Morning Reads for Tuesday, November 12th, 2012

• Post-Jobs, it’s all downhill for Apple (Guardian)
  • With rape allegations and identity, town & gown grapple (CNNPodcast)
  • Nate Silver ranks the pollsters, and Rasmussen he does not coddle (NYTimes-538)
  • gallup’s numbers were poor, likely culprit is their predicted voter model (BusinessInsider)
  • the $20 tablet that will change the world’s conversation (QZ)
  • Fixing the Red Cross impossible without self-evaluation (Reuters)
  • On electoral college, Posner’s five reasons to hold firm (Slate)
  • But Jan Brewer disagrees, and, BTW, wants a third term (WaPo,Politico)
  •  5 house races up in the air / Allen West will not concede (Politico)
  • A carbon tax wouldn’t violate his pledge, Grover Norquist has decreed (NationalJournal)
  • Dekalb School Board ordered employees terminated two years ago,
  • but surprise, surprise, most are still employed, how is that so? (AJC)
  • Lawmakers given tickets to events at the Dome,
  • AJC thinks at the mouth you should foam, (AJC)
  • Georgia Senate’s Agenda 21 briefing somehow both boring and crazy,
  • Video could use some editing too, paging Scorsese! (AJC-Galloway)
  • The other GSU has a new athletic director,
  • here’s hoping they can return to being a national title collector (SavannahMorningNews)
  • Savannah area vote map breaks down how incumbent DA was sent packing (SavannahMorningNews)
  • And new Cobb clerk and old Cobb clerk won’t stop attacking (MariettaDailyJournal)
  • Georgia Power says its monopoly extends to the Sun (SavannahMorningNews)
  • Monroe/Bibb border line war continues, but soon an end to the fun? (MaconTelegraph)
  • The Johnny Cash of barbeque down in Unadilla (MaconTelegraph)
  • Tom Price rejects Boehner, is a potential compromise killa (Buzzfeed)
follow me on the twitters: @StefanTurk

• Stefan says:

So the base yearly salary of the highest paid bus driver in the system was only 39k? I am kind of shocked it is so low.

Looks like he is working almost exactly 80 hours a week, they should probably hire another driver.

Except one of the main complaints about MARTA is that their benefits are too high, not their salary, so maybe this is the right decision.

• saltycracker says:

2,080 hrs. is a work year with vacation & sick days.
        4,269 hours of overtime ?

Shouldn’t be a problem sleeping in those empty buses running around.
        A struggling attorney should be paying attention – there are millions to be made.
        The overtime is gross, negligent and maybe fraudulent mismanagment.
        Making light of it is irresponsible.

• saltycracker says:

Yes, I did miscalculate the time spread and must tone down the intensity of my response.
            I’ll run with your 80 hr week number and my remarks on fatigue and bad management.

1. John Konop says:

Price verse Boehner reflect the internal conflict the GOP is dealing with especially with Jerry mandering. The truth is Price reflects the views of his district. Boehner reflects what the GOP needs to move toward not to become a regional party. This conflict will have a major impact on the future of the GOP. Both Price and Boehner are in a difficult situation with any compromise. And more members of the House live in districts like Price.

Btw this also effects Saxby with Price reflecting the majority of Georgia wanting no compromise. And if Saxby votes for a compromise on budget, immigration…….Price may run against him and could win. And if Price backs off, his district will not be happy, as many other districts across the country. Price has no upside working on any deals………

• Stefan says:

I wouldn’t say for certain that the majority of Georgia do not want to avoid the fiscal cliff by compromise. It may be closer to true to say the majority of republican primary voters do not wish to compromise.

Regarding Price and Saxby, I have also heard rumors of Paul Broun potentially challenging Saxby.

• John Konop says:

…… I wouldn’t say for certain that the majority of Georgia do not want to avoid the fiscal cliff by compromise. It may be closer to true to say the majority of republican primary voters do not wish to compromise….

You may be right. But if Price wins the primary, he will win the general, especially in a mid-term election, so effectively the no compromise view wins. This is the conundrum the GOP faces across the country. The overwhelming amount of districts voters do not want compromise on the GOP side. Erick Erickson made it clear on his show any compromise on healthcare…..they will declare war at Red State. I would bet Rush……have the same view.

• Three Jack says:

Newt pretty much got it right this morning on the Joe Show. The GOP should do what it has to do during sequestration negotiations, then take a step back for 6 months and figure out how to move forward toward 2014/2016.

I believe a vast majority of ficons would readily support a package of across the board cuts and tax system reform whereby more are brought into the income tax system offset by lowering rates and removing most deductions. But the cuts must be ironclad so that both parties are forced to adhere to them…we know what happens otherwise.

• Stefan says:

Did you see the link above about the Carbon Tax? If you offset the Carbon Tax with renewal of some income tax cuts…

You still will have to do something about DoD spending, but it looks like there might be some bandwidth savings now that a couple Generals have been removed from the internet.

• John Konop says:

Did you this? I do think they would go for anything that raises taxes even by eliminating deductions……..I agree a compromise will happen, but you will not see Price…….voting and or supporting it.

John Boehner has been willing to throw his conference under the bus repeatedly. We know from the Bob Woodward book that he was willing to raise taxes. We know he cut a deal with Barack Obama without consulting the rest of his conference. We know it blew up in his face…………..

• Three Jack says:

No John, didn’t see that…not much of a follower.

Ryan as SOTH, I got no problem with that. Boehner has been nothing short of a disaster. If he agreed to simply raise tax rates sans reform, then he should be replaced. There is a big difference between raising taxes and raising revenues. The latter can be done without raising tax rates.

2. Rick Day says:

Myron Mixon….whoo boy I could wax eloquent for hours about that man.

I too have cooked the BBQ contest circuit. Myron started in ’96. I already had my first catering business by then, having won a table full of plastic and ribbon myself.

I pack, set up, cook, serve to the judges 4 categories, served 30 minutes apart, pack up and go home all by myself. Been doing it that way since 1995, One back to pack/one ass to kick.

I had to giggle at his description of ‘simple approach’: Myron has a fancy $20,000 rig. He has 7-8 cronies team mates who come in and do the grunt work (which is 90% of the contest). Google ‘cupcake chicken’ and talk to me about simple approaches, LOL. He may or may not be involved in anything but sippin’ whiskey and supervisin’. Again, no arguing with success but his main contribution these days is posing for photos.

Me? After becoming a head cook in 1990, I had to retire in 2002 due to health reasons. Now that the chemo is working it’s way through the system, I find myself drawn back to the contest. I cook on 55 gallon barrels. I’ve competed with W’ham Turbo pellet cookers, Backwoods Smokers™, Langs™. Nothing beats the ease of setting up and smoking some BBQ on a Ugly Drum Smoker™.

I’ll be up in Cumming this weekend, competing in the National BBQ Cup on 3 barrels, under the Team name of “Q”. I’m not sure if Jack’s Old South will be there. According to the email out, I did not see their name. It used to tick me off to see them pull in, ESPECIALLY a ‘small contest’ that Myron would win in his sleep (low level competitions should be beneath BBQ gods such as JOS). Not anymore. I can beat that man, head to head, one on one.

Figureheads don’t cook. They talk.

• Rick Day says:

Um…well…you see, I’ve actually judged Myron’s BBQ, as well as hundred’s of other entries. Judging makes on a better cook.

Alas, I am damaged beyond even thinking about commercial ‘que in my pie hole. Example: the best thing Fox Bros. produces is their ‘chicken fried steak’ at Big Tex™.

Yes, I am an Official BBQ Snob™. I will check this bone lick establishment upon your recommendation.

• D_in_ATL says:

Will have to give that chicken fried steak a shot. Not being a BBQ god myself I would only defend Fox Bros. in that they definately know how to SELL their tasty fare; the place is mobbed from the time they open til they close up for the night. I drive a bit further down the road to Daddy D’z…when they do have ribs they are oh so delicious :)

3. LauraGraceB says:

Thanks for the link to the CNN Missoula story. I found it chilling to hear the DA give his interpretation of rape.

Also, I was kind of knocked out (in a bad way) by the article on the Red Cross. I’d been seeing things about Occupy Sandy, and I thought it was terrific, but I didn’t realize how much the Red Cross was (apparently) MIA.
    I suspect it’s wishful thinking that volunteers in this country won’t get more experience responding to large-scale, climate related disasters.

4. SallyForth says:

Calling Calypso, calling Calypso! Has anybody heard from him since the election? Depression can only last so long before reality forces itself on us – come on back good buddy.