Walker County Gains National Attention Again

October 25, 2012 10:03 am

by Nathan · 8 comments

This time it’s nothing bad, but rather something that I believe is fairly unique in this day and age.  The Wall Street Journal  picked up the race between incumbent Republican Bebe Heiskell and write-in challenger Ales Campbell for sole commissioner of Walker County.  Ms. Campbell’s main plank seems to be, much like Republican primary challenger Paul Shaw’s campaign, promoting the change of the form of government from a sole commission seat to a board of commissioners.  I will note that it’s interesting that a write-in candidate in Georgia doesn’t have to sign an affidavit of candidacy as opposed to someone qualifying with a political party. The Wall Street Journal notes the tension between the two candidates as well as their supporters:

The race is as nasty or nastier than any national race this fall, thanks in part to incessant sniping from anonymous sources on local websites. Ms. Campbell and Ms. Heiskell, who have exchanged pleasantries for years, now aren’t talking, except for a brief discussion at a recent forum that both women described in frosty terms.

Ms. Campbell sighs when talking about her first experience running for office. “Being a mom, I have thick skin. Being a bus driver, you definitely have thick skin, but we’re talking about adults here,” she says.

Ms. Heiskell purses her lips when talking about people who criticize her or sole commissioner government. She avoids using Ms. Campbell’s name, referring to her as “my opponent.”

“I’d like to be beaten by somebody who can do this job,” says Ms. Heiskell, referring to Ms. Campbell’s lack of experience in managing a government.

I know one thing for sure.  Our county’s Republican Party supports Bebe, and I will be casting my ballot for her when I vote early on Friday.

drjay October 25, 2012 at 10:14 am

i literally know nothing about the person that is your counties sole commish, but it’s really hard for me to hear about the n. ga counties that still have this form of gov’t and not picture boss hogg in his white suit riding around in his bull horn cadillac…

griftdrift October 25, 2012 at 10:16 am

How will the Duke boys get out of this one?

Calypso October 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

There were people in that show other than Daisy and her shorts?

LaFayette Underground October 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Our Commissioner often wears all-white suits, which is why we made this graphic up earlier this year. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449702918383718

– LU

Calypso October 25, 2012 at 2:50 pm

That’s funny.

A Citizen Walker October 25, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Of course we have a write-in candidate that has a horrible personal and business financial record littered with unpaid taxes, liens from the state, IRS and assorted other unpaid bills.

Lafayettemoon October 27, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Considering you’re on Bebe’s payroll, I expect that from you. You’ll find your claims unfounded, which made Bebe look like the desperate antique that she is.

Ridgerunner October 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Nathan, I agree that Bebe deserves our vote, and I’ll be voting for her, as well.

Thanks to LaFayette Underground for the political comedy relief which you do so well. I often go to your page when I need a good laugh.

The campaign of Bebe’s “opponent” does seem a bit reminiscent of Paul Shaw’. The next best thing to being commissioner, after a failed attempt at the office oneself, would be . . .perhaps being invited to be an adviser in the administration of a write in candidate. Oh-wait, that actually happened? Yes it did! Now THAT’S FUNNY!

Comments on this entry are closed.