Morning Reads: Post-Thanksgiving Coma Edition

November 23, 2012 9:00 am

by Ed · 20 comments

If you are reading this you are either

A) Waiting in cantankerous lines of such length that any savings on your consumer goods are outweighed by the cost of your time or
2)At work because you’re tired of your family.

Just polished off my first leftover-turkey sandwich. The good news is that the one time of year we are expected to act like we enjoy the tasteless bird is passed.

Now, after that ball of sunshine, a moment of seriousness if I may. I’m thankful for my family. I know its a cop out but I honestly don’t know how I would have turned out without the guidance I received (really I don’t want to think about how I would have turned out). As someone with no brains or talent, I’m thankful for continued employment. And as stupid as this may sound I really enjoy being part of Peach Pundit (other than dealing with Icarus, of course. And Buzz.) Thanks to you guys for reading my drivel.

Georgia.

The Last Blue Dog? Daily Beast looks at John Barrow with yet another profile of how he’s the last rural white Democrat. Stop me if you’ve read that story about 63 times since the election. When you keep getting somewhat-fawning coverage being the last RWDem its one more reason to not switch parties. I mean, if you’re one of 435 and not in leadership, how else can you keep yourself in the news?

Your Black Friday guide from The AJC.  Retailers expecting a 3.5% increase in sales from 2011.

Gonna be hellaciously cold for the weekend, just to warm up for Monday, yay.

If you’ve still got some grease in your kitchen, don’t pour it down the drain. You can schedule home pickup for it.

Yeah, some Christmas tree was lit at Lenox Mall last night.

I want to commend WXIA for what can be considered nothing less than stellar graphics. Just look at the work in the following stories…

Yet another example of government projects never finishing on time or on budget–j/k. I-575 interchange opening early and on budget.

Atlanta unemployment drops .1% to 8.2% in October, that’s 1.2% lower than 2011. Good to hear.

World

Uh, hello? Rest of the world? There shouldn’t be any news today because Thanksgiving is basically a four-day weekend in the U.S. and we’re the best country in the world. Just…at least try to follow my command next year.

Ceasefire in Israel now on very shaky grounds.

Argentina has to pay back U.S. hedge funds to the tune of $1.3 billion, raises risk of default.

Cyprus getting a $22.6 billion bailout (not a surprise, they are basically Greece…am I right, Turkey?).

You remove a dictator in Egypt, you get… a dude who is basically going to be a dictator.

That’s enough seriousness for today…

My pick in the UGA/GT  game (Hint: I’m a Catholic and I believe in miracles…), not-so-bold predictions and other football-related miscellanea after the fold.

Good lord, the Jets, what a mess. Now they did go against the greatest professional football team ever but man, a 22.5 Total QBR for Sanchez, three TDs in was it 52 seconds? And the attention whore of a coach Rex Ryan. What a cluster. Any win for the Patriots is a great accomplishment for America.

UGA/GT… As I said, I believe in miracles. On top of that, GT is on a high, backing into the ACC “Championship”, Dawgs looking ahead, Paul Johnson coaching for his life, second week of facing a triple option for UGA, its time for the once-in-a-decade victory for the NATS, its all there for a GT upset. Which I’d choose if they were playing at Tech and had half the stadium on their side. But they aren’t. No miracles in Athens on Saturday, UGA annihilates the Jackets.

FSU/UF. Florida hasn’t been impressive, really all season but less so since the UGA game. At home for FSU. Their defense is best in the country. Driskel is “healed” but I don’t buy it, he was in a walking boot earlier this week. You look at the matchups and they are close but FSU has the edge, especially at the defensive/offensive tackles (Bjoern Werner is a future-NFLer, the Florida offensive line is not going to be able to handle them). EJ Manuel has really come into his own, his reads are becoming fantastic, he can do so much to move the ball. ‘Noles are one quarter of bad playcalling, not bad play away from a national championship… It will be a good game, but I’m going to go so far as to say don’t be surprise if FSU blows out the Gators.

ND/USC Who would have predicted this in August (side note–I did point out the Trojans’ lack of depth and could have seen them being un-ranked)? Without Barkley USC has no shot. The only way the could beat the Irish is by getting the ball to the outside where they are very speedy. Notre Dame is not that good this year, though. They will get crushed in the championship.

‘Bama wins. They’re the best team in the country. Three games, neutral site, my (never-to-be conceived) kids’ (never-to-be created) college fund on the line, I choose ‘Bama over every team.

What I want to happen… numbers 2-9 lose (Bama and UGA twice) so that FSU goes to the NC, beats ND.

xdog November 23, 2012 at 9:06 am

Georgia wins out, UF beats FSU, USC beats ND. That makes the MNC game a rematch between Dawgs and Gators. They may as well move the game to Jacksonville.

Charlie November 23, 2012 at 9:18 am

I have a feeling the other conferences would explode if there was another SEC rematch for the title game (something I opposed last year, has nothing to do with my hatred for UF or lack of desire to play them again). My guess is if USC loses to ND, Oregon gets into the NC game regardless of winner of SEC game.

peachstealth November 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

The proper way to determine a champion is with playoffs. This is the bracket for the FCS championship.

The FBS should take note

Ed November 23, 2012 at 9:25 am

BTW: Anyone (other than me) know what industry is spending the most on lobbying?

Education.

Ron Daniels November 23, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ron Daniels has now been exposed to larger media markets than Dublin. I’m looking at you Charlie.

Ed November 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

#goodjob #fun

Mike Stucka November 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

You can’t trust that.

Ed November 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

You know what I wish I had?

An outlet where I could share sundry and assorted news items and links.

It appears Georgia will not be alone.

“One-Party Control Opens States to Partisan Rush”

Come January, more than two-thirds of the states will be under single-party control, raising the prospect that bold partisan agendas — on both ends of the political spectrum — will flourish over the next couple of years.

View from Brookhaven November 23, 2012 at 9:30 am

Bought one item off Amazon last night. I’ll wait for Monday to see if there’s anything else worth purchasing. Not going near the stores. Even grocery shopping in December irritates me.

saltycracker November 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Will Rogers
one of the greatest political sages this country has ever known.
Read on :

Never squat with your spurs on and:

1. Never slap a man who’s chewing tobacco.

2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.

3. There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.

4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

5. Always drink upstream from the herd.

6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back into your pocket.

8. There are three kinds of men:
The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.

9. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

10. If you’re riding’ ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it’s still there.

11. Lettin’ the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier’n puttin’ it back.

12. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring.
He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.
The moral: When you’re full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

ABOUT GROWING OLDER…

First ~Eventually you will reach a point when you stop lying about your age and start bragging about it.

Second ~ The older we get, the fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.

Third ~ Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know ‘why’ I look this way.
I’ve traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren’t paved.

Fourth ~ When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to youth, think of Algebra.

Fifth ~ You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks.

Sixth ~ I don’t know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.

Seventh ~ One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it’s such a nice change from being young.

Eighth ~ One must wait until evening to see how splendid the day has been.

Ninth ~ Being young is beautiful, but being old is comfortable.

Tenth ~ Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks, it was called witchcraft.
Today it’s called golf.

And, finally ~ If you don’t learn to laugh at trouble, you won’t have anything to laugh at when you’re old.

AMB November 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

A solicitor from Newt Gingrich’s office (???) called today asking for money. He just doesn’t give up, does he?

Ed November 23, 2012 at 11:19 am

Why would he? He probably still has campaign debt to repay.

Harry November 23, 2012 at 1:21 pm

He could make a dent in it by selling his VA McMansion.

Mike Stucka November 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

As of 9/30:
III. CASH SUMMARY
Beginning Cash On Hand $0
Ending Cash On Hand $34,000
Net Contributions $23,265,003
Net Operating Expenditures $23,582,987
Debts/Loans Owed By $4,914,408
Debts/Loans Owed To $0

seekingtounderstand November 23, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Buddisim….claims we are responsible for our own suffering and its up to us to create the release from pain.
Current Ga Tech fan/republican switching to Georgia Fan/Democrat………….football heaven and liberal utopia.

seekingtounderstand November 23, 2012 at 3:00 pm

ED: Have you ever tried a turkey (injected with cajun spices) cooked in a green egg cooker for 12 hours (overnight) on walnut chips? The meat is so tender it slices like butter.

Charlie November 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

Red & Black Saturday: 31-17

AMB November 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Looking ugly as a bulldawg butt for tech.

saltycracker November 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Meanwhile its business as usual at the too big to fail JP Morgan Chase –

Recall their involvement in Enron (over $4 billion in fines) , Worldcom ($2 billlion), Jefferson Co.,Ala. (o.72 billion) and sticking it to clients around the world and the military all settled with a net gain of many billions.

Jamie Dimon has Obama’s ear and now they are at it again costing state pension funds and others $6.2 billion. They’ll settle for a billion or so and move on supported by the full faith and credit of the U.S.

Harry November 25, 2012 at 9:20 pm

At least they’re onto that particular scam. In the wake of Enron, Madoff, Liborgate, Corzine, Barings Bank, Parmalat, Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae, not to mention payouts to solar companies and Argentina and Greece…you wonder how the investment funds and central banks can keep ginning up enough money to cover it.

Comments on this entry are closed.