Morning Reads for Thursday, October 25

Gooood morning!

This week has been a little new for me.  I’m in sales; I travel; I network – and have done so since my early 20s.  This particular week I’ve been solely responsible for a12yo little girl while the bf is out of town.  While not a feat for most women, you’re probably snickering a little to imagine the comedy of errors I’ve enjoyed this week.  No worries – ballet, dinner, homework, chores, reading… I’ve got it covered like saran wrap.  Moose, the lab/pit, has even been walking me twice a day.

Parents will know that ITBS scores arrived this week.  Tuesday night was my first time deciphering percentile ranks since I was in school.  I’ll say it – I was floored.  I managed to stay calm in front of Princess Buttercup, but I about lost my mind.  We’ve been working on her grades (3 As, 2Bs, and a D), but that’s just it – both of us have been dutifully working with her on homework…particularly the D in Math.  Teacher conferences were Monday morning and nothing out of the ordinary was reported.  BUT, an ITBS report shows the very next day that Buttercup’s reading comprehension is in the 5th percentile?  5TH.  How can you have an A in Language Arts and such a low reading comprehension??  Something. Is. Not. Working.

Buttercup is the reason I turned my focus to researching public vs charter vs private schools a while back.  I want every option available to me to ensure her success.  It’s now personal.

Georgia

Inter/national

Whatevs

1. drjay says:

well, i wonder if those better romney numbers with females will include indiana, since he is apparently in commercials with murdouck, the most recent tea party freak that the gop has decided to shoot itself in the foot with (great job for my team, way to o’donnell what should have been an easy hold for the gop)…

• The Last Democrat in Georgia says:

Romney, and for that matter, Mourdock, is in no danger of losing the vote, female or otherwise, in Indiana as even the mere utterance of the words “Democrat” and/or “Liberal” in public are considered derogatory slurs vicious enough to ignite a brawl.

Democrats and Liberals are abhorred and despised in Indiana these days and Mourdock’s words, which shameless liberals have taken great pleasure in distorting to fit their own sick and twisted perverted political narratives, will not affect the outcome of the Indiana Senate race one iota.

• bowersville says:

To heck with Indiana. It’s Ohio, yes that Ohio.

US Senate candidate from Ohio Josh Mandel is described as strongly opposing abortion and here’s the definition:

Strongly Oppose means you believe: Abortion is immoral because it kills a human being, and should never be tolerated. `Roe v. Wade’ should be overturned and we should protest abortion clinics as other forms of injustice are protested.

Mandel is polling behind the Democrat for US Senate from Ohio. Now this from Mourdock? You know Governor Romney’s ad endorsing Mourdock mixed with Mourdock’s statements is running in Ohio where the fight is for Women’s votes? SHEESH.

And with the ballot question on life, GA is posed for the same fight at the General Assembly level.

• bowersville says:

Erick Erickson said it best:

It should also be a wake up call to the pro-life community that they need to do a better job working with pro-life candidates so, when they are asked the difficult questions, they do not walk into awkward soundbites about which they must do damage control.

• Scott65 says:

Josh Mandel is a horrible candidate…they should have done much better in their recruitment. He will lose because he too has diarrhea of the mouth after which he quickly inserts his foot. I loved the fact when asked if he thought a rape victim should be forced to have the baby he just nodded his head so there wouldn’t be a written record…lol

• Scott65 says:

You wont know the effects of his remarks for a couple of days in the polls. There is always a 2 to 3 day lag

2. Andre says:

The ITBS; the Iowa Test of Basic Skills; how that one little test dredges up so many unpleasant memories, especially the section on fractions.

I can easily pinpoint why a student, any student, would get good grades in a language arts class while also scoring low on the ITBS.

It’s because schools don’t teach reading comprehension anymore. They teach phonics. Schools teach their students how to call words, and little else.

I am willing to bet any student who was taught phonics can read any paragraph on the page. I’m also willing to bet that same student, when asked, can’t tell anyone what the words on the page meant.

There is a difference between reading and reading comprehension. And that’s what is wrong with our public schools today. Too many administrators believe that reading is more important than reading comprehension.

The Wikipedia article on reading comprehension says, “Many educators in the USA believe that students need to learn to analyze text (comprehend it) even before they can read it on their own, and comprehension instruction generally begins in pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten.

“But other US educators consider this reading approach to be completely backward for very young children, arguing that the children must learn how to decode the words in a story through phonics before they can analyze the story itself.”

I was taught the backwards way. I learned how to “read” when I was four. I learned reading comprehension when I was four. My mother taught me how to understand what I was reading at an early age, and I always scored in the 99th percentile on the ITBS reading comprehension test.

So the backwards way, I think, is better. Teach reading comprehension, and the phonics will work itself out.

3. WesleyC says:

I think you forgot to leave out the next sentence on the Romney women article: “And the president, in turn, has largely eliminated Romney’s edge among men.” This latter sentence makes me suspect the poll is probably fundamentally flawed. Neither claim is particularly believable.

4. saltycracker says:

In order to divert anxiety on the Fla/Ga game the media, as anticipated, is hyping up the passing hurricane (not the team). Hate driving in the rain…..

5. Baker says:

I’d just like to throw in my disgust with them shutting down traffic for Paul Ryan….and I like Paul Ryan…it’s not a partisan knock…it’s a knock on govt. in general. It just furthers the us vs. them, elites vs. foolish plebes meme.

Beverly Hall had her own got-danged driver who I believe made $100K a year and now we’re shutting down interstates for future Vice Presidents?

You shouldn’t get CEO-style perks because you are in government. I’ll allow the VP & P to get their own transport vehicles because Joe Biden trying to hail a cab would be crazy. In general though, this should be madness reserved for Arabs & Communists.

• Scott65 says:

At least the new MARTA general manager is going to take MARTA to work every day. Thats pretty smart and I’m surprised it wasn’t a requirement in the past

• Baker says:

Yeah, good point. I saw that and thought the same thing. I’ll be interested to see if anyone pays attention enough to really know if he is taking it everyday, beyond the first couple weeks. From what I read via Mme Saporta, he seems like a good pick.

• Scott65 says:

I have a good feeling about him too…and by actually USING the system he will also gain some trust from the employees which will help him in the upcoming contract negotiations as well as be responsive to the complaints from many of the riders. He definitely wants to attract more upscale riders and was successful at doing that at his past jobs

6. Scott65 says:

That was funny Bridget…especially him flying to Australia to surprise his girlfriend in the US…on their wedding day

7. Noway says:

Imagine my shock when I found out the congressman’s son who resigned over voter fraud was a democrat! Gasp…..

• SallyForth says:

Noway, if he’s a “democrat” that just means that he is “a person who believes in and upholds government by the people; advocate of rule by the majority,” according to Webster. Everyone who believes in democracy is a democrat. Ergo, even a member of the Republican Party is a democrat. I’m just saying….

• Calypso says:

Except the US is a republic and it is not rule by the majority, it is rule by law. If it were rule by majority then we could have many nasty rules, and a minority with little freedoms or rights.

But then again, if it were rule by majority we would also have free beer.

• SallyForth says:

Calypso, I knew somebody would come up with the old “we’re a republic” thing, just didn’t know it would be you.
          According to Webster, a republic is “a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.” We are a republic that functions via democracy.

• Calypso says:

How about we call ourselves a democratic republic and move on to the important stuff?

Now, where’s that free beer?