the school system put ID’s while on campus in place for some reason and maybe that reason needs understanding. Reports talk about it being a magnet school project with attendance funding being an issue. In this case the student was told they’d remove the tracking device but she had to wear the ID to be eligible for privileges. She refused.

Tracking and funding masses of kids with broader movement allowances, plus being responsible to see they are being properly educated is complicated. Doing it and passing out funds requires some tight oversight.

Posting opinions on selective info is just entertainment with unintended consequences.

• Angela Palm says:

Yes, the letter accompanying the news article said she is attending a magnet program. She is not being suspended from a district school. The letter said she would have to go back to her home school if she would not comply with the rules of the magnet program — and one of those rules apparently is wearing the ID card.

The student locator program is a pilot project in 2 of the 112 schools in the district. It is a one year program after which they will evaluate it and decide on further implementation according to the website on the program. The 2 schools were selected because they had the lowest attendance rates in the district. I don’t understand how this ID card in and of itself is supposed to improve the attendance rate unless they were doing a poor job of taking it.

5. The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Looks like George Orwell’s “1984” is finally coming to life and only about nearly 30 years too late.

Another in a series of steps towards that dystopian future that the powers-that-be have wanted to move us towards for quite some time, it’s just that now the technology is finally in place for “Big Brother” and the gang to finally do so to their complete voyeuristic satisfaction.

One World Order, Agenda 21, tracking microchips in government-issued IDs….Yet another reason why they should never be allowed to take our guns.

We’ll go “Mad Max” before we let Big Brother’s vision of “1984” become fully realized.

• Lea Thrace says:

That’s the leap you make? The boxes are not addressing the issues that cause abandonment. And you take that to mean the UN wants more abortions?

You are not this deranged. I refuse to believe it.

• Bob Loblaw says:

Believe it. Anything having to do with a woman, a baby, adoption, birth control etc. elicits this kind of twitch in these people. Just move on and shake your head. You’ll never understand.

• Harry says:

If a mother can’t have a no-questions, nonjudgmental possibility to give up her baby in a manner that will insure its safety and placement in the hands of a loving family, wouldn’t the removal of that option result in the increased likelihood of abortion? If you don’t think that would be the case then I don’t follow your thinking.

6. Spacey G says:

I’m implementing a chip-based monitoring program on all writers who use acronyms and abbreviations without defining the terms of such. And then rounding ’em all up and sending them off to work on the farm, any will do, until they’re properly re-educated.

7. Charlie says:

OK, I’ve read this a couple of times and aside from general paranoia I don’t see what the problem is here.

Students aren’t being chipped. They’re wearing ID tags. Many of us have had the experience if we’ve worked in secure locations or for corporations who have secure facilities. I would think a school should be on equal footing as a secure facility.

I don’t think the students are required to wear these other than on school grounds, and I doubt the technology in question would be any good even if they did.

So what am I missing that makes this a problem, that a school can require a student to have proper ID on them while inside that school’s facility?

• saltycracker says:

Plus it does get interesting when the same folks that freak over the ID would hold the system financially responsible when the attendance funding gets screwed up (anyone for vocal/paper attendance checks intra-districts ?), when the schools don’t give them the grades/specialized training expected and when the kid is where they shouldn’t be and something goes horribly wrong.

Parents may get a lot more information on their kids BS to blame the schools about.

• Raleigh says:

You’re thinking that RFID tags are similar to a work ID Badges They are not. I work at a facility with secure areas. And I do wear a badge to allow or deny access to those areas. RFID tags can be read driving down the road (Peach pass) or walking down the street at a considerable distance. Anyway we shouldn’t worry no one would ever abuse those or onboard cameras on school issued computers would they.

• Charlie says:

I’m very familiar with RFID badges. Your attempt to obfuscate the issue by throwing in cameras in school issued laptops that were activated off campus brings me back to my question. These are badges worn on the person, not chipped in anyone. They only track the student when on school property. So again I ask in hope of an acutal answer without paranoia or obfuscation, what exactly is the problem here?

• Raleigh says:

You’re accusing me of attempting to confuse the issue while you equating RFID badges to a simple picture ID’s. Those are not the same. If you looking for my personal answer on the subject it is simply this, I don’t trust the government. There are many examples why and not just laptop cameras either. You yourself have also provided many examples as well here on this blog.

• Charlie says:

How is an RFID badge any different than a picture ID if only worn when on school grounds? Except for your personal answer of “I don’t trust the government”, which goes to my point of paranoia.

Paranoia isn’t going to win policy debates. If Republicans can’t articulate actual objections and instead just scream “Agenda 21!” or “mind control!” or whatever is the nuttery of the day, then we will always allow ourselves to be painted as crazy.

So, to be clear, there is no difference between wearing an RFID badge or a picture ID if it is only on school property, right?

And why do you trust the government to take your photo ID anyway? You know what they can do with those photos, right?

• ryanhawk says:

I don’t get it either. If you drop your kid off at a public school, don’t you expect the school to at least keep up with them and make sure they don’t wander off? RFID tags seem like a useful device to help with that task….

• Raleigh says:

Charlie you said you knew what an RFID was but here is the difference. I can put my picture ID in my pocket and it cannot be read by any scanner an RFID circuit can and it can be read at a considerable distance. RFID’s are not pictures they are electronic devices. It’s the same reason I refuse to carry a credit card with a “Chip” in it so I don’t have to carry an Aluminum wallet to keep those type cards away from thieves. That’s not hysteria it’s fact and RFID’s can be read at a much greater distance. Sure you can give a kid something to store the device in but will a teenager listen? Why not just take them up at the end of the day but you can’t even get a school system to administer doctor prescribed medicine. It will not work.

RFID were originally designed for commerce tracking not student tracking.

Paranoia, maybe but in this case it may be healthy. You may not think so but I would say ask some of the people involuntary involvement in project MKULTRA which ended in 1972. They might beg to differ and no they are not crazy. They were proven right after being called crazy by our own government. Do you think they trust the Government?

• Charlie says:

I’ve said 3 times now I’m well aware of what an RFID card is, and what it can do. If I must say it for you, it’s radio frequency identification. Look, here’s a wiki page I haven’t read but I’ll presume it’s close to also describing it, just so you quit trying to pretend I don’t know what a freaking RFID is:

Now please explain to me how the school knowing where your child is during the day while snowflake is on their property is any different from snowflake wearing a photo ID around their neck on a lanyard?

Exactly why do you believe the student has the right to privacy of their location while they are on school grounds?

Thus far, your paranoia looks anything but healthy. And I have no desire to go down Agenda 21 type rat holes with you, so until you can tell me why a school shouldn’t be able to keep track of kids while they are on school property, we’re not going to discuss any weird ass projects from 40 years ago.

• Raleigh says:

We can play what it is all night but here is a good layman’s over view from Microsoft.

Now the interesting part in the overview is this concerning,

Sources of Leakage
                  Within the supply chain, there are opportunities for data leakage……….
                  This goes on to outline tags that remain active outside the supply chain and the danger associated with it.

You claim to know what this technology is about and you claim it is no different than a picture ID. It is as you say about “Knowing where Snowflake is but it is about others who don’t have a need to know what’s on Snowflakes ID tag. Once again a Picture ID doesn’t transmit Snowflake’s ID information so anyone can read it.

Now as I said I work in an industry that has secure labs we and our customers do not use RFID for employee ID’s or employee access.

It is called Data security Charlie. Companies are very concerned about it but governments simply use it for confetti to dump on parades.

I guess unless you can get passed the, it’s the same as a picture ID, argument and I have proven it is not. I guess were done. Oh BTW ask a smuggler how easy it is to clone a RFID tag. That’s a pleasant thought for our very secure schools isn’t it? Your trying to use a sledge hammer to open a beer bottle. This is a bad application of the technology period.

• Charlie says:

Reading for comprehension isn’t your strong suit. My day job is in the IT field. I very much understand RFID. I very much know the difference between an RFID chip/card and a photo ID. The fact that you can’t get past this point makes me move past your paranoia and on to your intelligence.

I’m also aware of data security issues. Again, day job and all.

So let’s just say the MKULTRA hack this system. You’re really more concerned about the uber low probability that someone does this and the limited info they could obtain (like how often your kid hits the toilet in a day) versus the school knowing where the kids are, if they’re in the right place, or if they’ve strayed off campus?

I’m willing to keep playing. The paranoid have controlled the “debate” in this party for too long. I’m not willing to become a Democrat just to disassociate myself from people that try to invoke Agenda 21 arguments because they’re afraid of “government”, “technology” or whatever strikes at their base fears.

And you still haven’t demonstrated any actual problem with why this is bad. Take it to your worst actual scenario and explain it. Otherwise, we’re done here.

• Raleigh says:

Good Grief you can’t get passed Agenda 21. Agenda 21 is being brought to you by the same people who gave use the present Middle East situation. And you don’t have a clue what the Delphi technique is or who even came up with it. Here is a clue for you a variation of it has been used in many debates for local elections across the state. At least you’re in good company neither did that Alex Jones Nut case who spoke at the capital.

But because He didn’t like Agenda 21 doesn’t mean it is now a good plan, it’s not.

God Charlie your party lost and now you’re on a witch hunt. Figures. I’m not a Republican but my advice is stop, do nothing, and listen for a few months. Listen and learn for once. That’s the Republican problem you don’t listen. If all you can do is hurl insults because someone disagrees with you maybe what you and your Republican brothers should do is go ahead and self-destruct and get it out of the way.

BTW Being in IT doesn’t make you an engineer or scientist or have any clue about the RFID subject. As far as I know all you do is set up Microsoft outlook accounts. It seems you have proved that much tonight at least.

• Charlie says:

I’m not on a witch hunt. In fact, I already found her. I posted a pic with me and Christine O’Donnell from Tampa a while back. Seeing her up close, I think she’ll float.

You still can’t articulate why you’re opposed to this policy. That’s what a blog is for. You’ve stated paranoia and various other non-sequiturs. You still can’t say WHY this is bad. I refuse to accept paranoia as a basis for policy. You’re OK with it. You’ve provided me no value to the debate, but to waste a few hours. Congrats. I’m done.

8. Dave Bearse says:

The school may have a problem with students leaving for lunch when that’s not permitted, skipping classes or other types of truancy.

Conspiracy theorists can purchase an RFID shield and have their kids keep the card in the shield when away from school. Or as tin foil hat wearers have long known, tin foil very much attenuates if not incapcitates RFID.

• Raleigh says:

Yea Dave it’s called an alumni wallet and you can buy one for 2 bucks. Now the trick will be getting you teenager to put his ID in it while off campus. The other trick is getting them to take it out while they are at school. Now I wonder how many of these things will be left hanging in inconspicuous places while the owner skip class to run to the store. Once they figure out tin foil works just as good your RFID program will become another in a long list of wasted taxpayer money projects. The real obvious thing is getting people to administer another program like this from the people that can’t keep up with the programs they have. So what do you do, issue it to them when they walk in, attach it so they can’t pull it off then take it up every evening? Good luck with that.

9. From the link in the article:

“There is no information stored on any WGA “smart” ID except its serial number. WGA’s system does not store nor transmit student information or any confidential data on the card, therefore, it is not necessary to encrypt it on the card nor during transmission. The only data stored or transmitted through RFID is the tag’s serial number. This tag serial number is not encrypted. There is no correlation between a “smart” serial number and a student’s school I.D. number. The cards are randomly assigned a serial number during the manufacturing process and are numerically sequential with no uniqueness as to school, location, grade or school district. WGA’s “smart” ID card contains no education records of students. WGA’s system contains no education records of students. All student records are maintained by the school or school district on their internal computers and servers. WGA’s “smart” ID card does not facilitate access or grant access to any student records as those records are maintained and accessed only through the school or school district’s computers and servers.”