I Have A Question…

October 17, 2012 11:48 am

by Nathan · 24 comments

We ask a lot of questions around here.  I guess it’s like we run a polling institute or something, but I do have a question to the readers of Peach Pundit:  does this seem like an unusual election season?  I was talking with a local elected official the other day and remarked that it seemed like it was.  I’m inclined to agree with him.  It seems like there’s a lot of energy on Facebook about the current national election, but it doesn’t seem to carry through to physical action on the local level (i.e., volunteering to go door-to-door, making phone calls, putting up yard signs, etc.).  That seems to me like it’s unusual for an election year…especially one where the incumbent is fairly unpopular in this area.  Just comment below on your thoughts about this year’s election cycle.

Charlie October 17, 2012 at 11:51 am

Welcome to being a one party state.

Virtually all the campaign action occurs between a small subset of voters in the July primary.

In Presidential elections, we’ll receive one week of attention split with 10+ other “super” states.

In national elections, we’re “safe”, which means we can be easily ignored.

This is what a supermajority looks like.

Doug Deal October 18, 2012 at 9:05 am

This is why I want an open primary plan where all candidates are on the same ballot and the top 2 are selected in November. It gets rid of the runoff election (saving money) but it still keeps the majority to win requirement.

Chris Huttman October 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

Welcome to the facebook generation why knock on 500 doors when you can tell 500 people in one keystroke what you’re thinking (of course those 500 people will then do the door-knock equivalent of pretending they aren’t home).

AMB October 17, 2012 at 11:55 am

No one likes Romney enough to work for him but they will vote against Obama.

I have a question:

What is the status of eminent domain as far as Georgia outlawing its use for private owners (re the Kelo thing)?

Jackster October 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Well I for one have never done any sort of door to door, signage, or what have you until the T-SPLOST crap came through.

Now, I’m volunteering for the candidates I believe in, where as before, I never would have.

I don’t think Facebook is as powerful as you think it is – people have a hard time limiting their rants to anything digestable, memes are everywhere, and I’d rather see pictures of my friends doing cool things.

Charlie October 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Friends doing cool things? Facebook is about life platitudes featuring pictures of a cat.

Jackster October 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm

And people cross tagging twitter.

Charlie October 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I’m sitting right here you know.

Mark Rountree October 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

There are essentially very few local campaigns going on throughout the state.

By all accounts, there are only a dozen House races where there is any actual level of competition (if that), and one Senate race (Stoner vs Hill) that are of any serious interest.

Judicial races aren’t on the General Election ballot any more. Those are on Primary Day now. Gone.

On the county level, there are very few competitive elections across the state. Some interesting ones in Chatham County (Chair and down ballot), Augusta area (for DA), etc, but mostly quiet. The Democratic embankments were essentially finally overrun last August. Now it’s mostly just a few lone soldiers out in the woods. But unless Republicans grab the chance to nominate more minorities to office, the Dems will regroup and possibly pick up a few seats again in 2016 due to demographic changes.

John Barrow vs Lee Anderson will be interesting. Maybe the only interesting one, in fact. That race should be a blowout for the GOP but, by most accounts, it’s not been handled too smoothly. Anderson ought to still win, though.

Robin Wheeler October 17, 2012 at 2:58 pm

With the latest infusion from Americans for Prosperity….if Lee Anderson doesn’t win this, in spite of himself, …..I swear, it will just be astounding.

SallyForth October 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm

The big-money boys are going all in to beat Barrow, the last white Southern Democrat in Congress. I hope they all feel really good when the band cranks up “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” on November 6th.

Ed October 17, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I agree with what Charlie said. 2006 seemed like the last “fun” election in Georgia, maybe 2008. If you lived in Atlanta, 2009.

Then again, it doesn’t help things when there is like, nothing going on.

griftdrift October 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

You should run for something, Ed. Shake things up.

Charlie October 17, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Perhaps you two could both run for DPG chair again. That was fun last time.

Calypso October 17, 2012 at 2:09 pm

As co-chairs, or against one another? They’d make a good tag-team duo.

SallyForth October 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Charlie, grift and Ed ran for DPG chair last time? with P/P nom de plumes like that?

Ed October 18, 2012 at 8:08 am

I don’t like to drink anymore. Not sure how I’d fit in with Georgia’s elected officials.

Grift, myself and a ham sandwich (IIRC) all ran for DPG chair. Rumors swirled that a rack of ribs was entering the race but I uh–”prevented”–the ribs from running.

griftdrift October 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

“I don’t like to drink anymore”

Was this after you volunteered to pick up my tab one night? Of all the fiscal decisions I’ve seen over the years, that was easily the worst.

Ed October 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Again with the lies?

1) That was like, two years ago now.
b) You’re an enabler who listens to my stories and
iii) It was one beer so i could keep rambling.

Which reminds me of the days when I tool the steam-train to Shelbyville which was a damn fool idea because they hadn’t invented steam yet. Anyway, it was two pennies for the outbound and an additional two for the return…

SallyForth October 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Ed, I don’t like to drink anymore either – I just don’t like to drink any less. So I ought to fit in just fine, huh?

Baker October 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I bet for about 200-300,000 people in Ohio, this election is more “fun” than they ever would have wanted in their wildest imaginations.

Jon Richards October 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’ve got to disagree, at least about yard signs. The Gwinnett GOP has distributed over 6,000 Romney-Ryan signs here in Gwinnett, and the requests keep pouring in with at least 25 a day. Of course, ordering a sign that someone will deliver and plant in your yard doesn’t take much more effort than making a Facebook post, and our calls for volunteers to make GOTV phone calls don’t generate anywhere near the same response.

Buzz Brockway October 18, 2012 at 8:38 am

seenbetrdayz October 18, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Seeing as how both the DNC and the RNC railroaded their grassroots at the conventions this year, maybe it’s just that the grassroots is on strike.

I see it as a good sign, though. I’d like to think it means that people are just tired of putting up with crap from their own party leaders and don’t feel as motivated anymore to go out and beat up the ‘other side.’ If America is really lucky, folks may just stop voting altogether.

Comments on this entry are closed.