Election Day Open Thread

If you’re like me you’re not getting much work done today. So, to help kill time here’s an open thread to talk about the election, what’s happening out there and what’s going to happen tonight.

Some numbers, purportedly actual early votes from Ohio, floated around the internet earlier today before being debunked. However, analysis of early voting totals, which are real, continues.

Some anecdotal election day observations from Instapundit.

The AJC’s minute by minute report.

The President’s campaign has paid some money today to promote the “#voteobama” hashtag on Twitter. You can take a peek at it here.

#votemitt, while not promoted, is attracting attention as well.

This is what the Rock Springs UMC polling place in Lawrenceville looked like earlier this today:

The polling places I drove by mid-morning all had steady traffic. Not unexpected in a Presidential election.

What are you folks seeing out there?

And because you won’t care anymore tomorrow, here’s Bad Lip Reading’s review of the debates:

• analogkid says:

I also live in HD 89 and was in and out in 3 minutes at 4:00 PM. I was voter number 748.

According to the pollworker, everyone came early this morning during the rain thinking that no one else would be there. #fail

1. Calypso says:

News video of the New Black Panthers’ thugs standing watch outside polling places in Philly. Again.

2. Mike Dudgeon says:

I had a church member tell me she voted for me in Fulton. But I am 100% certain that her house is not in my district – its on the other side of the major dividing line. Last time they had my district so screwed up a handful of people in Roswell voted for me.

3. drjay says:

since this an open thread, i will use this space to once again complain about the gop senate crop this year…they had a real chance in indiana and missouri, and a couple of others but they o’donnell’d themselves with bad candidates–whatever happened to choosing the most conservative candidate that can win–like buckley used to advocate???

• Trey A. says:

Too bad Linda Lingle didn’t up and move to the midwest. With her track record, she probably wins a senate seat in any state that is not the one Obama was born and raised in. Instead, she’s going to lose to the woman she defeated for the governors’ office in 2002.

• caroline says:

This really should not be a surprise to you. This is what you get when you fuse religion and politics.

4. Trey A. says:

Waited about 45 minutes this morning at the Marietta High Rise in Northwest Atlanta–a diverse crowd, lousy parking options and lots of little kids with their mommies. And I cancelled out Charlie’s ‘Yes’ vote on Amendment 1.

5. Max Power says:

2:30 just voted in Cobb, there was a line around the building this morning. At 2:30 I walked in and out in less than 5 minutes.

6. drjay says:

the potentially exciting surprise for me today will be whether they let me vote at all, since when my father voted early last week they gave him my info, he figured it out pretty quickly and got it squared away, but it remains to be seen if that was adequate to get me marked off as having voted already or not…it’s almost exciting to find out what will happen…

7. caroline says:

Nobody much at my precinct in Cherokee County but then there almost never is. The only time I have had to wait was during the 2008 presidential primaries and I was there almost an hour between waiting to vote and voting.

What is the deal where they scan the back of your driver’s license with one of those scanners that it looks like they use at Target? I guess a picture ID isn’t enough by itself???? It was beyond annoying and held things up a bit. If I had had a wait I would have really been livid about that scanner thing because they were having to scan things a couple of times sometimes.

8. Scott65 says:

I wanna know where ya’ll vote because at 11am I got to my polling place and was in line 1 hour and 25mins before I got to vote. I am in Dekalb just over the line from city of ATL…I would estimate this is a very left of center area

9. Three Jack says:

Only 1 presidential candidate in history has won without taking either his birth state or current state of residence – James Polk. Romney stands to lose both MA and MI, so he would really be setting precedent with a win.

On the other hand, the Redskins Rule favors Mitt. Redskins lose home game before election, challenger has won all but 1 time since the Skins started playing.

There you go, deep analysis.

10. View from Brookhaven says:

No line in beautiful Historic Ashfordhaven. You early voters got suckered.

Poll worker did scan my ID three times, so I’m pretty sure that means “the man” was trying to suppress my vote. However, I prevailed, so suck it.

Left all the Brookhaven related races blank. While I’m sure they’re all very nice people, I really don’t care who wins. I’m sure they’ll be arguing over dumb stuff like speed bumps soon enough. Plus, Rep. Lindsey told me that the city doesn’t really exist and I do not condone voter fraud. YMMV.

11. xdog says:

I voted in suburban Oconee County at 11:20 without a wait, although there were voters there when I showed up and more came in while I was voting and as I was leaving.

The locals have used the license scanner for a couple of elections. I remember because they’re never able to successfully scan my ID and have to enter the number by hand. I’m always afraid that electronic failure means being labeled a non-person.

• Daddy Got A Gun says:

I vote using my Georgia Weapons Carry License.

I voted this morning for Mitt Romney AND Barack Obama.

I’m hoping Barack needs a new job come January so I wrote his name in instead of my Georgia Representative (Sharon Cooper).

12. KD_fiscal conservative says:

Unfortunately, Lee is done for in the 12th. Those guys did great things considering the circumstances they were working with, but sadly, it just wasn’t enough….maybe next time.

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

Its over now, but I was basing it on an internal poll, a liberal group poll and the early voter turnout in Richmond county. I wasn’t the only one to see it, just the only one that wanted to admit it(atleast as a Repub.)…

• Charlie says:

“Those guys did great things considering the circumstances they were working with,”

‘The circumstances they were working with’ is code word for a safe Republican seat. Oh, that and about $1.5M of outside money.

• KD_fiscal conservative says:

No Charlie, “circumstances”… like running a candidate that has trouble speaking basic English and disenfranchises 10+ % of Republican voters. Or circumstances like having a candidate who’s IQ is a solid 40 pts lower than the opponent.

• Charlie says:

Those are the kind of circumstances that screw up the circumstances that they were given. Namely, spotting them 6-10 points on party ID and some big checks from DC.

I’ll have a bit more to say about this one at 1:00 today.