Bittersweet Election Day

November 7, 2012 9:00 am

by Buzz Brockway · 34 comments

From where I stand some bad things and some good things happened last night.

First the bad: I’m obviously disappointed with the outcome of the Presidential Election. Finger pointing on the Right has already begun and I’m sure the 2016 campaign will start before we finish carving our turkeys in a few weeks. Smarter political minds than mine will dissect yesterdays results ad nauseam but I have no interest in that. President Obama won and I hope he and the Congress very quickly pivot from campaign mode to governing mode. The nation faces very serious problems that, as Charlie points out, need to be addressed quickly.

The so-called fiscal cliff Washington is headed toward could have serious implications for Georgia. We have a large number of military installations in our State and should the Pentagon bear its share of half a trillion in cuts Georgia will be impacted. Other cuts mandated by sequestration could impact Georgia’s budget as well. Yes serious cuts to the Federal budget need to be made but I fear the gridlock in DC means no serious reforms will be made only more unfunded mandates pushed down to the States. The end of various temporary tax cuts and the implementation of new taxes related to Obamacare are also of concern. I have little hope these problems will be addressed adequately. Perhaps after a few good nights of sleep my optimism will return.

Now for the good: I’m very pleased the charter school amendment passed with solid support. I’ve written more on that topic than I care to think about but suffice it to say I remain convinced this is a positive step forward for our State. I’m glad most Georgians agreed with me on amendment 1.

We can examine results in particular races as we move forward but last night remains for me a bittersweet election day.

Max Power November 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

Buzz and I agree. Amendment 1 was huge and a big victory for Georgia’s kids. I’m sure we would disagree about nearly everything else that happened in local elections.

Scott65 November 7, 2012 at 11:18 am

Time will tell on Amendment 1. It will either prove supporters were correct and improve education, or it will prove opponents right and will be used as a state power grab. As for the rest of it…I’d say the national republican party just got a taste of what happens on the national level when you let the wingnuts dictate the party dogma…they let you know they dont much care for it

Three Jack November 7, 2012 at 11:32 am

Michelle, Herman, Rick, Todd, Charles, Reince, Isaac, Sandy, Jose and Sandra — GOP loses.

When a party puts forth so many wackjob candidates as the GOP did this time around, then has a disasterous convention, this is what happens…you lose. Add a couple of timely tropical storms, ignorance of latino issues and old white men discussing birth control/rape, you have a landslide loss!

Everybody is saying the GOP needs to re-brand itself as if that is possible. When a party on so many electable levels forces its candidates to swear an oath to be pro-life, anti-gay and anti-immigrant, that party needs far more than re-branding…it needs total overhaul. Who is in a position to lead such a herculean effort?

caroline November 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

What is going to have to happen is candidates who have to swear to that oath are going to have to continue to lose until it finally sinks in as to what is going on with the rest of the population.

John Konop November 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I agree, the first hurdle is the base agreeing they have a problem. The base will not change for a while via jerry mandering of districts. If a candidate did not support “person hood”, anti-gay…… in our district they could not win. You have the base spewing into an echo chamber. I do think John Huntsmen, Chris Christie……would be the right direction, but they will not fly in the south with the base.

jiminga November 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

We can only hope that in 2016 the GOP fields a candidate full of fire and brimstone instead of pablum. One who will actually attack his opponent’s total record instead of having a narrow focus on only a few topics. For example, Romney always couched Obamacare as a healthcare and insurance issue while completely ignoring the huge tax increases within the law. And he never really went after Obama on Benghazi, even after much of the truth is now public. He needed to do what the media didn’t.

Oh well…maybe next time…….

View from Brookhaven November 7, 2012 at 12:02 pm

So is somebody going to work on that healthcare exchange or no?

AMB November 7, 2012 at 12:46 pm

This is my last hint for the GOP from the winning Dem side:

You need a leader who will tell Ann Coulter and her ilk to sit down and shut up, you hateful beyotchs. You need a leader who will tell Rupert Murdoch/FoxNews/Bill O’Reilly to go pound sand. You need a leader who will tell the Catholic bishops to clean up their own houses of pedophilia before they meddle in politics again. You need a leader who actually listens to women’s concerns and doesn’t trot out the flavor of the month at conventions like a prized pony. And, finally, you might look in your own heart and mind and see if you need to move more to the caring, compassionate side of politics.

People pay big bucks for winning advice. This was gratis.

Three Jack November 8, 2012 at 11:56 am

AMB,

And barely worth gratis.

“You need a leader who will tell Ann Coulter and her ilk to sit down and shut up” – but on the left, it is OK for all the Hollywood wackos to say/do whatever they want…both sides have idiots making big $$$ off the fringe.

“You need a leader who will tell Rupert Murdoch/FoxNews/Bill O’Reilly to go pound sand” — but on the left, MSNBC is doing bang up journalistic work…come on man!

“And, finally, you might look in your own heart and mind and see if you need to move more to the caring, compassionate side of politics.” — Yea, because everybody knows redistributing money through the government to help the impoverished is ‘caring and compassionate’.

Thanks for the advice from the left…I think the GOP would be better served by asking those of us who left the party why we did so.

seenbetrdayz November 8, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Yes. But the GOP is still in severe denial that they are shrinking, so let’s not hold our breath.

Charlie November 8, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Because nothing says “war on women” like calling out a lady who doesn’t seem to know her place and calling her a “beyotch”.

AMB November 8, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Coulter is no lady. Her place is on the rubbish heap. Calling her as hse made herself.

And don’t pull that gimme crap on me, Charlie. You are better than that.

Rick Day November 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m sure the private sector will find a way to absorb all these taxpayer supported socialist entitlement programs.

Buzz, you should make peace with the concept we are at peace. Technology has eliminated the need for multi-billion plane and tank programs when we have drones.

Preserving a job merely for the sake of a job is not a sound business fundamental.

SallyForth November 7, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Buzz, bittersweet is correct. A good guy, Romney took all the hate and vitriol thrown at him 24/7 on TV and radio in the battleground states by the other side – yet still is expected to end up with 49% or a little above whenever final vote counts are finished. Another good guy, Obama’s tears running down his cheeks on his last campaign stop were real and heartfelt complex emotions as a sitting president.

The two candidates personified the old Dave Mason song, “There ain’t no good guy, there ain’t no bad guy – there’s only you and me, and we just disagree.” They offered two totally different views from which to choose. What is truly bittersweet to me is that the election was so close and shows that our country is still SO divided at such a difficult time in our history. It would have been better for either one or the other to have won by a landslide – at least that would have given a clear direction forward to confront our nation’s current problems.

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

“Another good guy, Obama’s tears running down his cheeks on his last campaign stop were real and heartfelt complex emotions as a sitting president.”

Sally, Sally, Sally, you’re such a nice, thoughful and kindhearted person….But, admittedly, I’m NOT so nice and kindhearted and I see no need to mince words or bite my tongue.

I can think of a lot of things that Obama is, but a “good guy” is NOT one of those things.

Barack Hussein Obama IS the DEVIL INCARNATE and last night an increasingly worthless Republican Party proved that they could not beat the devil at his own game.

The GOP just simply cannot get the job done, either here in Georgia or at the national level.

Of what use is the Republican party if they cannot defeat the epitome of anti-American political and ideological evil?

This election was a gimme and they screwed it up, plain and simple!

sunkawakan November 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 8, 2012 at 2:17 am

“LDIG, voices such as yours are exactly why the national Republican party will continue to fail.”

Voices like mine?…You mean voices like mine that recognize pure evil when they see it and aren’t afraid call what it is?

Go ahead, yuck-it-up and enjoy the afterglow of victory and by the way, a big heartfelt congratulations to the Democrats and the left wing of anti-American politics.

Enjoy it while it lasts as every dog has its day and I assure you that the rabid dog that is the increasingly anti-American, anti-Capitalist, marxist left will have its day on Election Days in 2014, 2016 and beyond.

My only question is how will they ever be able to remove the overwhelmingly noxiating stench of sulfur from the White House after two full terms and eight VERY LONG years of Barack H. Obama as President?

Ed November 8, 2012 at 2:33 am

If trolls are your biggest worry than yes, things may be as dismal as some are suggesting.

benevolus November 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm

“They offered two totally different views from which to choose.”

Heck, Romney offered four different views all by himself!

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

seenbetrdayz November 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

lmao.

saltycracker November 7, 2012 at 7:28 pm

4 million new Hispanic voters and Romney passed up Marco Rubio…..but we’ll never know……

Ed November 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Yeah, why would Mitt have wanted to double down on economic issues this election.

FWIW, the election was still really close and the country remains split 50/50. And they were challenging an incumbent. Not exactly sure the GOP needs to make sweeping wholesale changes as opposed to tweaking message and outreach to win the POTUS back.

Looking to 2016, even with Veep experience Biden is still Biden and Hill-dog has repeatedly said she isn’t going to run so it seems like there isn’t a natural heir for the Democrats.

I guess my point is this election seems like just the end of one phase of the Republican party. nbd.

analogkid November 7, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Most rational postmortem I’ve heard so far. And from a Democrat no less.

I think HRC will def run in 2016 though.

Buzz Brockway November 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I tend to agree with you Ed. I do think however, the GOP needs to do something to attract minority voters.

Also, the President had a tremendous operation in a number of key states. He had paid staffers on site for a long time, in some cases for the past four years. Romney on the other hand had to ramp up a grassroots operation in a couple of months. The length of the primary season hampered that effort. Thus Romney had to rely on State Party organization some of which were strong but others (Nevada comes to mind) were not.

As for the message, we need to be able to make the case to voters that small government and economic freedom are good things that will benefit their lives. We’re losing those arguments currently and if I had one criticism of Romney’s campaign it would be they didn’t effectively make that case.

Three Jack November 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I would argue the GOP should focus on attracting its fiscal conservative foundation back into the fold before worrying about playing demographic games with the pros (dems). How is the party of ornery ancient white good ol boys going to craft a message that appeals to minorities? “Hey, at least we don’t try to own you anymore, vote for me”…that’s the ticket!

Buzz Brockway November 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

The problem is we’re already getting all the votes we can get from white guys, there just aren’t many more of them out there. We need to take our message of economic freedom to minority communities and begin a dialog.

The Hispanic and Asian communities could respond well to a conservative economic message. Clearly the African-American community will be much tougher for Republicans to reach but we’ve got to try.

Three Jack November 8, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Buzz, the GOP lost 3M votes from 2008. Had the party gotten those, we would likely be discussing a Romney victory. Those votes were not minority, they were likely fiscal conservatives who either voted for Johnson like myself or simply stayed home.

Personally I think it is a fool’s errand to concentrate so heavily on minority voters possibly at the expense of the remaining loyal GOPers. Especially considering how much effort will be required to overcome past mistakes before you see even a minor swing in support. Here in GA, you guys passed HB87, please tell me how that encouraged hispanics to vote GOP in 2012?

Good column by big time pro-lifer Dan Calabrese on why the GOP needs to drop abortion as the big issue — http://www.caintv.com/TimefortheGOPtorethinkabortion-744. That alone would help grow the GOP by attracting fence sitters who vote dem/ind because of that one issue.

Lea Thrace November 8, 2012 at 5:08 pm

“Personally I think it is a fool’s errand to concentrate so heavily on minority voters possibly at the expense of the remaining loyal GOPers.”

Only problem with not focusing on minorities is that the currently strong demographic of the GOP (white, sometimes older males) is dying off and being outpaced in population growth. They have to find a way to compensate for that in my opinion.

Three Jack November 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Lea, agreed. But you have to be realistic. The GOP has spent the past decade specifically trying to alienate hispanics with their hard line on immigration. I find it hard to believe the party will be able to simply flip a switch and all of a sudden become darlings in the hispanic community….it is going to take years.

The GOP can replace older white male support by increasing popularity with females and younger voters much quicker by simply dropping all the socon bs.

The Last Democrat in Georgia November 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Good points, because no “message” better attracts Hispanic voters like a bunch of angry old white men screaming very angry things at them.

Likewise, no “message” better attracts vibrant young female voters to a party than a bunch of creepy old men telling them that they’re going to take away their contraception (which, btw, is used for more than just birth control) and make them carry to term dead babies and the babies of their rapists…Works like a charm with the ladies, everytime (fellas, try it while out on a date, you’ll see…).

seenbetrdayz November 8, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Might I suggest that we look at what bases we can close down overseas in places like Japan and Italy? I’d rather keep the ones here at home open because they are important to the economy. Sadly, it’s more likely that we will close down bases within our borders, as we continue to look for ways to subsidize the national defense of other nations.

Conservatives are recoiling in horror about these defense cuts, but the budget is bloated. We need to have an open mind about what we can cut. Democrats don’t want to cut anything welfare related and republicans don’t want to cut anything warfare related.

We can argue all day long back and forth over which is more vital, but the bills will come due regardless of what the money is spent on.

seenbetrdayz November 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm

As I’ve made the analogy before, a credit card company doesn’t care if I max out my limit on a new bass boat, or 10,000 cans of spaghettios to feed the homeless. They just know I owe them money.

Ed November 8, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Buzz, don’t forget you guys now have 30 governorships, redrew almost all the legislative maps and likely control the vast majority of legislatures.

Comments on this entry are closed.